Posts by JDCollie

Uhm, we can already send 2048 packets, it's called a HV transformer that's redstoned. Over HV x4 cable. The batteries can't take that current though, so it's got to be converted down again. I don't know, unless you could hook up four MFSUs on the line at the other end. Before connecting it to power though, as less than 4 would likely blow up. I'm not even sure if it'd work.

Anyway, you could just place a LV transformer every 4 blocks of copper cable. Although that'd get tedious and expensive, but oh well.

For those new to it, which only recently included me. At first glance each upgrade in cable seems to reduce efficiency, but this is misleading. Higher voltage cables may lose EU twice as fast, but they carry 4 times more energy, so they're actually twice as efficient as the lower voltage cable. So gold cable is twice as efficient as copper, provided that a full 128 EU packet is sent. So HV cable would be 4 times as efficient with 512 EU per packet, or actually like 16 times more efficient than copper as long as you use redstoned transformers to bump it all the way up to EV(Extreme Voltage) at 2048 EU per packet.(HV cable can actually handle up to 2048 EU packets) This is what the HV transformer is for. Glass fiber can only handle 512 EU packets, but it's the most efficient of all, but really expensive.

The previous comments about the efficiency of high voltage cables aren't wrong, I think they might be missing the OP's point a little. His recipe is very light on materials. I believe he is thinking of Ultra-LV as a way to power semi-distant machines early in a IC2 world, as opposed to when the higher voltage cables are available.

I'm not saying that this makes his idea more or less valid, but it might help to discuss it on these terms.

Grappling Hook

:Refined Iron: :Refined Iron: :Refined Iron:
    :Electronic Circuit: :Empty Cell: :Mining Pipe
    :Industrial Diamond: :Refined Iron:

The diamond in the recipe is actually an RE-Battery, but I couldn't find the battery in the available smileys. The empty cell is for pneumatic pressure to propel the hook, and the mining pipe makes a great barrel. :D

What it does:
    The grappling hook fires out a line that attaches to the first solid block face that it hits. Unlike the grappling hook mod already available on the Minecraft forums, the IC2 grappling hook attaches to the face it hits, and then pulls the player to the place where it attaches. The player will stay secured there even if he switches to other items, such as tools.

The hook disengages if the player "fires" it again, if the player takes damage, if the block to which the hook is secured is destroyed, or if the player crouches (this would be a nice way to detach without having to let go of whatever item you are using.) When disengaged, the player will fall straight down if there are no blocks supporting them (as opposed to being somehow propelled away from the block face.) The hook can be immediately refired if desired.

Should the hook hit a mob, it will pull it to the player, much like the fishing-pole, but with a great deal more force. (Don't accidentally hook creepers, kids)

Uses:
    Primarily for working on tall constructs, such as hard to reach Solar Flowers, or in delicate redstone constructions where placing a block is either impossible or would affect the redstone current activity. Another obvious use is just getting around in caves and such.

Power:
    The grappling hook uses an RE-battery as a power-source, and thus has the same power reserves as the chainsaw and drill. The hook consumes a small amount of power when fired, a larger amount when drawing the player in (dependent on distance to be traveled, and if feasible to program, weight of the player's inventory), and a small amount constantly as it holds the player in place. Detaching requires no power. Because of its small power requirements, the grappling hook can be run off a batpack.

----------------------------------------

I know the jet-packs fulfill a similar function, but this grappling hook would provide a more precise option for construction concerns, and does not have the mobility to really edge out the jet-packs in the travel department.

I think he's asking for a very low packet transmission medium that has very high efficiency. (Say, max EU current of 10, but only 1 EU lost every 50 meters of LV cabling)

You need a cable to go with your transformer however, as the EU loss is determined by the cable, not by the voltage it carries. The transformers exist (as I understand it) to prevent cables from getting burned up by EU overload.

That, and lasers are cooler than metal fences (you've got to give me that one :D )

The other advantage is that for a conductive iron fence to be powered, it needs something to be powering. I do have a question though; if a mob/player come in contact with uninsulated wiring and receives a shock, is that shock drawn from the current? (i.e., I touch a wire connecting a batbox to a furnace, the current being 5 EUs. When I touch it, does the furnace become unpowered for a tick because the packet was discharged into me? Or does it keep operating just fine, the damage being independent of the current?)

If it does cause an actual current discharge, then a dedicate laser fence is better because the current is already allocated with the express purpose of dealing damage, whereas with the iron fence, the machine being powered would lose power while to mob/player was in contact with the fence.

OP, when the word "sexy" was created, they had you in mind. :thumbup:

As for the energy conversion from BC -> IC energy, could you post the conversion ratio (like 1 bucket of oil : EUs)? I'd like to see the conversion on paper.

Whoops, need to read the original post more carefully!

I was thinking... would the geothermal generator be a good place to start in creating a BC fuel/oil -> IC EU energy generator? It already has a reservoir interface; perhaps it could be modified to accept BC waterproofed pipe input?

Laser fences are composed of two components, a emitter, and a receiver. When powered, the emitter creates a beam of energy between itself and any receiver placed in a direct line from any of its sides, up to four total (No beams will be emitted from the top or bottom) The emitter can be deactivate by application of a redstone current. The maximum distance a receiver can be located from an emitter and still create a laser fence is 12m.

The emitter requires a constant power supply to remain active, and consumes energy based on the distance between it and its receivers, and the number of receivers the emitter is working with. Due to the high energy nature of laser fences, medium voltage input is required and up to high voltage is allowed.

Upon contact, the beam will inflict minor damage, knockback, and cause the offender to burn briefly. Contact with the fence will cause the emitter to double its power consumption for that section for a cycle. Beams are also a light source, albeit a minor one.

Receivers are able to interact with multiple emitters (up to four, one for each side)

Attempting to power an emitter who's beam directly intersects another emitter (within 12m) will cause the receiving emitter to explode.

Emitter Recipe:

---------------

What do you guys think?