Posts by Irontygre

UPDATE

I have redesigned the reactor core cooling hookup to squeeze out an additional 20 EU/t and 0.11 eff!

---

Yes, another MkV CASUC reactor! This one, however, does not require the use of RP2 Machine or World addons. I built this one from scratch, and while inspired by other CASUC reactors here, is not based on any previous design. So on to the more important stuff:

Specs:
    Output: 755 EU/t (at core) | 738 EU/t (nominal)
    Efficiency: 4.31
    Uptime: Continuous

Mods Used:

IndustrialCraft 1.23
    BuildCraft 2.2.4
    RedPower 2pre3 (Core, Wiring, Logic ONLY)
    Buildcraft Additional Pipes
    EnergyConverter 0.20
    Pigalot's Bucket Filler

Design:

As expected, nothing fancy: http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…s=101l1010113010101001010
    Update: Now using: http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…o=101m1010114010101001010

So, I used RedPower for it's fancy wiring and logic gates, because I think they're really cool. However, I'm not a fan of the RP2 reimplementation of pipes (already in BC) and electricity (already in IC2) and therefore do not use RP2 Machines. Now you have the reasons why I didn't simply lift the reactor from Rick or BrickedKeyboard, onto the details!

Overall Design:

I use a unified input/output system thanks to BuildCraft pipes which allows for a 5 chamber reactor (hence the higher output despite being a bucket cooled reactor). Coolant delivery is broken into two wings to cut down on the complexity of each (and trust me, each cooling wing is quite the knot of piping as it is).

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/411/20111110161926.png/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/33/20111110162227.png/

Cooling Systems:

Each cooling system is further broken down into two working components, Stage 1 and Stage 2. Stage 1 is a set of BuildCraft pumps that direct water out of the coolant pools and into the piping system whereby Stage 2 is filled. Stage 2 takes the coolant and fills buckets, lots and lots and lots of buckets (120 per system to be exact) and sends them to storage chests where they are removed and injected into the reactor.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/839/20111110162104.png/

Reactor System:

The main reactor currently is comprised of a 5 chamber nuclear reactor plus all the hardware required for the empty bucket extraction system to function. An RP2 sequencer is used to keep each of four redstone engines desynchronized, allowing for a bucket extraction rate of ~3 buckets / second out of a single Advanced Wooden Pipe (keyed to an empty bucket). Furthermore, an additional set of logic gates are used at the reactor to create a set of interlocks which give a basic level of reactor safety. The reactor is unable to start unless both cooling systems AND the reactor extraction system is online and running.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/269/20111110162001.png/

Update:

The reactor core now uses a dual-unified input-output system, meaning it now runs in a 4 chamber configuration. While the loss of the extra chamber is unfortunate, the additional bucket flow this affords means the cells can be compacted within the reactor for more power and efficiency.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/249/20111113130905.png/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/408/20111113130941.png/

Thoughts:

So far the reactor seems to be stable for me. It is yet to crater on a logout/login, and has not had any loss-of-coolant issues even through the complexity of the coolant systems. This is still a work in progress, so expect updates with further safety systems (such as active coolant flow monitoring and auto-scram features).

I have not yet built this in a legitimate survival game. I designed this for use by a friend of mine and me in our private SMP world which will require a high-power nuclear reactor in the bottom of our base, so it will be implemented legitly soon. Stay tuned!

Downloads:

Test world file is below. The main reactor switch (the higher of the two next to the reactor) is currently OFF. The reactor is fueled, all engines are primed, and both cooling systems are charged. All you have to do is flip the switch.

Tygre-Shinobi Reactor (Rev. B)
    Tygre-Shinobi Reactor (Rev. A)

Eloraam just have to make machine not dependant on world. Btw ore problem is fixed with forge ore dictionary.

It's dependent on world due to the use of additional ores. I highly doubt that's going to change.

And even with Ore Dictionary, my point still stands.

If you are running Redstone Power PR2b (and there is no legitimate or good reason not to be running it; it has no crash bugs and is rock solid and enormously expands the game) then you can do this design : http://forum.industrial-craft.…age=Thread&threadID=2049&

There's really no competition here. I have one running at 260 EU/second with an efficiency of 3.71. Don't believe me? Log in to my server and see for yourself. (see brickedtechnology.blogspot.com)

Lots of legit reasons such as:

Not wanting to deal with rubberwood trees, blulectricity, and a dozen additional ores that conflict and/or simply reimplement IC2.
    Not wanting to deal with volcanoes and other changes to biome generation.
    Not wanting to have two different mods doing exactly the same thing, in incompatibly different ways (I will use BC over RP2 because I like stripmines)

I like Eloraam's mods. I use RP2 Core, Wiring, and Logic. I simply don't want to use World, which immediately rules out Machine, and I have no use for Array right now.

Really nice mod so far.

Quick question though. If I hook one of the small electric engines up to a power source (currently using an MFSU stepped down using transformers), the internal battery won't stay charged. It'll charge up, and then it looks like it stops requesting power, discharges, and stops functioning.

