Posts by Ariash

So the components draw all the heat away from the hull?

Sorry im having trouble understanding :pinch:

Basically, if a :Uranium Cell: has any components next to it that can take heat, the :Uranium Cell: will dump all of its heat into those components and dump none of its heat into the hull. Meanwhile, the only components that interact will hull heat are :Intergrated Heat Dispenser: . Thus, the components in this reactor do not interact at all with the hull heat. They don't draw heat away from the hull, and they don't dump heat into the hull. They just store the heat in their internal heat storage. Thus the hull (pre-heated to 9000 heat, of course) stays at the same heat at all times.

The reason this is difficult to understand is because most reactors use large numbers of :Intergrated Heat Dispenser: as a way of coupling the hull heat to the heat of every component in the core. The concept that components might not share their heat with the hull is an uncommon one, despite the fact that most components operate in this way.

please explain what the heck this reactor does that is special?

It appears to me that this reactor is doing two things that seem unique: decoupling hull heat from component heat, and (utilizing said decoupling) maintaining a constant hull temperature both when the reactor is operating and when the reactor is not in operation. A "heat neutral" reactor would be one that produces as much heat as it dissipates, resulting in constant hull temperature during operation only (a neutral breeder). This is technically a positive breeder, as it produces more heat than it dissipates. However, the heat gets sunk into the reactor components instead of the hull, maintaining the temperature (and keeping a high heat initial state from becoming "interesting").

Someone correct me if any of this horribly incorrect. As for what this type of breeder should be called, my vote is for something like "Stable Offline Heat, SOH"

In my view we have (and have always had) two competing standards here:
    1. Pulse Standard: Efficiency is the average number of pulses the uranium gives off per reactor tick.
    2. Energy Standard: Efficiency is the average number of millions of EU given off by the uranium per reactor cycle.

Prior to the 1337 patch, which standard you used was purely semantic. They both yielded the same efficiencies in the same situations. Now that reactor output is doubled, standard #2 gives 2x the efficiency as standard #1.
    Both are intuitive in their own way. We simply have to pick one to use.

Personally, I prefer the pulse standard, as it results in the same efficiencies as before the patch and involves the direct workings of how reactors operate.

While I like this idea (particularly Alblaka's change to more EU consumption), there is currently no reason to use it over simply building another machine of the same type. If the overclocker gives 2x production rate at the cost of 4x EU cost, there is no reason to not just build a second machine to get 2x production rate at 2x EU cost.