Posts by Thutmose

you would find iridium more than you would find slimes (Slime chunks generate at 10% chance

not anymore, slimes all over the swamps now (unless you have a mod on that replaces all vanilla mobs)

On the iridium subject: a way to have it spawn naturally, that would make it a bit more noticable to obtain (but still take forever to actually use) would be to make a type of iridium ore spawn in a layer at a certain depth, but have it only have some absurdly tiny chance of giving a useable dust (or require a stack of dust to make into a bar). This would make it look more like it is available, but still make it hard to get

Suggestion, diamond dusted iron tools. You get it.

@above, diamond is crystal carbon, you turn diamond to dust, you can't compress it back.

technically any carbon should be able to be converted to diamonds with the right equipment, just look at the current technology for creating synthetic diamond. most would use CVD (Chemical Vapour Deposition), some would probably use HPHT (high-pressure high-temperature) as well.

Unless the minecraft diamonds are very very large and the minecraft coal is very very small, the ratio of coal to diamonds from a proper manufacturing process should be one the order of 10:1 to 3:1.

edit: seems the wiki page on this topic is decent: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_diamond

edit: also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperdiamond for interesting fact that some synthetic diamond can be harder than natural ones.

Okay, I guess the method is good, and after checking the proportions of Ura in seawater, I guess it could be industrialized at a very high cost (ressources + EU/way of crafting maybe ?) But ... I guess if it should be implemented, others things should come before (ex way of getting Ura from Basalt/Lava/other mineral)

the main advantage of my suggestion is the fact that it can be extended to provide more than just the uranium. irl it can be industrialized to produce uranium at a very low cost relative to other fuels (uranium is absurdly cheap as it is, so 10 times really cheap is still cheap http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U…ng#Recovery_from_seawater $240/kg is about $530/lb, current price is about $40 or so, to be comparable to oil would need to be $240 000/lb or so, for coal about $40 000/lb or so). This sea water idea could be used as a way to provide multiple different needed materials, such as lithium, iridium, etc, and only when using the right fiber to exctract, that fiber is where you can stick the expense for getting certain materials you want to keep rare.

Edit 1: sorta, i was suggesting a special pump like thing that only works in ocean biomes and rather than giving water, turns fiber into a full fiber that you can then extract ore from. modeled after the current methods of uranium extraction from sea water.

Edit 2: The main inspiration for this idea is the currently existing Scrap boxes. They allow Cobblestone to be turned into most materials in the game. Also, using the right setup will produce materials fairly quickly. This water extraction method would allow for a more realistic way to obtain the materials, in a way where you can more easily choose what you get (rather than current systems of determining the probability of getting what you want and dumping the rest of the useless junk)

Edit 3: On the composition of these Fibers. From my understanding of basic principles involved, they would probably consist of a nanofiber polymer to maximize surface area which has been coated in the absorbent material. This indicates that a reasonable recipe would be to make carbon nanofiber from charcoal or coal dust, then to craft that with several dusts to represent the coating, then possibly cook that in a furnace to finalize the fiber. This would give a place to add an EU cost (the cooking of the fiber) as well as a way to make it as expensive as you want (you would have 8 types of dust to use, and up to 64 of each if you want)

Edit 4: for the material to coat the nanofiber with: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amidoxime_group#Amidoximes There is a set of basic structures used by the system the Japanese designed. the ORNL version will probably still be a similar organic compound, so you could even make a second intermediate involving carbon, nitrogen, water and then craft that with the various modifying dusts, then craft the result with the nanofiber, then possibly smelt it.

Edit 5: What i am trying to show here is that this method could be made arbitrarily expensive by just modifying the recipe for the fiber used. You could even make some of the fibers non consumed, but horribly expensive, so they are still "end game" due to the initial cost, but result in a renewable energy source.

Edit 6: on the mechanics of the extractor, you could have it act similar to the miner but in more than 1 dimension, where it places the fibers similar to the mining pipes. It can only place them inside water in the right biome, and the yield is based on the number placed. when the blocks are retracted they can replace themselved with water source blocks, but can only extend into a source block. This would make it easier to make the system need a large area of ocean to work in, rather than using 1 block bits of source water. Related idea: allow it to go upwards as well, then you can have some interesting looking ocean floor collectors

It supposed to be an (current) endgame energy source. And if you want Infinite energy source, you also could use Grengen. And I see you decided to simply ignore my advice saying that it would be so energy-consuming to create Ura from seawater that you wouldn't get any energy benefit. (And for something very, very expensive in ressources.)

uranium from sea water does not take that much energy, it can be selectively absorbed with certain fibers, from which the yellow cake (uranium ore) can be easily extracted. The main energy needed is for the pumps for flowing the water past the fiber. This is not the same extraction method used for hydrogen or many other compounds involving centrifuges, this is a much much cheaper and energy efficient method.

As for the being finite, with scrap you can already get an unlimited supply of most minerals, so that shouldn't be a concern. Stuff from ocean water is supposed to be practically unlimited anyway, just certain things are more difficult to extract.

