A breeder that never cools down, is it possible?

• Somehow it sounds ot to build a reactor just to cool down components :P

Actually I like the selfheating-reactor. Would be cool if we were able in the future to create a Redstone-Signal if the heat is over X to send a bucket into the reactor to keep it from exploding. This way you could propably build cool automated selfheating breeders, without the fear to blow everything up.

Another question though... how should a reactor explode without any uranium inside?

• It just can't. By apllying extenal heating you can get 0.0 excess heat max ! You have to apply internal heating (lava buckets, uranium) to melt reactor.

Well... it was mathematically possible, but if there is a cap at 0 for an empty reactor it's quite impossible (Although Exploding a Reactor with Lava-Buckets looks like fun).

Still this would mean that you could create a reactor surrounded with lava that even does not cool down if there is nothing inside it. Funny^^. Maybe use a lever to drown the reactor in lava (problematic since lava doesn't vanishs as easy as water). But fire with nether-rack should work :P (easy to lit with rp-deployers).

• Components have to be in reactor to cool down. My tests say so.

That's what I thought, thanks

Somehow it sounds ot to build a reactor just to cool down components :P

Sure, but if you want to do several cycle in a row without letting the components cooldown, it's one way to do it.

Still this would mean that you could create a reactor surrounded with lava that even does not cool down if there is nothing inside it. Funny^^. Maybe use a lever to drown the reactor in lava (problematic since lava doesn't vanishs as easy as water). But fire with nether-rack should work :P (easy to lit with rp-deployers).

Humm... You could probably do (with some effort) an air cooled neutral breeder with pistons to push blocks and lava to keep it warm when not in use. That be tricky and probably not really neccesary, but it would be cool! (or hot if done right! :D )

• Humm... You could probably do (with some effort) an air cooled neutral breeder with pistons to push blocks and lava to keep it warm when not in use. That be tricky and probably not really neccesary, but it would be cool! (or hot if done right! :D )

rp2 deployers and lava buckets?
    "deploys" the bucket with a pulse and on the next pulse it should suck the source block back up.
    granted the way lava works it may not completely go away if it was allowed to flow anywhere.

• Items mod showed that cooling stops while item is in inventory

That's sudden,I did build 2 reactors from the very beginning :D reactor that cools and that heats and generates xO

About reactor-that-never-cools..I don't quite like the idea,loss of 2-3 uncharged cells is much bigger loss,than <1 UC,which you use for heating up,still,such reactor is nice to be used for basical heating,however I already made design for heater reactor specifically for Rick's perfect breeder
    So,just don't get the point why do we need such a thing?

• wel wel, looks like somebody made the jump to making one of these at last!

i have caught up with this post, reading all. studying all.

using 2 reactors - one breeder, one cooler. i think i might have an idea that might just work.....

stand by, il work this one out and post the results, it wil consist of 2 reactors. an breeder and cooler.
    (might also try something with alchemical chests and repair talismans) since heat is concidered damadge to an component)
    (for those who dont know what i mean, Equivelant exchange mod)

right, time to get serious...
    i wil be offline for weeks and possibly months at an time. if you have anything to add to an post i made, and would like me to know. you are welcome to pm me, and i wil reply as soon as i am able to do so.

• checking back in with you guys.

i thought of it, brain cracking concept....

Equivelant Exchange components cooling works, ALOT cheaper then building an aditional reactor, but second reactor also works.
    the big + of alchemical chests for this is that you can store ALOT of items to cool down inside.. so might be the best bet. can someone comfirm that this is not only working for me?

also the design that was provided in the beginning of this thread, i believe this is the optimal design. EXEPT the fact it has 1.3 heat + p tik making it viable to an explosive meltdown.

i suggest after ea cycle to switch to an cooling mode to remove lets say.. 500 heat from the hull?
    this is the normal cycle, it doesnt use the hull heat levels as said in primary post.
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…=1010101301501521s1r11r10

to cool down the hull i thought it may be best to just use an few ice blocks which are easily made using water cells in an compressor - > yields snow - > yields ice.

it removes 300 heat ea, so dumping 2 of these in the breeder can cool down the hull for you. just make sure ALL internal components are removed before doing so. i believe the cooling effect is first used for internal cooling and then for the hull.
    correct me if i am wrong.

