Posts by matjam

Well, I'll take a look about one of those and then I'll come here if it works or if not. About the fixed sound patch, I'm figuring out how to install it, but this time I guess I'll first try and if I can't then come for help. That's just one way to learn how to do it, isn't it? Thanks for your help!

Yeah, to be honest, I'd just wait until there is another release. There are other bugs that are imho pretty game breaking that have been fixed. Looks like Player integrated my suggested fixes so Audio will work in the next release too :)

If you have trouble updating the ic2 jar with my fixed class files, post in that thread, not this one.

What if someone, somewhere, with a very kind heart, upload a succesfull and clear instalation of this mod, without addons (so if someone wants to add something they're free to do.) and put it on a Zip/Rar file for n00b people like me to have a chance to play smoothly? I mean, it would be an easy way to go for some people who don't know so much about messing with all this stuff...

I've read some posts here and there and just can't find something helpful (someone in this forum once posted something related, but I wasn't able to figure out how to do it by myself, sadly :'c ). I have no error logs, 'cause the game runs and everything, just the sounds don't...

I don't think people are permitted to redistribute modified versions of the ic2 jar.

.jar files are actually a zip file. Java organises code inside the jar file, with each peice of code with a .class extension. You open the jar file with something like WinRar, and replace the .class files inside with fixed class files that make sound work. I have recompiled some of the ic2 classes with a fix that works, and provide the fixed files in another thread.

If what you're asking is for a minecraft.jar with ic2 installed, plus forge etc, then forget it. That's against Mojang's terms.

BTW, to install mods into the minecraft.jar, people should take a look at Magic Launcher or MultiMC. I personally use MultiMC, because I find the way it handles instances much better than ML.

IM saying the bug still exists and you are agreeing the bug still exists when nano is supposed to reduce damage significantly and quantum completely.

When the BT says the bug is "fixed", it means "fixed in the next release".

The bug was reported against 1.109.113. There hasn't been anything else released after that, that I'm aware of.

You'll have to wait for the next build.

you don't need to edit minecraft_server.jar

1. Download Forge.

2. Put forge and minecraft_server.jar into the same folder.

3. run the forge jar as you would the minecraft_server.jar. It will find the minecraft_server.jar and load.

on my linux server I have a script to restart the server automatically;

It's easy to do the same thing in a .bat.

4. Stop the server with "stop".

5. Put any mods in mods folder, coremods into coremods.

6. Start the server again.

Audio Fix

This patch implements the suggested fix described by me in the bug tracker: http://bt.industrial-craft.net/view.php?id=15

!! WARNING !!

No warranties expressed or implied. USE THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Do NOT bug the ic2 team if you have a problem with ic2 after installing these class files. You're no longer using a supported release.

Don't bug me, either. I only made a few changes to the code to make sound work, and recompiled it. I have no idea if something screwed up as a result of doing that. I don't know how I would fix it if it does.

That said, if you find an issue with audio playback, then let me know and I'll take a look.

This works for me. It should work for you.

These class files were built from decompiled source for 1.109.113-lf. It's unlikely it will work with anything else.

Installation

1. Overwrite the IC2.class, AudioManagerClient.class and
    AudioSourceClient.class files with the ones contained in this archive
    in the ic2 jar.

2. Rename the jar to something different so you know it's been modified.

3. Do not distribute this jar file.

4. Do not file bugs against IC2 that you find while using this jar. Load
    the official jar and test with that, first.

5. Do not ask me for support on anything other than sound issues. If you
    find a bug with audio, I'm interested, I'll take a look at it.

- Name/Nick: Nathan
    - MC-Forum Nick / IC-Forum Nick / Minecraft Acountname: matjam
    - Timezone you're living in, given in GMT+10 (Sydney, Australia)
    - The position you want to take: Code monkey.
    - Previous experience on the position mentioned above? A good spot to throw links at previous projects/activitys of yours.

Some (unexciting) projects here: https://github.com/matjam

I've been coding for over 20 years. Assembly, Pascal, Perl, C, C++, Java, a bit of Python. Most of it not publicly released. Most of my coding has been done on company time.

Worked on two bugs for ic2:
    http://bt.industrial-craft.net/view.php?id=15
    http://bt.industrial-craft.net/view.php?id=30

I do agree with the 'we don't need a new coder every 2 weeks',
    but we still need the help of community, whether by means of figuring out/finding/testing bugs and fixes.

Does that mean you will use fixes that are based off deobfuscated/decompiled code? Were the two bugs I worked on useful?

I'd like to know if time I spend on fixing bugs is not a complete waste of my time.

Be advised I generally ignore any sort of "Can I help" PMs, given we got a thread exspecially for that (and everyone PMing me indicates he didn't read said thread).

Sorry. It took some hunting to find that thread, it's in the IC2 forum, as a sticky, and you have to scroll past a list of all the forums in the ic2 section to see. Maybe you can understand why I didn't find it. I did look.

Though, you don't have any dev spots open?

For the love of god, why? The problem is already fixed, you just need to implement the fixes. I already have a working version of the latest 1.4.2 beta with sounds thanks to the fixes that matjam provided.

I PM'd Alblaka and RichardG, and offered to help fix bugs. No reply from either of them. No, "thanks", not even a "bugger off, we don't need your help".

I have spare time to work on bugs. I've already posted fixes for two bugs. However, I'm not willing to work on bugs if they don't want me to and aren't going to look at any suggested fixes. It's just a waste of my time.

I'd love to contribute my time to the project, because I love IC2, and it's personally a requirement for any game of Minecraft I play.

there is no "complete" fix.
    only partial.

The lack of any sound playing at all is fixed with my suggested fixes. The scaling of volume based on distance isn't perfect. There are some issues with sounds not playing when you get back into range. But they're separate issues. My bugfix is better than disabling all sound, imho.

Yep, it's the no sound bug: http://bt.industrial-craft.net/view.php?id=15

Strongly recommend using Magic Launcher. It completely removes the need to mess around inside jar files. Just add forge first, then everything after that. It even works with optifine.

Really keen to help any way I can. I've taken a look at most of the bugs on the bt. Proper access to source would make things a little easier. The deobfuscator tends to mangle things somewhat.