Posts by agentwindbreaker

When I saw the title, I thought "Oh, finally someone who knows!"
    Since when I had IC1 in 1.7.3, I always gen'd the SMP map with the seed "gargamel" and I always went to that epicly huge cave with epicness (Always were 6 diamonds etc.) but I noticed between the 5-6 maps I gen'd that sometimes things were different, like there were waterfalls where there weren't, or there was a lavafall were it indeed wasn't supposed to be (According to the vanilla map) and It was weird. I still got my 6 diamonds each time :)

Yeah I still think IC2 does something to terrain as when I used the Xray in MCEdit and it took me a few minutes to find diamonds, where on a normal world I can find them almost instantly. Now I'm on Singleplayer Technic pack 1.8.1 and I've found 6 diamonds already (or I should have, but a certain Mr. Creeper took them before I could ;)). Though back to the point somethings definitely up with the terrain generation. Also I did not know about that seed so next time I start a world I know what to use :)

i have it installed right and also i have a other server and it only happens on my ic2 server also i started a new world!

So you and everyone playing on the server has put the vy.class (player's crash hotfix) into their minecraft.jar? Because when I was playing SMP with my brother we had a similar problem and once we installed that it never crashed again.
    I believe this crash only seems to happens around houses (possibly caused by chests) So once you and EVERYONE on the server has the vy.class hotfix, it should work. If this problem continues then the usual things apply (EVERYONE starts with a clean minecraft jar, and installs the mods IN ORDER (with the vy.class being last) and if that does not work I don't know what will).
    (I also took a look at the modloader crash thing and I'm no expert but I saw some mention of vy.class in there)

Out of curiousity what are you looking for in this GPS that the map doesn't already do?

Well from the OP and some suggestions my idea was that the GPS would feature - waypoints, zoom in/out, shows a larger area, centered on player, shows XYZ coordinates without the F3 lagometer, draws 1 eu/s and will use batpack power (and to balance this a way to turn it on/off). But I am liking your idea of a holographic map table kind of thing, which would be more powerful.

Like I said, it's a private, dedicated server, I host the server at the same time I am playing MC (I connect via localhost:1337) [nice port, eh? :D]
    Anyways, I have re-installed, and updated the bukkit mods (I host a bukkit server) into the latest versions, and it still happens...
    >.>
    EDIT: I don't want to double post:
    I have only tested with meself, since I started it (RP-Style) and no one is so far on FB or Skype... So i guess tomorrow or in 2 days I can try and test it with friends.

How are you doing IC2 on bukkit? I thought it was on a permanent no? If there is some kind of conversion for IC2 that might be it, as as far as I know IC2 multiplayer was designed for vanilla SMP.

EDIT: Saw on another post something about an unofficial version of IC2 on the bukkit forums, if that's what you are using it's probably something to do with the fact IC2 SMP was designed for the vanilla server. Might try IC2 on bukkit myself and see if I can replicate the problem.

First off, putting this in support because I'm not sure if it's a 1.8 thing but not sure if it's a a bug either.

So, onto the topic. I have set up my own server that I play with my brother with IC2 1.15, Buildcraft 2.2.1, the IC2 addon Advanced Machines, and Minefactory Reloaded 1.2.2. (I also have Rei's minimap installed client-side, but I doubt it's the problem). So my brother and I have been playing for a day or two, and we have not encountered one diamond. (and we have made huge amounts of layer 16 diamond shafts, and explored many layer 1-16 caves. We have also encountered barely any redstone, which again I'm not sure if it's a 1.8 thing. However, what has pointed me towards IC2, is that we are encountering MASSIVE amounts of copper. I'm not sure if this is 1.8 or IC2 related so any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Also not sure is this is an SMP issue, as in IC2 1.00 in singleplayer I had no problem. Will test later.

I mostly suggested it that way because some of the features you proposed would be kinda over powered in a mobile version imho.