Wel, this reply is starting to get long. let it work on you. and let me know what you think, il be happy to adjust some things to make it work in the overal picture.

i wil be offline for weeks and possibly months at an time. if you have anything to add to an post i made, and would like me to know. you are welcome to pm me, and i wil reply as soon as i am able to do so.

• Your link is same as first post link. As fa as i know, ice blocks cool reactor hull only. Components are able to cool by themsef. If there are HDs in reactor, they will transfer heat from components to cooled hull, which can be than further cooled by ice, so ice helps components to cool faster.

• Your link is same as first post link. As fa as i know, ice blocks cool reactor hull only. Components are able to cool by themsef. If there are HDs in reactor, they will transfer heat from components to cooled hull, which can be than further cooled by ice, so ice helps components to cool faster.

as i stated, the link is taken from the first post.

ice blocks cool hull heat only, so making it posible to cool down the exces 1.3 heat/tick which has build. the only thing i am unsure of is the end of each cycle inside of the reactor planner.

it states, 67% hull heat. this is from 0 hull heat to start off with. might be the bug stated earlier although i am not sure.

edit: note i am only staking theoretic posibilities right now, alot is yet to be comfirmed by actual testing ( my test world is doing so right now ) i might have results tomorow

• Thi has already been discussed. Reactor planner, if set to 9000 hull heat, automatically adds 9000 heat to each component, which will not happen if there are no HDs. Reactor will behave like the one set to 0 in planner. All excess heat produced by uranium is split to coolant cells and Hull heat is never changed, since reactor itself has has 0 excess heat. I'm not sure about Isotope cells, whether they add heat straight to hull, or to nearby components.
    Edit: Also design was later edited http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…=1010101201501521s1r11r10
    Edit2: reactor planner seems to transfer heat from isotope cells straight to hull, this can be easily reduceb by removing 1 lava block from reactor surroundings, which will result in -1 excess hull heat.

• hey guys, kinda new here but i did notice you talking about breeders.
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…=1h10101011011221s1r11r10

here's one that i designed that has 0 heat gain/loss with ice being pumped in. it only takes one stack of ice being pumped in at about 1-3 per second. note that the design shows a water bucket, but it's actually an empty bucket. to gain heat, put a uranium cell in the bucket slot, you'll gain a steady amount of heat, then switch to a depleted isotope cell to slow the heat gain to about 25 per (reactor tick? second?), finally put in the empty bucket to stop the temp. i warm it up to 4999 or 5000 and it cooks the isotope cells pretty quick and puts out a decent bit of power. i've got 3 wooden engines pumping ice in, and then a obsidian pipe w/ wooden engine sucking up the extras and pumping them back to the chests that store the extra ice.
    oh also, if you want to raise the temp by 1 at a time take an empty bucket and remove one of the water blocks for a moment to raise temp very slowly.

the water set up as 8 blocks of water below the reactor (1 block of sand)
    then it has 4 water blocks even with the ractor. (1 block of jacketed redalloy, 1 block bare redalloy wire, 1 block of HV cable, 1 wood engine for the obsidian pipe)
    above the chamber is 4 water blocks, 1 bare redalloy wire (holds back water) 1 buildcraft pipe(brings in ice), one obsidian pipe to pick up the extra ice.

so do blocks count as air for cooling or not? i'm not sure, i just now that with this set up i can get it up to temp and just let it run.

• So I figured out my constant-heat-breeder.

You need 5 Blocks of lava to make it not cool down if empty. If you use 1 Uranium-Cell and 2 Depleted Cells you need exactly 21 Water in a 5 Chamber-Reactor, which is easy to achieve.

So in cooldown mode you extract 4 pistons in the sides and use 5 deployers to place lava underneath the reactor and in each corner.

:Geothermal Generator::Water Mill::Geothermal Generator:
    :Water Mill::Geothermal Generator::Water Mill:
    :Geothermal Generator::Water Mill::Geothermal Generator:

:Geothermal Generator: - Lava
    :Water Mill: - Extracted Piston (will make the Lava not flow everywhere)

If you press a button the reactor will go into the work-state puring water over it, which should cover all 21 blocks around the reactor itself resulting in exactly +/-0 heat generation. Using a timer at should make it possible to always switch both states. The only thing that bothers me a little bit, is that it's not possible to messure the temperature of the reactor, because if something goes wrong your reactor might cool down and will be a quite useless breeder or it will go boom being even more useless as a breeder.

