Posts by MJEvans

According to the wiki, the IHDs are supposed to freely exchange heat among the neighboring components, it's self, and the reactor hull so that the temperature is equal.
    http://wiki.industrial-craft.n…Integrated_Heat_Dispenser

However, the temperature of all the IHDs remain very slightly above 0 long after my reactor has cooled off. Long after all the neighboring cooling cells have returned to normal. The IHDs should always balance the heat such that they wind up with the empty portion of any remainder.

Yeah, I just ran my own first design on my crappy laptop while at work today (I wanted to see the results at the end and that was a perfect time to have my hardware do nothing). All of my cooling cells returned to normal but the IHDs now have (full) green bars beneath; I assume this prevents them from being used later to say, create additional reactor chambers? Or do I need to let them sit even longer and fully recover? (I don't recall them having health-bars before)

This is the design: http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…b6=1n10101001501521s1r01r

It's a +3 chamber Mark II-1 EC, but it's much lighter on resources. Dezu's above design is very likely the limit of what can be done going SUC, automated bucket brigade, or using a redstone timer to pulse the reactor (I explore that idea in another thread).

I'll probably try out the redstone pulsed breeder idea next, but that requires shifting a few things around (redstone is /far/ easier to route in from the side in my case since I set it up in a small bay next to my temp hollow abode).

While this is not technically a bug, I really do think that the voltage (eu/t) should be added together for melting threshold as well as machine destruction.

You are half correct. Taking this to RL terms, electricity is all about pushing/pulling electrons around (which oddly have a 'negative' charge, and in DC flow from negative to positive, but that's an entire different discussion). Voltage is how badly electrons want to move; think of voltage as how high something is relative to something else. Current is the rate at which the electrons are flowing.

Voltage (between two points) == Current * Resistance
    Power (in watts electric) == Voltage * Current (and a few other logical identities, but this is the one relevant to our discussion)

At present the resistance of cables is superconductor* but only up to a specific voltage, at which point they instantly turn in to explodium; this means they can handle potentially infinite (really there's a limit due to resistance and possible input points) current over their length.

In reality the /resistance/ of a cable isn't even fixed; it's variant depending on the material's properties including things such as temperature and other forms of environmental radiation. For most common types of wiring though the general rule of thumb is that a given purity of material at a given thickness will have a vaguely stable resistance at a given range of nominal voltages. As more current flows the material, of course, has more flow to resist and thus the rate at which it self-heats rises. The temperature rising typically increases resistance, which makes the cable generate more heat, which increases resistance further, which can begin a fire. This is one thing circuit breakers prevent; cables are given a safety margin so that they never reach that resistance and breakers trip when the draw threatens to reach that safety (soft) limit.

Now, back to your 'added together' thing. Generators are only ever added together at transformers; they each have their own coupling to a shared core; think of this as similar to independent legs running on a gravity incline powered treadmill. The output is mixed together.

Now there's an interesting thing to exploit.

V=IR (I is the term for current; I believe it was inductance, but that class was years ago)
    P = IV = I*I*R = V*V/R

Remember that resistance is fixed (it's a property of the cable), Only voltage and current can be played with; further over long transmission distances the resistance tends to be rather large. Large enough that when graphed out, current is almost always the thing to reduce. By 'stepping up' the pressure at the generation area the voltage used to deliver /power/ is increased and the current required to deliver that decreases proportionately; ultra-high voltages allow for a longer transmission sweetspot by selecting the correct balance to minimize losses.

Real life also has other physics that dictate it's most efficient to insulate only on a wire's supports, and to otherwise use air-gap insulation (free) over the rest of the wire. The large distances wires are strung require a high tensile strength material which also happens to conduct fairly well. While I'm not sure what it is exactly, I'm confident that it's at least steal based and maybe an alloy that improves the overall qualities. Also any oxidation on the outside of the cable would service as free natural insulation (but would require an overspeced cable to tolerate the loss of that conductance).

The other simulator yields some interesting results.

The best I can do so far is 4 + 2/3rds (4.67) and it doesn't matter if it's huge or tiny. The only thing that seems to change is the energy/time.