I understand what you mean that's sort of way I thought of a sattelite or relay dish kind of thing, just some sort of thing you have to make before you can go around with a supermap. Maybe there could be a placeable block and a GPS, you could use the placeable block to load different areas into the GPS, and I think it would definitely be a good balance that the portable GPS would not be able to have an entity tracker.

maybe u can use this GPS system and add into :Jetpack: or :Electric Jetpack: tho get navigate :Jetpack: :Electric Jetpack: and you can put way point on and it brings you automatically like a pilot mode XD on a interactive map thingy~~ would require lots of coding im sure but would be sooooo AWESOME~~

I don't think they would ever code an auto pilot but a HUD just like the minimap would be cool but I think in another post Alblaka said they would not do anything to change the HUD so oh well. Though once you've put it into your jetpack how would you get it out? :P

Personally if i was going to make something like this for a mod like IC (not that I can just thinking about balance wise) It would likely be a non portable one, more like a holographic map table then a portable map tablet. Add on the ability to zoom into a certain section and then transcribe that onto a normal map, as well as copying maps that are from places much farther away.

Could even then link it up to the soon to be computers and give it the ability to track player and mob movements on it with whatever sensory nodes you might have placed out in the field.

I like your idea about using sensors for player and mob tracking though in my opinion one of the strong points of the GPS would be that you could use its functionality anywhere, without having to place down blocks. Though I guess the functionality you described of being able to manage a much larger area and print it onto different maps fulfils (sort of) the same functionality.

When I said that I meant once you put the iron treetap into the tree it would produce more resin compared to just bashing a wooden treetap into a tree, I also hate going through my graveyard of rubber trees whenever I need to make some cabling.

I just meant that I think any of the features being suggested here should be an upgrade to the Clock, not a separate device. Industrialcraft upgrades a lot of vanilla items so it makes sense to upgrade the Clock. Likewise, the Clock is used to make a map, so it really fits. I was not thinking of displaying the time in digits.

EDIT: Actually, it could be a Compass instead of a Clock. Don't know why I didn't think of that before.

Well I was thinking of putting a compass in the recipe but then I realized they don't stick an actual compass into a GPS but I guess it would make sense in a minecraftish way to have a compass in the recipe

EDIT: Updated Recipe

:Cable: :Dynamite Remote: :Cable:

:Refined Iron: :Industrial Diamond: :OD Scanner:

:Empty Cell: :Advanced Circuit: :Empty Cell: Note - Dynamite Remote = FreqTrans Empty cells = RE Batteries Diamond = Screen OD Scanner = Compass and Industrial diamond can be substituted with a normal diamond.

Or as previously stated make them tick very rarely. It's not like radiation instakills you IRL...

Unless there's some fudgy code limitation I'm pretty sure the evolved form of the OPs suggestion would be workable.

Well it's entirely possible that they could base radiated blocks off cactus as the uranium mod I saw in a yogscast mod spotlight did pretty much the same thing as cactus, damaged you if you stepped on uranium ore and destroyed items if they landed on it.

Alright so now we just to need to bug Alblaka or someone who makes addons to code this :D

Also, 2 extra features that could be good ones. 1. Death point - (though I guess it only applies if you have 2 GPSs) and 2. Mob radar (if this is implemented it should take like 20 eu/s)

So an updated features list would be -

Zoom functions
    Centered on player
    Waypoints - (color coded like in minimap mod?)
    Consumes 1 eu a second and has 2,000 eu storage for 33 minutes and 20 seconds use
    Draws power from batpack after (or before?) its own energy reserves have depleted
    Shows XYZ coordinates (like using F3 but without that annoying lagometer in the way)

Also - should it have a "cave mode" like the minimap mods? Not sure on the realism (a GPS that can magically make a map of a cave?)
    Also opinions on an on/off function? Would be extra coding and not that badly needed but I think it would be useful to turn it off if you want to have it with you but dont want it draining power.

Definitely no satellite, and i'd say no to the discovery/standard modes either. It should function exactly as the standard map, but with zoom features, ability to place markers/waypoint, and the view should center on the player. Should consume about 1 EU every second and should be able to store up to 2,000 EU (33 minutes and 20 seconds)

The sattelites were really just a realism suggestion but I do like your waypoints idea, its like Rei or Zan's minimap in a realistic way :) also do you think it should be able to run off batpack?