As for determining if it is ocean water, you could do a check that it is in the right biome, then some sort of check for volume of water (when placing the extractor make sure there are more than a certain number of water blocks connected to the one it is extractring from, then have it only be able to use water it collects, not any other source of water)*. This way the only way to cheat it would be to build a giant artifical pond in an ocean biome, ie a waste of time.

*you could have it run a check on the block next to the water block it is placed in, make sure it is water, then check one next to that, and repeat for some large number. only if it is enough water will it allow the extractor to be placed at all.

The simplest way would be to ignore any of the above checks, and just have a biome restriction to ocean and beach biomes. and have the extractor not accept any other input besides the water surrounding it.

A possible mechanic for making the extractor more limited, would be to have it consume an extraction fiber, where different fibers can extract either specific or a range of specific materials, and take different times to do so. Then to make it more bulky you can have it require some large number of filled fibers to create a single piece of ore. also limiting the stack size of the unfilled fibers would then require a system to provide the extractor with fibers and remove the fibers when done. This would make it a bit more difficult to just have one machine that makes everything, like a high speed recycler turning cobble into anything you need.

What ? I could agree for Deuterium Tritium but ... Uranium is maybe contained in seawater, but I guess the exctracting price is SO expensive that you couldn't get energy profits even with using it in Nuclear Reactor ^^. At least, if you really want something that create energy out of nothing (or almost nothing), there's greengen/Fusion Reactor.

using real life numbers, extracting uranium from sea water is at least 600 times cheaper (ie using the current, ineffecient systems, not using the one developed by ORNL this year that is a few times faster, and probably cheaper) per energy unit that oil, after accounting for how low the concentration in the water is.

The uranium from sea water however is currently 10x more expensive than mining it (again, expected to be less after implementing the new technology by ORNL, which would probably drop to the 2-5x more expensive range).

Is it possible to differentiate between ocean water from other sources of water? If so, then an alternate method of obtaining uranium would be to extract it from seawater. Currently it would cost about 10x more to extract from seawater than from mining. Maybe have a thing that can extract minerals from sea water (maybe some sorta thing to check that it is getting water from the ocean?)

This would provide an alternate way to get more of the elements you use.

see http://www.seafriends.org.nz/oceano/seawater.htm#composition for details on the ratios naturally found, or you could base it off the current rarities in game (ie if iridium ore spawns once bet 5 chunks, have 1 iridium dust per 16*16*5*70 (90k ish) or so water units processed)

side note: a single thorium reactor with 2 quad cells and 6 reflectors feeding some recyclers and cobblegens making scrap boxes generates materials rather quickly.

The small luminator alteration i would like done is to change the hit box for breaking to be the same as the model, accidentally breaking it when trying to hit the block next to it is rather annoying...

Thinking about more ways to integrate the use of fission reactors to fusion, i came up with the following idea:

Make it such that if water cells are placed in a fission reactor which is above some high temperature they turn into hydrogen cells over some time period (thermolysis rather than electrolysis). This temperature should be very high, as the RL equivalent temperature is about 2500-3000K for this to occur. This would make high temperature reactors useful for something other than breeding uranium and excavating chambers.

The H-bomb is a thermonuke

Edit: You would need hydrogen to fuse, but it all would make sense to implement it into the game, considering gregtech adds all the materials necessary

I am aware of that, is there already one in the mod? i did not see it...

edit: the main components for the upgrade to thermonuclear would be a lithium dueteride, a Depleted uranium blanket and some sorta elliptical neutron reflector.

I know you mentioned not adding many explosives, but one that would make sense would be an upgrade to the nuke: the thermonuke since you currently have lithium and deuterium, as well as the existing depleted uranium, combining those, along with a beryllium neutron reflector would make a nice way to increase the power of the nuke by a considerable factor

just another random idea of mine.

an alternate suggestion to my electrolyser related idea would be to introduce an "industrial Electrolyser" then you can use that to convert the bauxite dust into aluminium ingots, and water directly into the hydrogen cell and compressed air cell. This is a bit unrealistic, in the sense no one currently uses the same system for both, but they do operate via very similar principles, and under similar conditions.

(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hall-H%C3%A9roult_process for aluminium electrolysis and see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-temperature_electrolysis) The process for Aluminium occurs around 1300K and the one for water anywhere between about 1000K and 2800K

I wouldn't say semiconductive, because it doesn't conduct EU.

On a side note, Where is the newest version of forge? All i can find is the one with 49 and i need 50.

go take a look at the difference in conductance between semiconductors and conductors, it is a factor of about 10^7 or more. ie semiconductors are that much more resisitive, therefore will not appear to conduct EU. I was refering to the operation of the redstone torch and redstone circuitry, where it exibits semiconductor properties.

Also, the main reason i mentioned chromedust was that, since chromium is the impurity that makes rubies red, then it might be the impurity in redstone that makes it red.

Does anyone know the exact components of Redstone?

My current Idea per 64 Redstone is: 4 Rubydust, 24 Pyritedust, 1 Endereyedust and 35 Calcitedust.

Not sure about the exact components, but i assume it would be some sort of semiconducting material, so probably silicon/germanium/aluminium oxide + impurites. The aluminium oxide would be the main component for rubies, so rubydust / chromedust / aluminium dust would make sense. maybe include a silicon cell instead of the endereye?