Posts by Trifler

Minecarts allow you to place a Chest in them, so... :

Theoretically you should be able to create a larger boat than the vanilla boat that has space in the back for placing down a block while you stand near the front/middle. You could allow the placement of any generator right there in the boat. I'm not sure if this would be easier than the earlier post about placing the generator into the boat's GUI or not. Pick whichever is easier.

I suppose if you wanted to go nuts you could go with the GUI method and make the entire boat modular. You could have lots of optional slots. You could have two slots for engines. Two would increase speed but at a cost of increased energy consumption. You could have a slot for a BatBox. Maybe a couple of generator slots so you could use a regular Generator and a Solar Generator or two Solar Generators, or whatever combo you wanted. Allow the placement of a Chest. Maybe have both Propeller and Jet (the kind that suck in water from the front of the boat and shoot it out the back) engines. The latter might require the addition of a Pump in an otherwise vacant Pump slot. A two Solar Gen configuration might provide enough power for one Prop engine, but not enough for two, and not enough for one Jet engine. However, the BatBox adds some flexibility to that. Anyway, just a brainstorm there. I'm not asking for all that, just putting it out there. :)

I had another idea that might be more interesting:

The Nuclear explosion tears a hole in the fabric of Minecraft space and time. What this really does is convert some blocks into or create a number of mob spawners for Nether mobs (Nether mobs in the overworld!). They should be concentrated near the bottom of the pit. Then you can get your DOOM on and try to get near the spawners to plant a TNT to get rid of them or die trying.

If having radiation damage from blocks is unfeasible, what about just turning the nearby blocks into a new block type that's completely useless? Something that absolutely nothing will grow on. Make it break, the way Glass does if mined, so it can't be used for a building material. I'm sure there are many ideas for something like that.

We should definitely be allowed to get infinite water. Other than that, yes I agree it should stop when it hits water/lava/whatever liquid if it has a Pump attached.

Really though, it seems like it would just plain work better if the Pump was a standalone unit.

It would work if they changed it so that you made the Fuel *first* and then used the Canning machine to put the fuel into cells for use in the Jetpack. Then we could use the straight Biofuel in our Generators without having to use Tin, while still requiring the Tin for using it in the Jetpack.

First off I want to say this is sounding very interesting. :)

However, I am concerned by the talk of using Water Cells. If this is a Geothermal power system, it should generate steam from straight water, not water in cells. I would also prefer to work with straight lava than with Lava Cells. The current GeoGens don't use cells. Ablaka doesn't want to allow cells to be refillable, so its better to make the GeoGens not use cells at all (except maybe for Cooling Cells). In addition, not using cells for the water or lava will allow them to be pumped straight in.

This is a great idea. Using 1/4-block thick solar panels would be marvelous. That alone would be a nice improvement to the existing system. Having them not able to output power except to another panel or to the solar generator would be great since it would eliminate the need for cables.

Would your power drain per block idea cause too much CPU/server strain? After all, it has to calculate a number for every connection between two panels. It seems like it would be the same as if all the panels were cables and you had all those intersections. If it turns out to not be a problem then that's fine, but if it is, then maybe something like this would work as an alternative: Instead of losing energy for every block of distance, you could make each panel produce only a fraction of 1 EU. Since it rounds down, you would have to have enough panels to reach a whole number before it would do anything. Then set a maximum number of panels per generator.

So, if I use 0.25 EU per panel as an example, then you'd need at least four panels before the generator would do anything. If we place a maximum of 20 panels per generator, then our generator would cap out at exactly 5 EU of output. It would more or less accomplish the same thing while requiring only one CPU/server calculation per tick: 0.25 * X (where X is the number of panels).

Out of curiosity, I wonder if Eleron (Redpower mod creator) used separate Block IDs for all those vertical slabs, covers, pillars, and molding or if he/she managed to put them all under the Block ID of the whole version of the block.

This sounds interesting, but I'm not sure I understand what it is that the Electronic Workbench is supposed to do? Does it just allow the creation of recipes that the regular Workbench can't make? From the picture I see you added what looks like a Generator to the UI. Are you saying you want to eliminate the ability for energy storage blocks and transformers to charge devices and make it so only the Electronic Workbench(es) can charge them?

For a lot of solar configurations, using torches would require removing solar panels where the torch goes. This is particularly the case with flower configurations.

One nice thing about the glass is if you leave one or more blocks empty between the glass and the top of the solar panels, you can let light into your house as well.

IMO they're both good solutions. You can choose depending on your situation and how you want it to look.

Make it an "EU Splitter" block instead and I'm for it. :)

It doesn't really make sense as a cable.

In earlier versions of IC there was a splitter block, but it was removed when the ability for cables for form intersections was added (I think that was the reason... ). Anyway, with your suggestion, it would be made useful again by giving it a UI that allows the player to adjust the amount of EU sent to each of the output facings. However, I would suggest making it use actual EU rather than percentages to make things simpler. If the possibility of non-standard packet sizes is a problem, then another method would be to have the UI let the player set the number of packets that go in each direction. For example, if the input is in 32 EU packets, then you could say you want two packets to go to the right for every 1 packet that goes left. This allows far less fine-tuning though so being able to set the EU per direction would be nicer.

IMO if you're going to use energy teleportation it should be via a block of some sort rather than a single piece of cable.

Also I see a potential problem: How does it know *which* Iridium cable to send it to if there is more than one within range?

I'm assuming the recipes for fuel on the wiki have been updated for IC2 by now:
    It would make a lot more sense if you made the Biofuel first and then put it into the cell, rather than extracting it from the cell to make it into fuel. :|

Also, the entire point of Biofuel is that it shouldn't use up finite resources. Otherwise you might as well just use regular fuel. The Tin for the cells screws the entire concept up. If we were able to make liquid Biofuel first that could fill the reusable Fuel Cans or run through pipes for players with Buildcraft, then we'd be back on what Biofuel is all about. Then, allow Biofuel to optionally be put into a cell for an EU increase.

Ive used this for PVP servers. You run it underneath their feet with a high voltage cable full to bursting, in a dark or shadowy room. This is cheaper than a tesla Coil esp when you need to run the wire anyways, just to prevent power loss insulate the cable where the mob or player cannot come into contact with it

So higher tier cables for sure do more damage than other cable types then?