Posts by warbaque

I've been looking for good and efficient automatic sorting / crafting and all around item processing solution (using rp2 + tubestuff), but haven't found anything yet that I would be happy with. Maybe I'm just spoiled by logistics pipes and magic they provided :)

Any suggestions?

Ah, that may work. but i still prefer my compact design =)

I made some calculations for fun:
    Your compact design with tower height of 16 -> effective number of windmills 58.2 per 25 squareblocks -> 2.33 windmills per block
    My horizontal design with 40 block long tin cables -> effective number of windmills 148 per 8x48 squareblocks -> 0.39 windmills per block
    With 6 blocks between them you can fit 7 of them on top of each other -> 2.70 windmills per block
    But wait, it gets even better. You can actually quite easily build those 4 blocks apart without making adding obstructions much harder -> 9 on top of each other and windmill density of 3.49 :)

HIGHEST SAFE altitude is 191.

I assume highest safe altitude is 191 with 44 obstructions?
    As far as I remember correctly the formula for max EU/t is 1.5 * 30 * (y - 64 - number of obstructing blocks) / 750 and windmills have a change of breaking if they output > 5EU/t

I've already tought about that way of placing windmills, however it is not space efficient, as you have to use lots of horizontal space (which is generally limited in SMP servers).

Ah, but you can easily build those on top of each other. Just add some obstructions as you go :)

Come on, why people doesnt even seem to know about my windmill tutorial?
    Link : SpwnX's WindEngineering
    It has the best designs, for maximum eu/t possible without any chance of breaking.
    So, just go there and leave windmills as it is or i will lose my "job" (wind engineer) =P

Windmill breaking exists as long as it is a way to make windmills not perfect, so my job is to counter that.

I see your windmill designs and realise that lowest generators produce 20% less EU compared to highest ones and cry for a bit.

My solution: turn those towers sideways ->

Lowest altitude: 191
    Every wind mill works at maximum efficiency (effective altitude :147)
    Single module has theoretical max output of 518EU/t

I'm now wondering if I should add MFSU for every 2 modules and make them 40 tin cables long. Average output should be then 491EU/t for 2 modules combined.

Use tin cabling, copper is way too resource intensive, also, I don't think this will happen as no other generators have configs to get rid of the problems that they have.

Max lossless length for tin cables is only 40 blocks and single Wind Mill is capable of melting it. Thus it isn't usable in those scenarios I pictured.
    Copper/Gold cables on the other hand are easily capable of transporting 128EU/t for any distance for cost of 1.25 copper and 0.0625 gold per block.

Let's say that we have to move energy distance of 200 blocks (of course we can just teleport crystals, but let us ignore that for now)
    Tin can't simply be used.
    Copper + Gold: 128EU/t, lossless, ~cost 250 copper and 12.5 gold
    Glass Fibre alone: 512EU/t, 0.98% loss, ~cost 50 diamond or 33 diamond and 67 silver
    Glass Fibre + Gold: 512EU/t, lossless, ~cost 45 diamond and 7 gold and 73 iron or some less diamonds and some silve
    Glass Fibre + EV: 2048EU/t, lossless, ~cost (I'm too lazy to calculate, but more expensive than Glass Fibre alone and EV alone combined)
    EV alone: 2048EU/t, 0.78% loss, ~cost 50 iron

Come on, why people doesnt even seem to know about my windmill tutorial?
    Link : SpwnX's WindEngineering
    It has the best designs, for maximum eu/t possible without any chance of breaking.
    So, just go there and leave windmills as it is or i will lose my "job" (wind engineer) =P

Windmill breaking exists as long as it is a way to make windmills not perfect, so my job is to counter that.

I like your designs :)
    Still it's propably more efficient to just build a geothermal plant or coal plant with tree farm, but before you build one of those a simple windtower seems good for early game.

Really, Coalplant surely generates a good amount of energy, but producing 2,4 coal per second would need a BIG autofarm.
    And wind power if used efficiently generate much more than solar,water and works all time. [Check my Wind engineering at lag-free tutorial]

If you're not using bonemeal, single generator needs around 15 trees to supply it constantly. -> 48 generators needs 720 trees which is only area of 27x27 blocks. And on top of that rather easy, fast and cheap to build ;)

Definately faster and cheaper than any windfarm :)
    Btw automated watermills produce 4EU/t, which in my opinion is completely broken and redicculous mechanic.

I like this idea, will make Fire-and-forget generators slighly less worth making.
    Btw, i always tought that generators that need some kind of fuel should be buffed.

Gerators that need fuel should be buffed?

Sure if you use only IC then you're propably right. Since anything that requires your attention all the time just simply isn't fun to use so wind/solar/water are simply better than coal/geo/nuclear.
    But if you use any other mods alongside with IC that allows automation then balance turns upside down.