I'm using them to run pumps and Pigalot's bucket fillers, but the problem persists even if the engine is against a wood pipe or nothing at all.

Any suggestions?

>> "before posting meaningless BS, pls take a second to get acquainted with actual research. and take a look at the iter project. thx"

I have and I know about it...but just because someone is getting grants to do research on something, doesn't make it any more possible or proven efficient. Look at all the companies/idiots trying to create perpetual motion for example. There was a device created years ago (similar to the design of Iter) that injected hydrogen on small scales in a magnetic centrifuge but the power output was less than that of straight burning it in comparison (and burning is 80% efficient).

So before posting a comment as if I know nothing, you might want to say to yourself "this guy might know wtf he's talking about, maybe he has degrees in the field," or at the very least, rub a couple of your neurons together to remember that you can't create more energy than you put into a system....ever! Even our own sun has limited power, it will eventually die, that's called entropy (although it's more of the expanding universe theory and the cooling effect, but we won't get into quantum mechanics and other proofs when you can't even handle basic Einstein energy law).

I have a degree in the field. You are wrong. Gorni and Rick have already explained why, so I won't repeat.

My main issue with a "preheat" stage is that a) it's part of the actual reactor operation cycle, not a preheat stage, b) it takes only a few tenths of a second to heat the plasma (if even), and c) when the reaction shuts down, plasma heat is lost on the order of tenths of seconds again. There's really no realistic point in simulating heatup and cooldown.
    Then again, I'm not entirely sure if you're suggesting simulating preheat and cooldown ... so take this criticism accordingly.

ITER is an experimental reactor, and therefore has shot-lengths that are finite. Everything that I have heard leads me to believe that the goal is for a commercial reactor to be a continuous run device. Now, if the fusion reactor in Minecraft is supposed to be an "experimental" class device, that's fine. But if it's supposed to be a "futuresight" commercial device, it really ought to be continuous.

Something else to consider to increase complexity and decrease "availability" of fusion is that neutron blankets have to be changed often on a fusion device (est. at once every 2 years for a commercial device). The blankets will be so radioactive that they will be unsafe to handle without significant protective equipment.

I stand corrected on lithium breeder walls (I don't work on fusion reactor wall research, used to work on plasma core and core-edge interface research).

Also, you're more than welcome to take my suggestions and incorporate them in the OP. Tier 4 powerplants would be a cool addition. :)

I don't know. I have problems dealing with vast overabundance of resin, both in SSP and SMP. I used one treetap to bootstrap rubber production in the beginning, and now I have more than I can possibly deal with (but then again, I use rubber trees for my primary tree farm because lets face it, with an induction furnace it doesn't really matter).

I'm going to nitpick with you here a little.

You don't ever heat up a nuclear fusion reactor vessel (unless you want a toxic cloud of gaseous metallic products). You heat the PLASMA contained inside the magnetic containment field within the vessel. In order to do this, you have several stages:

Ignition: This can be done in many ways, usually it's done by bleeding a rarified gas into the vacuum vessel (the reactor chamber has to be brought to a complete vacuum) then using a massive inductive coil to run a current through the gas.
    Heating: The now warm plasma (not yet achieved the 40 or so keV required) is then bombarded with intense RF waves and high energy neutral beams to come up to fusion temperature.
    Fusion: Theoretically, with proper confinement, the plasma will now self-heat thanks to fusion alpha particles.

Magnetic confinement fusion reactors don't use "cells" or "rods" like a nuclear fission reactor, putting the fuel into a cell and then playing around with reactor configs like our already existing IC2 reactor makes zero sense.

In "real life," a commercial magnetic confinement reactor will be a continuous run device with D-T or D-D fuel pumped in, and thermalized alpha particles pumped out. Separating waste alphas from the reactor plasma is not hard to do, and the reactor doesn't have to shut down for that to happen.

Reactor plating for a fusion reactor is different from reactor plates for a fission reactor. I feel like a different formula should be used accordingly. This would be far closer to (but not entirely accurate) a fusion reactor plate:

CCC
    CAC = U
    CCC

C = Carbon plate; A = Advanced Alloy; U = Uncured Ceramic Plating

Sending Uncured Ceramic Plating through a Furnace (preferrably an induction furnace at 100% heat) will create a Ceramic Plate, which can be used for heat shielding on a fusion reactor.

Finally, while it is possible to breed Tritium from Lithium, that's not the purpose of Lithium in a fusion reactor. Lithium is used (in advanced fusion experiments) as a regenerating liquid wall capable of heat-shielding any components that are directly exposed to plasma flow.

PS: Fusion reactors don't have enough energy contained inside their plasma to do anything beyond obliterating their internal carbon plating and damaging the reactor vessel from the subsequent outgassing. There's no solid or solid-like material in one to burn a hole in the ground with, and there's certainly not enough energy within the reactor chamber at any given point in time to create epic boom with water.

EDIT: Here's a better formula for obtaining lithium:

Obsidian -> Macerator -> Obsidian Dust + Water -> Igneous Solution -> Electrolyzer -> Lithium Dust