Posts by Mort

Greg, is there any reason why there is no change in EUs given from fuel cans when I centrifuge bio cells and biofuel cells, and coal cells and coalfuel cells?

The bio cell and coal cell recipes are more energy-expensive, which balances out the extra energy you would have to put into extracting them (I believe the costs of the two recipes are 1000 and 5000 EU, and the 4000 difference between them equals roughly to the cost of 6 extractor operations). It just pretty much saves you the need to run all items through an extractor, making automation simpler.

Well the main problem here is that renewable energy is already far superior to anything non-renewable, at least in SMP. Leave a couple of windmills running overnight and you have several full MFSUs.
    Reason for that is that they don't have any of the disadvantages they have in real life:

• unreliability (battery blocks, which are unrealisticly strong, cancel that out)
    • need for expensive wiring to the main network (you can build windmills in a valley, watermills in still water...)
    • extremly long time to pay off (extremely cheap compared to the cost of the fuel)
    • large areas of land rendered useless for agriculture/any other use (they take up a single block)
    • coal/uranium energy is cheaper (there are no mines or companies you can buy fuel from, you have to mine it yourself)
    • nuclear reactors don't explode (in IC2, they explode quite regullary)

If all these applied, then you could talk about a "choice" between renewable and non-renewable, so far there is no choice.
    And btw:
    co2 + higher temperature results in INCREASE of plant growth, not decrease.
    most of the "pollution" in the picture is just steam
    nuclear plants leak no radiation at all
    But, to be fair, you forgot one critical problem of nuclear plants: nuclear waste, which, until we have proper technology, needs to be stored somewhere

Well you are right that if the storage isn't high enough, fast-charging would fail totally. I don't know if it's currently possible to drain energy from multiple sources at once, but if it was, setting the buffer to packetsize*16 (16x the maximum overclocker rate, or isn't it?), should work (it would result in 512,2048 and 8192 storage sizes, which still fine), while it would require the engineer to provide the energy in real-time (as other machine do when highly overclocked)

I don't think of the HV bench as "stealing" 10 million EU that you'll never see again. I see it as storing 10 million EU so it's ready to recharge that suit of quantum armor, nano armor, or other tools. It's not wasting EU sitting there, it doesn't ask for more from the Energy Net than it can take in and it never uses any EU unless it's actually charging an item. If you don't put any overclockers into it it won't waste a single EU of power. Anything that goes into the charging bench will come back out into items placed into it to charge. The faster charge rates and the ability to charge up to 12 items at a time absolutely require a sizable internal buffer of energy because it simply isn't practical to supply it with the kind of input needed in real time.

That depends on how much energy you operate with. If I ran a nuclear reactor, it's no problem to just fill it up and then recharge at will. Lately I tend to play with low-energy setups, running just several machines and basic tools, I would never use up 10 million energy on tools... not in the entire lifetime (we restart worlds relativelly often).

On the other hand, both LV and MV benches store relatively little energy, considering what one might want to charge (40k vs 60k batpack, 600k vs 200+300 laser+LP), the only problem is the HV bench. (Which I never use, so you can propably ignore my entire suggestion :))

However, it could still be useful if it was cheaper... That way, one could charge items, as fast as he can provide energy in real-time. That, of course, would be much weaker than the current charging bench, as it wouldn't be able to charge more than one item with no overclockers. However as this is quite a balance-changing feature, it would be up to you if you wanted to implement it.

Great work reviving this great mod.

However your "slight" modifications pretty much ruined the Charging bench for me, as the two reasons I used it were:

a) it was much cheaper
    b) it didn't have the stupid energy storage.

To a): you are right, it may have been overpowered, however the storage ability of the mfu/mfsu is the thing that should be expensive, not the charging ability. I mean, I can produce HV, but I can't use it to charge tools without a building giant battery??
    And to b): I don't like playing with battery boxes, that are highly unreallistic IMHO, instead I try to create auto-balancing generator arrays, permanently-on generators etc... With the original charging bench it was possible, but not with this one (Ok, I could create a setting that activates splitter cable once item detectors count off the items that were put inside...). Basically a HV charging bench "steals" 10 million EU that I am never going to see again, unless it is used as a regular battery.

That's why I am asking you, if it were possible to add an option (through config or creating a second set of benches) to reduce the capacity to minimum (I would imagine that would be one packetsize), possibly making the benches cheaper in the process.

The same can't be really say with a "Legal" open source of their code, since they leave it open anyone and their grandmothers are free to do what they please with it, something even blatantly copy their code and they can't really do as much as they could when it was a "Illegal" Closed source.

Just because they release unobfuscated code doesn't mean it's open source. That depends on the license you release the code under. Even though you can get the source code, it doesn't mean you are allowed to copy it and release as your creation. If they packed the source code with the game now, it wouldn't change a thing about legality of the mods, it would only make mod development easier.

I had RP, NEI and Railcraft, but the same bug persisted even after I removed all of them. Currently I have ModLoader 1.2.5, Forge 3.1.2.90 and IC1.95. It goes right to "Saving chunks" after the world is loaded, and it ends up corrupted.

I had the exact same error, it is a modloader bug. Someone fixed it and uploaded working version ( ModLoaderMP thread, it's on that page ), however IC2 doesn't work with that version. That was my log:

Everything seems fine (except maybe for those Integration parts), however IC2 is not loaded, as far as I can tell (Creating any IC2 item will immideatelly drop the player and the IC2.cfg was created empty).