Laser Fences

• Laser fences are composed of two components, a emitter, and a receiver. When powered, the emitter creates a beam of energy between itself and any receiver placed in a direct line from any of its sides, up to four total (No beams will be emitted from the top or bottom) The emitter can be deactivate by application of a redstone current. The maximum distance a receiver can be located from an emitter and still create a laser fence is 12m.

The emitter requires a constant power supply to remain active, and consumes energy based on the distance between it and its receivers, and the number of receivers the emitter is working with. Due to the high energy nature of laser fences, medium voltage input is required and up to high voltage is allowed.

Upon contact, the beam will inflict minor damage, knockback, and cause the offender to burn briefly. Contact with the fence will cause the emitter to double its power consumption for that section for a cycle. Beams are also a light source, albeit a minor one.

Receivers are able to interact with multiple emitters (up to four, one for each side)

Attempting to power an emitter who's beam directly intersects another emitter (within 12m) will cause the receiving emitter to explode.

Emitter Recipe:

---------------

What do you guys think?

• That, and lasers are cooler than metal fences (you've got to give me that one :D )

The other advantage is that for a conductive iron fence to be powered, it needs something to be powering. I do have a question though; if a mob/player come in contact with uninsulated wiring and receives a shock, is that shock drawn from the current? (i.e., I touch a wire connecting a batbox to a furnace, the current being 5 EUs. When I touch it, does the furnace become unpowered for a tick because the packet was discharged into me? Or does it keep operating just fine, the damage being independent of the current?)

If it does cause an actual current discharge, then a dedicate laser fence is better because the current is already allocated with the express purpose of dealing damage, whereas with the iron fence, the machine being powered would lose power while to mob/player was in contact with the fence.

• think it would be safer with activation by redstone not deactivation and also have a small energy storage, enough for 30s or so, just to prevent power outages cus of accidentally broken cable or powergrid replanning

Ever notice when forums have a suggestion board, there's a small group of idiots who just hang around that little forum section? Yeah, I'm one of those guys. (c) by That one guy