Posts by sdbaynham

Well, yeah... and he fixed that... so why are we still here?

when a huge breakdown like this occurs, those affected have a right to know what happened, what's getting fixed, that those responsible know how serious it is, and I have a right to some sort of guarantee that it won't happen again.

Look, I know that relentlessly defending even the dumbest bullshit is how you feel like you're a part of the IC2 dev team, but the feigned ignorance and intellectual dishonesty here is getting out of control.

Uh, no, they don't...

What the hell do you think a license is? This community tries to put their random licenses on the same level as stuff like open source licenses. A license is an agreement between creator and downloader. Both of us have responsibilities. I have a responsibility to link and give appropriate credit, they have a responsibility to ensure the permissions the license promises stays intact.

Well, if you put your pack thru Feed the Beast, you probably won't have that issue. I mean, come on, Feed the Beast supports custom modpacks. Why not just use that?

1. "We are not accepting custom packs at this time."
    2. If the only way I can be assured that the IC2 team will honor its own license is to distribute my modpack through their favored launcher, then it sounds like the IC2 team is lying about their license. Stop bringing this weak shit in here, IC2 has a responsibility to either live up to their own permissions policy or change it to something they can live up to. And when a huge breakdown like this occurs, those affected have a right to know what happened, what's getting fixed, that those responsible know how serious it is, and I have a right to some sort of guarantee that it won't happen again.

So no, you're a forum gadfly who thinks his fanboyism elevates himself. You're nobody.

So while I'm not the developer of the main, doesn't mean you don't have reason to worry...

The odds of you completing something I feel the desire to install doesn't keep me up at night.

Plus, you didn't answer the question. Are you now hindered in your ability to trust the IC2 dev team?

Um, yes, of course. Of course having my players randomly be told that I don't have IC2 permissions, when I do, disturbs me. Of course my ability to play IC2 being turned on and off like a lightswitch at the fickle whims of some guy hinders my ability to trust IC2 as a mod. Yes, if I can't get some very serious answers from RichardG I'm going to be installing illicit coremods or removing IC2 entirely. Obviously. I don't want to resort to those things, though, that's why I'm here.

Translated:
    "BOW TO MY WHIM RICHARDG, BECAUSE MY LOGIC IS RIGHT AND YOU ARE WRONG AND UNICORNS AND PENIS JOKES AND SO FORTH YOU SCRUB!!!!"

-----------------------------

I really don't see any reason why you need "I'm sorry", beyond be able to say that you 'pulled one over on a mod author'...

Does "pulled one over on" apparently mean "got an apology after my players were targetted incorrectly by DRM made by"? This is a serious issue for anyone who plays a modpack and isn't still a holy warrior in the technic wars.

EDIT: I want an apology, because I want a confirmation that RichardG recognizes this issue as being as serious as it is.

Okay man, it affects people, you are angry about your modpack (and some other) being "wrongly" targetted. I don't know the real situation, but if he is wrong about your modpack will fix it soon.

I don't understand the scare quotes around the word wrongly. RichardG removed Big Dig from the blacklist and now I am trying to figure out what happened to begin with, whether I need to be worried about it happening again, etc.

It will affect affect all of your players , not us (so it doesnt include me) :D .
    We are all humans, we all do mistakes, we all screw with stuff (and other people) sometimes.
    He will fix it Soon (TM).

It affects any players of any modpacks anywhere, since all of them are in danger of being targetted. Also please read the above.

I hate triple posting, but I want to be absolutely clear about this. When RichardG has a beef with me regarding permissions (or erroneously THOUGHT he had a beef with me), he didn't PM me. He didn't handle it quietly in private, where I could have corrected his error. I didn't get a private message about his issues. He broadcasted a message to my players saying my modpack was illegitimate. So no, we're not going to handle this in private, since apparently RichardG likes his beefs to be public. I see that now that it's his mistake, though, the opinion has changed.

I personally think RichardG has made a mistake while organizing the blacklist.

It is a mistake that is impossible to make if you're actually checking whether mods include permissions, so I would like to know what happened, what will be done in the future to fix it, I would like an apology for the players that were not only affected but were told by one of their mods that I was NOT legitimate. And I would like some sort of guarantee that this won't happen in the future. I don't know how much I can trust such a guarantee, since I would consider IC2's license a guarantee that I will not be targetted by DRM if I follow the rules. But apparently I can't trust Alblaka's guarantees as long as RichardG is contributing to IC2. So perhaps I can trust RichardG's guarantees if he would deign to make one.