• hello everyone checking back in with some test results.

used the setups discussed earlier:
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…=1010101201501521s1r11r10

my results: removing one lava block indeed removes one exces heat, it seemed that isotope cells transfered heat to the hull directly, without any HD. thus resulting in an slight modification.

Ragan, it is comfirmed that removing one lava block compensates for 1 exces heat. i found this throu trial and error.

overal result: about 10 cells refined at this setup. no meltdowns.
    dumped 1-10 ice blocks after ea cycle to maintain an constant temp. (yea i know, i love casuc)

concept plausible, it is posible to maintain high hull temperatures while not effecting internal components. thus making it posible to ceep hull heat to lets say : 5000
    and tranfering all heat to internal storage ONLY. then using an alchemy bag - repair talisman to repair damadged items in after ea cycle.

• Not really a new class, more like the SUC suffix. Maybe NHL (No Heat Loss)?

If im correct thats called a heat nutral breeder and it was already invented.
    and if thats not correct its called a positive.
    and if thats not correct please explain what the heck this reactor does that is special?

"A modern tank can speed at 60 mph while shooting a target with pinpoint accuracy from 5 miles away." Civ-5

• please explain what the heck this reactor does that is special?

It appears to me that this reactor is doing two things that seem unique: decoupling hull heat from component heat, and (utilizing said decoupling) maintaining a constant hull temperature both when the reactor is operating and when the reactor is not in operation. A "heat neutral" reactor would be one that produces as much heat as it dissipates, resulting in constant hull temperature during operation only (a neutral breeder). This is technically a positive breeder, as it produces more heat than it dissipates. However, the heat gets sunk into the reactor components instead of the hull, maintaining the temperature (and keeping a high heat initial state from becoming "interesting").

Someone correct me if any of this horribly incorrect. As for what this type of breeder should be called, my vote is for something like "Stable Offline Heat, SOH"

• It appears to me that this reactor is doing two things that seem unique: decoupling hull heat from component heat, and (utilizing said decoupling) maintaining a constant hull temperature both when the reactor is operating and when the reactor is not in operation. A "heat neutral" reactor would be one that produces as much heat as it dissipates, resulting in constant hull temperature during operation only (a neutral breeder). This is technically a positive breeder, as it produces more heat than it dissipates. However, the heat gets sunk into the reactor components instead of the hull, maintaining the temperature (and keeping a high heat initial state from becoming "interesting").

Someone correct me if any of this horribly incorrect. As for what this type of breeder should be called, my vote is for something like "Stable Offline Heat, SOH"

wel actualy you are totaly wrong! wait, your right ;)

it realy is the point to separate hull heat - component heat
    with my breeder i actualy cut out the components and go CASUC for coolant. also works fine. only consumes 3 buckets/lava cycle

• It appears to me that this reactor is doing two things that seem unique: decoupling hull heat from component heat, and (utilizing said decoupling) maintaining a constant hull temperature both when the reactor is operating and when the reactor is not in operation. A "heat neutral" reactor would be one that produces as much heat as it dissipates, resulting in constant hull temperature during operation only (a neutral breeder). This is technically a positive breeder, as it produces more heat than it dissipates. However, the heat gets sunk into the reactor components instead of the hull, maintaining the temperature (and keeping a high heat initial state from becoming "interesting").

So the components draw all the heat away from the hull?

Sorry im having trouble understanding :pinch:

"A modern tank can speed at 60 mph while shooting a target with pinpoint accuracy from 5 miles away." Civ-5

• So the components draw all the heat away from the hull?

Sorry im having trouble understanding :pinch:

Basically, if a :Uranium Cell: has any components next to it that can take heat, the :Uranium Cell: will dump all of its heat into those components and dump none of its heat into the hull. Meanwhile, the only components that interact will hull heat are :Intergrated Heat Dispenser: . Thus, the components in this reactor do not interact at all with the hull heat. They don't draw heat away from the hull, and they don't dump heat into the hull. They just store the heat in their internal heat storage. Thus the hull (pre-heated to 9000 heat, of course) stays at the same heat at all times.

The reason this is difficult to understand is because most reactors use large numbers of :Intergrated Heat Dispenser: as a way of coupling the hull heat to the heat of every component in the core. The concept that components might not share their heat with the hull is an uncommon one, despite the fact that most components operate in this way.