Help with my first reactor @notwanttobloweverythingup

• Hi guys,

I'm new to IC2 and before I ask my question, I'd like to congratulate the author(s) of the mod for the achievement. It's making minecraft so much more fun.

Anyways, I've got my little base setup with a couple of macerators, a couple of induction furnesses, an extractor and a compressor all powered by a MFE recharged through solar panels. I wanna move my base from up that mountain to a flatter terrain and build my first plant/diamond factory/nuclear reactor. I still need a lot of resources before I can craft a reactor and the related required machines, but it shouldn't take me so long to get them.
    I'm planning on doing this safely with the highest efficiency Mark I reactor posted in this forum, surround it with 2 layers of reinforced stone/glass and build my automated factory lines around it using buildcraft pipes and engines. Probably the most basic setup for the more experienced of you.

So my worry is related to the MFSU that will be connected to the reactor, and more precisely how it interacts with the reactor. I really don't want the reactor to blow up since it's very expensive and I don't want to have to gather all the resources again. So here are my questions:

1. If I power on the reactor being attached to nothing, free standing, does it build up energy in a internal buffer? Does it eventually heat up because there's nowhere to release the energy? And does it eventually blow up?

2. Same question about the MFSU. I know it won't blow up from being full, but will the reactor if the MFSU is full and the reactor has nowhere to send the energy? Or does the reactor simply stops, the same way a generator would?

3. Any other piece of advice?

Thanks

• Official Post

"1. If I power on the reactor being attached to nothing, free standing, does it build up energy in a internal buffer? Does it eventually heat up because there's nowhere to release the energy? And does it eventually blow up?

2. Same question about the MFSU. I know it won't blow up from being full, but will the reactor if the MFSU is full and the reactor has nowhere to send the energy? Or does the reactor simply stops, the same way a generator would?

3. Any other piece of advice?

"

I assume you are doing this after the reactor change ages ago, you are on 1.4.5, 1.5 or 1.6¿

(stupid spanish keyboard programme arrr i dont knowwhere keys are!!!!!!)

1. Not sure if it had a buffer, i dont think it does. The Reactor will continue to output Energy even if no cable is plugged in, so with nowhere to go the energy just disipates. Heat does build up though and depending on the reactor design how much it can hold and when it will explode.

2. Same as before, the MFSU will build up and stop intputting, the reactor will still be on just the energy will disapear until it has a place to go. The only way to turn off a reactor is to cut the redstone signal to it^*

3. As long as you have a good design and a safe way of automating (if you want to) you dont need to be causous. There are some good reactors in the main reactor thread, or you can make you´re own by googling "ic2 reactor planner v3" one of the pòsts, can find it cause on stupid spanish wierd microsoft 3000 BC edition computer

• Yeah, take a look at Requia's reactor design thread stickied above. Those designs are really among the best you can get for the buck.

• Thanks for your answer. So if the energy simply dissipates, a Mark I reactor shouldn't build up heat and the energy is just wasted (unless I connect my MFSU(s) to the reactor with red stone and a couple of logic gates to stop the reactor from operating when there's no more storage left), right?

I already looked at the reactor planner and the few set ups present on the forum. I also downloaded the stand alone planner to have a play and I must say I don't understand much about the components configurations lol, so I think I won't be too adventurous and stick to the safe mark Is for now, maybe upgrade to a Mark I SUC EA with 7 efficiency once I need more power and I'm sure I can get enough LKZ-condensators. But I've read it's a very expensive set up.

• Official Post

Stacks on Stacks of Copper, and thats about it. A Little refined iron and some other junk but mostly COPPAH

• I wouldn't bother with condensator reactors unless your chests are overflowing with redstone and lapis. If you have to produce the lapis for it, that eats so much into the efficiency that other, non-condensator designs give you more EU after all is said and done.

• Stacks on Stacks of Copper, and thats about it. A Little refined iron and some other junk but mostly COPPAH

So this is where the 'GET TO DA COPPAH' jokes go?

Seriously, look for some good Mk. I reactors. Which one depends on what kind of resources you have to invest immediately, and what kind of a continued resource drain you are willing to accept.