Personally I use only normal generators and geothermal early game and automate those as soon as I can. And when I can afford it and have enough uranium turn to nuclear power.
    I'd like to use early also windfarms just because they look cool and are fun to build but since I don't want to bother with them breaking constantly I just don't play with them.

Windfarm:
    32 generators, 50 LVTs, 2MFE (for internal storage and to make sure 0 energy is wasted during high winds and storms), 216 copper cable and 12 gold cable
    100% maximum effiency and 0% losses
    128EU/t lossless cable with lenght of 200 costs around 250 copper and 12,5 gold (50LVTs, 100 copper cables, 50 gold cables).
    Breaks all the time.

Average output: 120,96EU/t

Coalplant:
    48 generators, 8 LVTs, 1 MVT, 50 copper cable, 8 gold cable
    100% maximum effiency and 0% losses

Average output: 480EU/t, burns 2,4 pieces of coal per second

Geothermal would be even easier. And feeding lava is propably easier for most than building a good treefarm / superfuel production line.

Windfarm would actually be feasible early before you can start building bigger geothermal / coal plants, but since it breaks constantly and you would have to bring it's efficiency to 1/3 to get around that annoyance it just isn't worth it anymore.

TL;DR Fuel using generators are vastly superior to wind/solar/water already.

As far as I know, this is best non-CASUC design there is (0.2EU/iron/t). And there's nothing that gives more EU/t per used resources.

Currently I use only:
    CASUC reactors, capable of putting 3.7EU/iron/t
    Geothermal plant, 1.2EU/iron/t
    Coal plant and automated tree farms, 0.8EU/iron/t
    Wind Farm, 0.2-0.3EU/iron/t

I think that 100% safe non-CASUC reactors should also be affordable and usable for those who want to use their uranium, but don't want to play with redstone or fear of explosion.

Update:

Storage blocks:

Transformer blocks:

Dannyboy submitted cable texture replacement, check it out.

WIP means work in process :)
    Looks good I'll add them as soon as I have time to. Added

Dang, I was looking forward to nerdraging at him :D

Although it's arguable that the basic concept of nuclear fission/fusion is common knowledge...

Edit: Also funny how he called STEAM turbines "rocket science" ^^
    Edit2: Outb4 steam rocket

Why do people keep referring rocket science as hard to understand topic, when it's actually quite simple.
    Some equations http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsiolkovsky_rocket_equation combined with aerodynamics and it gets even simpler when we get out in space ;)

Yea I'm not a fan of the flat iron sides, I prefer the detailed unique ones.

I really like your designs.

Default textures make reskinning a bit problematic at times if you don't wish to touch class files.
    We have 7 basic shared textures: Iron Machine (iron texture) bottom, side and top, Refined Machine (bluish iron texture) bottom, side and top and Advanced Machine.
    Most machines use those. Iron and Electro Furnaces are iron coloured and rest are bluish.

Side covers all 4 sides unless otherwise noted (front texture for example)

Electro Furnace has own front (On and Off)
    Canning Machine has own front (On and Off)
    Macerator has own front (single texture) and top (On and Off)
    Extractor has own front (On and Off) and sides (On and Off)
    Pump uses Extractor front at sides
    Electrolyzer uses Extractor side at sides
    Compressor has own top (single texture) and front (On and Off)
    Recycler uses compressor textures, but has own top (single texture)
    Miner has own sides (single texture) and bottom (single texture)
    Electro Furnace has own front (On and Off) and uses Advanced Machine as top

Mass Fabricator uses Recycler top as front, Ectractor side at sides and Advanced Machine as top
    Terraformer has own side (single texture) and uses Advanced Machine as top
    Tesla Coil has own single texture for all sides
    Teleporter uses Tesla Coil as top and Advanced Machine as sides

Generator and Geothermal have own front (On and Off)
    Solar has own top (single texture)
    Wind Mill has own side (single texture) (uses default for front and back)
    Water Mill has own side (single texture)
    Nuclear Reactor has own side (On and Off) and top (single texture)
    Reactor chamber has own side (single texture)

For example texturing Nuclear Reactor that is completely hidden by chambers is a bit frustrating since you are left with static Chamber side, and normal top and bottom textures :/

I would like if Chamber shared texture with Reactor indicating if it was running or not and most importantly share some Cerenkov Radiation <3 Static texture for that wouldn't fit

Information

Hi everyone,

I've been getting quite a few requests to continue with my soartex inspired texture replacement and start working with IC². But since I hardly have any time to spare, and on top of it I'm not skilled enough with photoshop to meet my own high standards and editing single texture takes forever, I'm asking help and contribution from community. If at any time you feel like you have minute to spare and think that this is the day to draw new enhanced rubber ball, do so and send your end result to me so I can add it to this pack.

Idea is to have customisable texture repository for IC² where users can send more content and try to update existing textures. In the mean time I use tool made by flying sheep until I can replace it with something more functional and suited for this task.