In this thread, Richardg We Did Nothing Wrong

RichardG said he'd DRM-blacklisted my pack at some point in the past and then unblacklisted us earlier today. Here's the problem: my pack has always respected modder permissions and I have always included a link to IC2 and credit for the IC2 team.

So I think I have a right to know the following:

1. What process is RichardG using to determine which modpacks to DRM, if he didn't even notice my mod list (it's in the tab entitled "mod list", by the way) or the permissions list I maintain (it's in the tab entitled "permissions").
    2. What process changes have been made to deal with this screwup?
    3. Exactly when am I going to get an actual apology instead of having my thread locked?
    4. Can you give me one good reason why I shouldn't include a DRM-stripping coremod to protect myself from you in the future?

This is a serious issue, legitimate players playing a legitimate pack were directly targetted by a modder's DRM. As a modder myself and a modpacker who respects modder permissions, I have a right to an apology and to know what happened, not to have my thread locked after Magus Union berates me for my forums membership.

If you can link where you are citing IC2 as per the VERY SIMPLE distribution policy, then I'm sure that issue can be resolved...

Goons are notorious for not following rules because 'they can'. I was merely pointing that out. If you are so hot and bothered by people making the association with you to Goonswarm, then why not distance yourself from them?

Or use Feed the Beast for your Modpack configurations?

Are you for real? How is it that you are capable of finding a random forum post citing me as a member of the something awful forums but you are not capable of locating the http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/details/big-dig-pack.57/ official page for the modpack we're discussing. Look at the mod list.

The problem isn't that I'm blacklisted- this has been determined upthread, I am not blacklisted. You could have discovered this by reading the thread you're chattering in. The problem is that RichardG's DRM is affecting my players DESPITE THE FACT THAT I AM NOT BLACKLISTED. And despite the fact that I have done everything modders have asked of me in assembling my pack, I am continually being caught in the crossfire of modders' endless war on technic, to the point where I am about to have to INSTALL ANTI-DRM crap developed by the permissions-hating plus team just to get the IndustrialCraft team to hold up their end of their license. Maybe you should stop trying to poison the well by talking about what forums I post on, read the thread, and start thinking of serious solutions. Because I have tried my damnedest to color inside the lines with this modpack and I am just about at the end of my rope.

If you wonder why people refuse to get permissions, it's because of people like you who make this community about factions and taking sides instead of about trying to make fun things for people to play.

Considering that it is, in fact, a Goon Modpack, it only validates the point many have made...

Rules, right?

What rules? Are posting on the something awful forums against the rules? Big Dig has permissions for its mods- you can verify that by visiting the page. In addition, I give proper credit and link to IC2. Are you saying that I'm not allowed to have permissions because of what internet forums I use?!

Someone told me that what's probably going on is, if one of my users has one of the blacklisted packs installed, it will stop them from playing any technic packs while the pack is installed. That's stupid, I don't want to have to install anti-DRM to get this fixed, can't someone just turn the DRM off?/

This is getting nuts, did RichardG actually block any modpacks that *don't* credit IC2 properly?

Hi, yes, he targets several modpacks that don't properly credit IC2. But those guys have a coremod that removes the DRM so they aren't actually affected. Someone pointed me to the blacklist and it doesn't have Big Dig on there, so it sounds like what SpwnX is saying, that his DRM just blocks random technic packs, is what is going on. Some of my players can use IC2 and some cannot. I'd really appreciate it if the DRM was removed until this is fixed, especially since none of the targeted modpacks are actually affected anyway.

EDIT: Here is the blacklist - removed

I am the maintainer of a pack called Big Dig hosted through the technic platform. We have ALWAYS gotten modder permissions and NEVER included a mod against a modder's wishes. We have a full-filled-out permissions page, a mod list with a link and credit for industrial craft. There is NO reason to DRM my modpack! If this keeps up, I'm just going to forget about permissions because it's a big hassle and modders still come after you just because they hate all modpacks! I've kept Thaumcraft 3 out of my modpack and have done a TON of support helping users install it manually because you guys said that was the way to stay out of trouble but now you KEEP GIVING ME TROUBLE ANYWAY so maybe I'll just put it back in.

Thanks for nothing jerks.