Posts by allaryin

Woo!!! One of the things that always irked me about Trees++ was that the berry bushes were so inferior to Inficraft's, this addon makes me _happy_ :)

It works great for me in single player - with the minor exception that the crops flicker green/black occasionally.

It's not working for me on Bukkit though. Then again, crops themselves have problems with the cb build. With IC2 included in the server jar, I can plant berries in crops normally and see the flickering as in SSP. However, the crops never grow past their initial state and they do not persist through a server reboot. :( Have not tried regular SMP yet.

I can't believe I read the whole thing.

My take: Wow. This is an amazingly thorough, well thought out proposal for a completely new product. If the original IC2 power system had been implemented this way, that'd be awesome. But it wasn't... so, what to do?

One does not simply retrofit the innards of something this complex. Even if I had the code, I wouldn't want to touch that particular beastie unless it was a crashing bug. As it is, IC2's power grid is amazingly efficient. Even with some 50 generators talking to a few dozen storage devices powering 0-20 machines at a time in my server's central hub... there is no performance degradation. The game continues to run well.

Yes, the system isn't realistic. Yes, it takes some learning. Yes, using an EU reader on the output of a water mill is humorous. But as far as the players are concerned, the learning curve is not terribly steep.

I think the efficiency of cabling should be readdressed... and that's all I think we could possibly expect as part of the core module. And really, the only reason cabling efficiency is even an issue is the problem of long-distance transport of power - to which problem there are a variety of lossless options (though, admittedly, none are terribly elegant as the standard superconducting copper/transformer chain example illustrates). The ~20% loss observed when using copper to transmit LV for 20-30 meters only significantly impacts players at the early stages of the tech tree. An ULV transformer would be more than enough to solve that problem for them.

The only realistic way to introduce the full scope of changes you are proposing is to write them from scratch. Be that in an alternate power grid mod or a fork of the project... that's what it would take - and that's bad juju there. Personally, I am willing to run rail between the nuke plant and the central distribution hub and let energy carts do the trick - it's a more fun solution than just knowing I can string a lot of high throughput cabling all over the place and forget about it.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS! :D

you need to run a search for repeat suggestions before posting this is one is very common revamping luminators is already on alblakas list

till then you could do this if you put an induction furnace in heat-up mode on the end of the cable to constantly drain the power to trigger the detector cables.

Heh, sorry :) I did actually search for about 15 minutes, and didn't see any indicaton of an approved lighting idea. I even deleted the post once when I saw that a similarly named suggestion (but what was really just head lamps) was on the denied suggestions list. Oh well :P

A number of powered lighting blocks would be useful.

• a basic status indicator lamp that is red when not powered and glows green when powered (luminance 7?)
      - this would not draw power itself but would operate similar to an installed EC-meter and indicate if a line is currently hot
    • normal electric lighting (luminance 14)
    • flood lamp (luminance 15) - don't think game allows any brighter than this, which is a shame, because flipping on the generator to melt zombies with artificial sunlight is very attractive...
    • additionally, lighted cables themselves would be nice (cable + indicator lamp, possibly only 6 lumens?).

To make powered lights most effective, however, it would also be nice to have a switch that powers a circuit in darkness (an anti-solar panel).

Recipes:

Status LED - glass + copper dust + insulated cable
    Light Bulb - 3 tin + glass + uninsulated copper cable + insulated copper cable
    Flood Lamp - 2 light bulb + 2 insulated copper cable
    Lighted Cable - status led + cable

NB:
    Real LED filaments are made from an alloy of gallium, which is usually found in zinc/aluminum... neither of which do we have. Tin might therefore make more sense chemically as a filament material, but copper is both redder and greener ;)