Two chamber (1 extra):
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…8g6ue62x4u91a31yo67n9ufr4

Three chamber (2 extra):
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…0udxlqjdj47e22hm18bcguaf4

Full (7) chamber:
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…itwfygcx7bd1c2kdw7yqld0e8

(The above showcases the worst case cooldown, best case energy production mode. If you don't care about eU/t then just setup a timer to work with this and replace any inner column of uranium to any degree with cells to re-enrich.

I can see why someone would want to save 1M eU; however this seems like such a horrid trap that I'm amazed the recipe exists to allow it. You'd think the energy could at least be discharged in to an MassFab first. (Or maybe the models should be altered to allow MFEs to discharge 10% charged lapotron crystals)

Having read the documentation I have a conceptual idea of what might work, but wanted to post an idea that had been filtering around in my head before I get to a point where I'll want to use it.

The basic idea is that all breeders run best hot, and most efficiently while producing power at the same time (so you aren't completely wasting uranium): however even trying to make a neutral breeder I ran across huge resource usage in creating the heat distributors/etc.

So why even bother with that; it's not like I currently have redpower2 or buildcraft; just industrialcraft. The only regulation tool at my disposal are basic redstone clocks and logic.

Thus I decided to look in to a design that intentionally lives on the edge.

In the eyes of those with more experience, is this a sound idea and accurate prediction of results?

http://test.vendaria.net/index…XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Placing the three chambers such that it's vertical there is one spot in the top middle for power to exit, and one spot in the bottom for a redstone signal to enter.
    Source blocks placed above the chamber's immediate area so that the water flowing down is replaced (possibly in from the side too if the design requires it: it might).

The tough part would be making a 20 : 180 redstone clock. An accurate 1 reactor tick high out of 10 (1:9) inverted to stall the reactor for 9 cycles between pulses should allow it to cool off and maintain an equal temperature over a complete cycle by drawing out the reaction time. The two water cells inside were added specifically to tune the ratio.

Even running at ~9700-9960C this /should/ be stable. Since a full pulse cycle would be 10 seconds the startup cost would be 4 lava, wait 9-10 seconds and drop in the 5th.

As this would run at 1/10th the time the average power output would be 8u/t; however it would be delivered in 80e/t pulses.

Edit:
    BTW: I'm assuming that while redstone signaled even the cooling cells in the reactor do not function, if this isn't the case please assume I'd do something else to balance the design (not sure what, but something).

Edit 2:
    This slight modification should be made with the extra chamber on the bottom; the wire still out the top/etc. (bad url) It requires a 1:11 ratio instead of 1:10 but does away with the variable question I had above; though it does lack a place to put in lava; I would replace the used lava for the left column when the time was right.

Edit 3: Copy failure on the link: http://test.vendaria.net/index…XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (also edited slightly based on the calculations of the other simulator; I miscalculated cooling; this should be a net of 0)

Here's a bigger design based on the same ideas and inspired by a recent thread that showed up slightly after mine: http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…itwfygcx7bd1c2kdw7yqld0e8 It trades maximum uranium efficiency (a full board) in a single shot for recharging some cells.

Here's design #2 implemented in that other simulator: http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…huxfcjmm8k9qnfjkyqlvqff40 (Please note, the row of isotopes is actually being used as a heater: I'd hoped they might also enrich just due to heat but that isn't the case.)

Windmills are supposed to be useable with tincables. Apparently i failed the math on EU generation. If windmills can generate 4EU, Tincables will be capable of transporting 4 EU, as well.

Actually if doing this can you make it 8? That way each cable type is a 2^2 power distant from another. 8, 32, 128, 512, 2048. This would also be nice if at some later point cables handle watts instead of volts and if a new lower grade of transformer is made things would make more sense.

NUMBER your mods (eg ic2 = 00_industrial... thermometer = 01_mod-IC2thermo)

It might be a locale/unix sorting issue, but I too was running in to the same issue until I made it /fool/ and /case/ proof by using digits.