Posts by DoomFruit

I use Linux to run Minecraft on my games machine and it works like a charm. The only issue I had was that block IDs on my system were generated differently to that of other systems, so I had to be given Redpower and BC config files to play on the SMP server which I frequent. Oddly enough, IC generated its block IDs just fine.

Of course, when we updated the server, it then generated block IDs that corresponded with nobody else's except mine. So now we're handing out config files to everyone except me...

Uranium cells last 10000 reactor ticks and you get 1 reactor tick per second, so a uranium cell can be used for 10000s (2h 46m 40s) before running dry.

Cycle length depends on your reactor - some (Mark 1 and Mark 2) reactor designs can run for a full cycle before overheating, so 1 cycle is 10000s. Other reactor designs (non-CASUC mark 3, 4 and 5) need breaks, so the effective cycle time is increased. For reference, my house on the server I play on has the Mark 3 reactor listed in the good reactor design thread installed. It runs a 5s on, 25s off duty cycle, so the effective cycle time (defined as how long I can leave the switch on before it needs to be refuelled) is 30/5 = 6 times longer, or 60000s (16h 40m).

If it's any use, I had exactly the same problem (hyperspeed when jumping, helmet not refilling my food bar) when in the End. I ended (ha!) up having to eat some zombie flesh to stop me from dying of hunger before I could finish nanoswording the Enderdragon.

EDIT: the hyperspeed jump can be cured by disconnecting and reconnecting after going through a Nether gate or End portal - you'll move normally until you go through another gate/portal again. I forgot about this upon returning to the real world one time and managed to jump up to a height of y = 450 with no sign of slowing down before some Redpower component on my end crashed. On the plus side, when I reconnected and fell the 450 blocks back down again, my quantum shoes protected me just fine :D.

Dude,your breeder really is expensive for 6 chambers,check this out :
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…6=1k101010114010101001019

Assuming that I heat it by putting in 4 more cells around the uranium plus, it says that I've got a first component melt at 2216s. I calculate it as taking 2100s to heat up, so while your design takes more than my 1670s to heat, it doesn't need any babysitting.

I like your design better than mine and I'm switching my breeder reactor over as soon as I've finished enriching the current batch of cells (hey, why waste heat...).

OK, I've attempted to improve my breeder design. This new version takes 1177s to heat up, but most of the IHDs would end up melting from 1126s onwards. I'd solve this by putting it into neutral mode at 1100s to let the heat equalise, but that could get rather annoying (and dangerous...).

Heating config: http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…e=1j101010114010101001010, active config: http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…m=1j101010114010101001019. Note that this particular reactor is 6 chamber and is completely surrounded with water except for one space, which needs to be blocked off (I used reinforced glass) - this was so that I could put another coolant cell in to help a poor IHD out.

The advantage of this breeder is that it heats up faster than the one in the OP (if you absolutely must minimise the startup time), but it's going to need one phase of component shuffling during the warmup or you end up with a large hole where your reactor used to be.

The first component does indeed melt at 472 seconds, but after 430 seconds of heating, the reactor hull's heat is only a tepid 860 (60 excess heat for 430 seconds is 25,800 heat in total, spread across 29 components and 1 reactor makes 860 for each), since the heat dispensers are very good at sharing that heat with the rest of the components. That's far below the 9,000 required for efficient breeding.

I've tested this breeder on the server I play on and heating it for 430s doesn't recharge cells anywhere near as fast as one at 9,000 ought to. We don't have the thermometer mod installed, but a rough check of the reactor's temperature by looking at the components' health bars indicates that they're still about 9/10 full.

EDIT: in any case, I think that it might be useful to update the first post to indicate how long it will take to get the reactor up to breeding temperature, since 430s fails for at least 3 of us.

DOUBLE EDIT: the breeder I designed has some problems with uneven heat distribution between dispersers and cells. I've just tested it and had to do some babysitting during the warmup to stop components from melting.

For some reason this doesnt work on our server. Its running for at least 10 minutes now and is at around 1800 Heat. The configuration is exactly the same, we double checked. I'm really confused on whats wrong here. Either the Temp Reader is wrong, or i'm missing something.

Something is really wrong here. It should have been exploded for long now according to the tool but the heat reading is only at 2500 wtf ?

I've been having the same problem with my breeder built to this specification (SMP, also running Buildcraft 2.2.11, Redpower 2 PR4b, Advanced Machines v3.0 and Tomes). I believe that the problem is caused by Rick not taking into account that heat dispensers and coolant cells can each store 10,000 heat as well. So the design in the first post doesn't need to be given 9,000 heat units in total, it needs 9,000 for the main reactor plus 9,000 for each of the other 29 components, making it a total of 30 x 9,000 heat required. This means that with the existing excess of 60 heat per reactor tick, it would take 4,500s, or 75 min. to get up to temperature..

A bit of playing around with the reactor planner lead me to these two designs for a 6 chamber breeder with more uranium cells for heating - heating config is http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…q=1k101010114010101001019 and the active config is http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…6=1k101010114010101001019

When heating, it produces an excess of 270 heat. It has 32 heat storing components, 11 of which are IHDs, allowing it to transfer 286 heat per second between hull and components (so you won't get a hull meltdown before the components do). This design will take 33 (1 reactor + 32 components) * 9,000 / 270 heat = 1,100s (18m 20s) to reach an operating temperature of 9,000 heat. Meltdown happens at 33 * 10,000 / 270 = 1,222s (20m 22s), when every single component gets destroyed at once. You've got a two minute window to remove the 8 heating cells, so there shouldn't be too much of a problem. When active, heat dissipation will exactly equal heat generation, so it can be left unattended.

The cooldown time of this reactor is enormous, with the reactor's built-in 54 heat/second cooling having to remove 330,000 heat (assuming that the reactor's at meltdown temperature) - it will take 6,111s (101m 51s) if left alone or if fed with 17.2 stacks of ice, it will take 1154s (19m 14s) to dissipate all the heat. Best get your breeding done in one batch.

It should be noted that I am a total n00b when it comes to reactor design, having merely copied and pasted the ones listed here (the Mark III with some Redpower circuitry of my own devising for a "constantly" active design and the breeder) for my own use. There's almost certainly a better way to do this and I'd be very happy if someone improved my design for greater cost or time efficiency.