Posts by primis

Thats the moment when you get yerself buildcraft/redpower and do a Long distance piping with Electrolized water cells, same thing different system.

And what the f*** did you meant on the second line? It made no sense whatsoever.

The point is, buildcraft is another f'in mod.
    And the second line is a description on how to deal with the chunks from unloading. if you were to simply mod the server so it doesn't unload chunks with alternators on them (a bukkit mod involving wireless redstone does this) basically sever side you would assign each alternator pair an ID number, then when the alternator sends EU, then the server sends it to the other alternator. Obviously the only way to pair them would be to connect them together.

How about as far as game balancing goes, we put a fixed loss rate on it, like 15%, then you can upgrade it down to 10%, then to 5%
    As for chunk unloading, since the loss rate is fixed, you can give the machine ID codes, then keep the chunks up around them loaded at all times, then do EU transfers via the ID's, and just do a quick wire check when placing them to see if they are actually connected.

Have you ever heard of the original proposal for Niagra falls generator transmission? Edison said use DC, but that required using 8 repeater stations from Niagara to Buffalo. Tesla Came in and preached AC power. So they built it his way. AC required no repeater towers, and maintained power over a distance of 20 miles.
    Maybe we have it lose 2 EU / kilometer. That seems fair. (1 / 500 blocks)

Name: Alternator

Description:
    I love industrial craft, but I feel that the eu loss on wiring is just "Too Damn high"
    I have come to the conclusion that this is caused because all industrial craft wires are running DC voltage, which experiences a high loss rate.
    My solution, much like Tesla, is very simple: AC Power.
    AC power works in a fundamentally similar way to DC, however due to the alternating current, receives much less power loss.
    My Proposal is a new machine, called the Alternator. this will take a High voltage current as an input, and output a constant AC current.
    The alternator will only output to High voltage wiring, and must be converted back to DC before being used in current machines.
    I can hear you asking already "Cave, what was in that phone book of a description I signed?" "is this really safe?" let me answer your questions with another question;
    "Do you like to save energy?"
    The AC Power would allow you to transfer power over large distances without any EU loss, and is generally a more efficient system.
    "But doesn't that make fiber cable useless? I mean, who would waste diamonds!"
    Well, AC requires both sides have alternators and in high voltage. So you would need to do the following to have a voltage line:
    Generator -> high voltage transformer -> Alternator -> [HV Wire] -> Alternator -> LV transformer -> machine.
    Frankly, it would be easier to do Fiber line for short distances. But if you wanna have a decent power line between towns or, from a power plant, This would make more sense.
    Even though Fiber has a loss of 1 / 40 EU, when you have a distance of 2000 blocks between towns, that's a TON of diamonds.

Recipe:
    Key:
    [HV] = High Voltage Cable / Glass Fiber
    [TR] = High Voltage Transformer
    [RI] = Refined Iron
    [EC] = Electronic Circuit
    [RI] [EC] [RI]
    [HV][TR][HV]
    [RI] [HV] [RI]

Or, using smiles:
    :Refined Iron: :Advanced Circuit: :Refined Iron:
    :Glass Fibre: :HV-Transformer: :Glass Fibre: