[Question] Addon Tutorial

• Official Post

Nope.
    Coding an Addon for IC isn'T different from coding a normal mod and thus requirements and tutorials found all over MCF apply as well.

Only difference is you will probably need even more knowledge to understand the advanced mechanics of IC. As well as the capability to work within the bounds set by the API ^^

• FIgured it would be better to bump this old thread then start a new one...

I originally had the same question, but found this answer. A bit of a follow up question though since there a lot of moding tutorials out there. I can only assume like any other community; some are crap and teach bad habits while some are good resources that teach sane ways of doing things that will not piss off other programmers who might have to look at (or integrate) your code. Often I see 'good practices' and 'clean code' in posted requirements for code to be worthy of including in mods or packs, but even good programmers can produce crap code when they get the wrong idea about what is expected or how a system is put together.

Which brings me to ask, are there any specific tutorial or tutorial writers that fall into the 'recommend' or 'to be avoided' pile?

• FIgured it would be better to bump this old thread then start a new one...

I originally had the same question, but found this answer. A bit of a follow up question though since there a lot of moding tutorials out there. I can only assume like any other community; some are crap and teach bad habits while some are good resources that teach sane ways of doing things that will not piss off other programmers who might have to look at (or integrate) your code. Often I see 'good practices' and 'clean code' in posted requirements for code to be worthy of including in mods or packs, but even good programmers can produce crap code when they get the wrong idea about what is expected or how a system is put together.

Which brings me to ask, are there any specific tutorial or tutorial writers that fall into the 'recommend' or 'to be avoided' pile?

If you don't mind figuring out things with the IC2 API (he only covers Forge), I can recommend the Helfull tutorials here:
    [Creating Mods] Helfull's Tutorials [1.2.5][Forge] - Minecraft Forum

He doesn't have much, but he goes the extra length of having a github repo with example code. Examples: creating property files, creating recipes, etc. It'll give you a start.

• If you don't mind figuring out things with the IC2 API (he only covers Forge), I can recommend the Helfull tutorials here:
    [Creating Mods] Helfull's Tutorials [1.2.5][Forge] - Minecraft Forum

He doesn't have much, but he goes the extra length of having a github repo with example code. Examples: creating property files, creating recipes, etc. It'll give you a start.

This looks like an excellent starting point, thanks! I really like that the person took the time to have example code.