[Suggestion] Config option to disable windmill breaking

• I'd like to disable windmill breaking from game because I'd love to build my wind farm redicculously high with good efficiency.

Windfarms like this:

• Use tin cabling, copper is way too resource intensive, also, I don't think this will happen as no other generators have configs to get rid of the problems that they have.

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• Official Post

Come on, why people doesnt even seem to know about my windmill tutorial?
    Link : SpwnX's WindEngineering
    It has the best designs, for maximum eu/t possible without any chance of breaking.
    So, just go there and leave windmills as it is or i will lose my "job" (wind engineer) =P

Windmill breaking exists as long as it is a way to make windmills not perfect, so my job is to counter that.

• Use tin cabling, copper is way too resource intensive, also, I don't think this will happen as no other generators have configs to get rid of the problems that they have.

Max lossless length for tin cables is only 40 blocks and single Wind Mill is capable of melting it. Thus it isn't usable in those scenarios I pictured.
    Copper/Gold cables on the other hand are easily capable of transporting 128EU/t for any distance for cost of 1.25 copper and 0.0625 gold per block.

Let's say that we have to move energy distance of 200 blocks (of course we can just teleport crystals, but let us ignore that for now)
    Tin can't simply be used.
    Copper + Gold: 128EU/t, lossless, ~cost 250 copper and 12.5 gold
    Glass Fibre alone: 512EU/t, 0.98% loss, ~cost 50 diamond or 33 diamond and 67 silver
    Glass Fibre + Gold: 512EU/t, lossless, ~cost 45 diamond and 7 gold and 73 iron or some less diamonds and some silve
    Glass Fibre + EV: 2048EU/t, lossless, ~cost (I'm too lazy to calculate, but more expensive than Glass Fibre alone and EV alone combined)
    EV alone: 2048EU/t, 0.78% loss, ~cost 50 iron

Come on, why people doesnt even seem to know about my windmill tutorial?
    It has the best designs, for maximum eu/t possible without any chance of breaking.
    So, just go there and leave windmills as it is or i will lose my "job" (wind engineer) =P

Windmill breaking exists as long as it is a way to make windmills not perfect, so my job is to counter that.

I like your designs :)
    Still it's propably more efficient to just build a geothermal plant or coal plant with tree farm, but before you build one of those a simple windtower seems good for early game.

• "loseless" constructions pretty useless, if taken in account price and time cost to build...

Not really with windmills, 3 tin : 9 cables, therefore 1 tin : 3 cables, on average it will take about 117 cables to reach ground level (Y 64) and two LV Transformers, so only 39 tin, some wood and some copper, (plus obviously the cost of the windmills) it isn't really that expensive.

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• Come on, why people doesnt even seem to know about my windmill tutorial?

I see your windmill designs and realise that lowest generators produce 20% less EU compared to highest ones and cry for a bit.

My solution: turn those towers sideways ->

Lowest altitude: 191
    Every wind mill works at maximum efficiency (effective altitude :147)
    Single module has theoretical max output of 518EU/t

I'm now wondering if I should add MFSU for every 2 modules and make them 40 tin cables long. Average output should be then 491EU/t for 2 modules combined.

• Official Post

HIGHEST SAFE altitude is 191.
    I've already tought about that way of placing windmills, however it is not space efficient, as you have to use lots of horizontal space (which is generally limited in SMP servers).

• HIGHEST SAFE altitude is 191.

I assume highest safe altitude is 191 with 44 obstructions?
    As far as I remember correctly the formula for max EU/t is 1.5 * 30 * (y - 64 - number of obstructing blocks) / 750 and windmills have a change of breaking if they output > 5EU/t

I've already tought about that way of placing windmills, however it is not space efficient, as you have to use lots of horizontal space (which is generally limited in SMP servers).

Ah, but you can easily build those on top of each other. Just add some obstructions as you go :)

• Official Post

I assume highest safe altitude is 191 with 44 obstructions?
    As far as I remember correctly the formula for max EU/t is 1.5 * 30 * (y - 64 - number of obstructing blocks) / 750 and windmills have a change of breaking if they output > 5EU/t

Ah, but you can easily build those on top of each other. Just add some obstructions as you go :)

Your math is correct, and building those on top of each other is not that simple, adding obstructions to whole tower is not easy.

• Your math is correct, and building those on top of each other is not that simple, adding obstructions to whole tower is not easy.

Actually it's rather simple: just build another 6 blocks higher and add full lline of obstructions (each generator is affected by 9)

• Official Post

Ah, that may work. but i still prefer my compact design =)

• Ah, that may work. but i still prefer my compact design =)

I made some calculations for fun:
    Your compact design with tower height of 16 -> effective number of windmills 58.2 per 25 squareblocks -> 2.33 windmills per block
    My horizontal design with 40 block long tin cables -> effective number of windmills 148 per 8x48 squareblocks -> 0.39 windmills per block
    With 6 blocks between them you can fit 7 of them on top of each other -> 2.70 windmills per block
    But wait, it gets even better. You can actually quite easily build those 4 blocks apart without making adding obstructions much harder -> 9 on top of each other and windmill density of 3.49 :)