Posts by Neeneko

First time trying to post screen shots here, so hopefully I am doing this right.

Here are images of the two sites I have been using to try to get redwheat. In this attempt I have using Ferru+Coffee and Auruila+Netherwart. I have generally been stomping out anything that does not have a wheat-like starting image, but so far this has only resulted in Hopps.

I am really at the end of my sanity with this one....

When you first breed a plant, you do not need to meet the requirements to crossbreed it, but I think only to make it grow. My post in this thread demonstrates this with Nether Wart. In any case, up the light level, and if that doesn't work can you post a screenshot of your setup?

Ah, I thought redwheat broke that rule. So I am trying to cross breed it in my regular glowstone lit open air crossbreeding area.... and somehow only getting hops so far (besides duplicates of the parent plants. Hrm.

Ok, I have read every thread I can find on the topic and still seem to be missing something. I am wondering if I a missing something obvious so I wanted to run my setup by the forum and see if anyone can spot a stupid. At the moment I am still just trying to crossbreed my first sample.

I am using a sealed chamber 7x7x4, no outside light is getting in (confirmed via F3). It is in swampland at a Y height of 140. In the center I have a 3x3 cross breeding area with netherwart and aurelia in alternating corners. I have a single redstone torch in the exact center one block above the crops, producing a blocklight of 6 in the 4 cross breeding squares. Not using a weedex. I have been through maybe 6 stacks of crop sticks worth of failed crossbreeds.

Can anyone spot anything that would prevent redwheat from breeding? It has been failing so consistantly for so long I am worrying that something in my setup is a problem, as opposed to simply not getting lucky yet.

If you don't mind figuring out things with the IC2 API (he only covers Forge), I can recommend the Helfull tutorials here:
    [Creating Mods] Helfull's Tutorials [1.2.5][Forge] - Minecraft Forum

He doesn't have much, but he goes the extra length of having a github repo with example code. Examples: creating property files, creating recipes, etc. It'll give you a start.

This looks like an excellent starting point, thanks! I really like that the person took the time to have example code.

FIgured it would be better to bump this old thread then start a new one...

I originally had the same question, but found this answer. A bit of a follow up question though since there a lot of moding tutorials out there. I can only assume like any other community; some are crap and teach bad habits while some are good resources that teach sane ways of doing things that will not piss off other programmers who might have to look at (or integrate) your code. Often I see 'good practices' and 'clean code' in posted requirements for code to be worthy of including in mods or packs, but even good programmers can produce crap code when they get the wrong idea about what is expected or how a system is put together.

Which brings me to ask, are there any specific tutorial or tutorial writers that fall into the 'recommend' or 'to be avoided' pile?