There's currently no upload option or autoupdate yet, so you'll have to send me your files and I'll update manually. But I'll implement something better eventually :)

• Submissions

For example if you wish to edit and update some textures. Just send me block_0.png and little note what you did. png-file may be named whatever you like.
    "I remade 32x iron and electro furnace textures, here's warbaque.png file that contains the changes!"

• Installation

• Click download link to the file you wish to customise and download

• Customise textures to your liking and click image when happy

• If block textures, save as block_0.png, else if item, save as item_0.png

• Move files to industrialcraft-2-client_VERSION#.jar/ic2/sprites/

64x textures

32x textures

Screens etc...

FAQ
    Nothing yet :)

This will propably spread to other mods in the future such as RedPower and BuildCraft if there's enough interest.

Definately a great idea. I love it.
    It reminds me of one project I did for Java course some time ago at our university. Virtual machine that simulated tribes of robots, which were running assembly-like RoboTalk language. It was rather amusing that last coding problem had nothing to do with Java, but actually writing robot AI with RoboTalk, and then pit your tribe against others :) Grand prize was 4 movie tickets and knowledge that my tribe won 99% of all of its matches.

54 lines is quite restrictive, but you can still certainly do some rather intelligent bots with it.

Subprograms, loops, gotos, bot memory slots, capability to scan area and communicate with other bots...

I posted a similar suggestion recently, asking for a change to the cable models to work more like eloraam's redpower mod. Unfortunately
    changing the models for the cables and having them work the way Alblaka wants is easier said than done. He is however planning to add
    new cable types, including some visual cue as to whether power is running through them. Maybe some day he can implement cleaner
    looking wires, but for now its something we just have to overlook.

In this case, definately function over form.
    But when speaking in topic of how cables should look in my opinion, I would choose Eloraam's style over BC pipes. They just fit better and, well, looks more like cabling :)

Eloraam's wiring is truely beautiful.
    But apart from looks, best parts of Eloraam's mod is definately independent and differently coloured cables and most of all budled cable. Possibility to run multiple signals in single cable is simply awesome.

Uninsulated copper wire: mainly used for connecting differently coloured cables to each other, doesn't require rubber. To balance, it counts as two pieces when calculating distance loss, it's more damaging and even low voltage >50EU may hurt you.
    Colored cable: built with rubber and wire. All current rules apply. Doesn't connect with other cables but bundled cable and copper wire.
    Bundled cable : connects to all colored cables, but not copper wire.

Personally I don't really care how wiring looks like, as long as it has good functionality. Currently Eloraam's redstone wiring seems to have both. Great functionality and also good looks. I'd like to see both incorporated into IC EU-wiring schemes, but especially the former.

EU's don't have voltage/amperage. They just have 1 value. Therefore, what you are suggesting would just be creating energy out of nowhere.

Not really
    HV transformer would detect size of packet,
    if input packet size < 2000EU: HV output = 2000EU packets
    HV output = 2000EU*2^(log_2(input packet))

->
    input/output packet:
    1-1999 / 2000EU
    2000-3999 / 4000EU
    4000-7999 / 8000EU
    8000-15999 / 16000EU
    16000-31999 / 32000EU

thus you would receive 2000EU more max output per added chained HVT. Though I'm not saying I would like this aproach. For example to reach 32kEU packets you would need 5 chained lossless HVTs, but to actually reach 32kEU/s using this system you would actually need 31 HVTs. 16*2k -> 8*4k -> 4*8k -> 2*16k -> 1*32k
    Currently to feed single HVT fullspeed 2000EU/s you would need 32 storage units. Thus actually sending 100kEU/s as nn04 mentioned isn't really feasible in any scenario.

Biggest problem is moving that EU out of storage. I would actually prefer if all my storages could be configured to output only HV.

Where would one even need packets > 2kEU? There would be little to no gain from this.

tl;dr - I want higher voltages to be attainable easier, atm to get up to 96K EU/s I have to use 48 HV Transformers which is a huge pain, I think there should be an easier to use block.

You seem to be missing something. To get up to 96kEU/s you would need 48HVTs, 1500MFEs/MFSUs(@64EU/s) and lots of cable (and I really do mean lots of it).

Only real benefit you would gain from bigger packet size would be possibility to split current 5-6 extra times. Distance loss is neglible in any scenario anyway.

Name/Nick: warbaque
    Timezone: GMT+2
    Position: Coding, debugging and testing. I can also help with sprites. Hmmm, what about animated textures for some blocks?
    Previous experience:
    I do have experience with all sorts of coding and also rather skilled at that. And I have also written Java for work.
    I did 64x texture replacement for IC: http://www.minecraftforum.net/…xtures-for-soartex-users/ but other than that I haven't worked that much with sprites.

I would like to add that I'm social, helpfull and also easy to get along with :)
    Good traits when working as part of a group.