Posts by McFistyBuns

That is very strange, because I use the Additional Pipes mod myself. I even had it installed in my test environment and I did not encounter this texture problem.

I had this start happening to me as well. For me it was a MV Transformer to a LV Transformer, and it was a very repeatable crash too. I knew exactly how far I could go until it caused a crash. What I noticed was that when it crashed, it was the same 2 transformers every time. So, what I did was I took a chunk block from Zeldo's additional pipes and put it down near the two offending Transformers. Now, that didn't work by itself, but those blocks have a neat little function that when you hit F9, it will turn on outlines of chunks. Low and behold, the dividing line between two chunks ended up being right between the two transformers. So what I did was move both transformers into the same chunk. So far so good, but I still have some more testing to do I think.

ah hah! that solved my crash issue as well.

I don't suppose anyone has any answers to my other two questions I asked above?

Neat.. I don't suppose you know if it works with teleport pipes?
    A couple of my machines are all a bit on the distant side so running power to them normally would get interesting. How short is "short"?

I just tried them with teleport pipes and they do seem to work. It wasn't a very long distance though, so your mileage may very. And it's not necessarily that they "need" to be short, it's just that I noticed that it will start to send energy in waves if they get long. You will still only be using only the energy you need, it just won't be a steady and constant stream. If you could, try it out and report back your findings. I'd love some "real world" data, as I can only do so much in a test environment.

New in Version 0.21, Energy Regulator Pipes!

Never waste another EU again! Regulator Pipes will now automatically calculate and determine the optimal amount of energy to send to your buildcraft machines!

How to use:
    1) Attach a Wooden Regulator Pipe to the Energy Coupler BuildCraft output side
    2) Attach either a Gold or Stone Regulator Pipe to the energy's end destination, for example a Quarry or even another Energy Coupler!
    3) Connect the two endpoints with Energy Pipes
    4) Watch the energy flow at a regulated rate after the machine has filled itself up!
    5) There is no step 4! The pipes handle everything for you!

Some Regulator Pipe limitations:
    - Because of the way Energy Pipes pass energy requests, you may experience energy "waves" in longer pipes. For optimal use, it is recommended that you keep your pipe runs short.
    - Wooden Regulator Pipes are only intended for use with Energy Couplers. You may experience unintended consequences when using them with BuildCraft Engines.

Since there's a GUI for the block now, can you please also add a way of dialing in a specific rate of energy delivery? Comparable levels of buildcraft engines would be interesting. To display along side the setting.

I've found that chests work just perfectly with a single LV converter, but I'm not sure if my quarries are running at full speed or not.

Huh, that's an interesting idea...That might actually be a way around this whole BuildCraft PowerProvider problem without having to make new power pipes. Definitely something I'll think about.

As far as a bukkit port, please, be my guest. I'll post the source. It's a bit messy right now because I just wanted to get some features in.

I think there are a couple of things in play with your observations in that post. First, the quarry can store energy itself, which is probably why you are seeing it operate after the energy stops. If you look at my posts a little higher up, you'll see that the quarry can store 7000 BC Energy and it uses (2 + energyStored / 1000). So, as you can see, a fully charged quarry will run for a bit after the energy going to it has stopped.

The other problem your seeing I think is related to the way BuildCraft's energy system is set up. Overage is discarded and machines always request the maximum even if they are already full. Most machines I've looked at request a maximum of 25 BCE no matter what. So I think a good rule of thumb is never convert more than 32EUs to a machine. I don't think there's ever going to be 0% loss unless BuildCraft changes the way machines request energy.

Does that make sense?

Ok, I just posted v0.20. This version changes some functionality, so please back up your save and read this before upgrading.

A redstone signal will now turn the coupler on/off instead of changing the direction of the conversion. Because of the change, I've added a GUI that allows you to select the direction.
    Theoretically, currently placed couplers should default to converting EUs to BC Energy. So any blocks you had placed with redstone current to convert to BC Energy will have to be changed in the GUI to convert to BC Energy and then have the redstone current removed in order for them to work again. Placed couplers without redstone current shouldn't need any change. Hopefully.

I also fixed the major conversion loss bug that d1red pointed out. EU to BCE to EU conversion should now be at about %97 for HV and MV and at about 92% for LV. Don't know why it's different for LV, but I think it has something to do again with Wooden Power Pipes. I had to throttle conversion from EU to BCE to about 72 EUs/tick, otherwise the Wooden Power Pipe gets filled and silently throws the excess away. This makes HV Couplers kind of useless for converting to BCE. Not sure how to get around that one yet.

I'm also in the process of moving everything off of IC2 classes. There are some things I haven't quite worked out yet, but that mostly has to do with SSP which is pretty involved. The IC2 Platform and NetworkManager classes make it a lot easier to deal with. So until I can work out my own classes to handle SSP, I'm stuck using them right now...but I'm getting there.

It would be a wonderful improvement if the coupler could detect that the target was 'full' and not transfer any further energy. Whenever I turn these on to power anything in buildcraft they seem to simply sink whatever the maximum energy is directly in to the target machine or wooden pipe.

Unfortunately, I don't think that will happen unless there is a change in the way BuildCraft Machines request energy. I'll demonstrate with the code from BuildCraft's Quarry:

Code
    public TileQuarry() {
      powerProvider = PowerFramework.currentFramework.createPowerProvider();
      powerProvider.configure(20, 25, 25, 25, MAX_ENERGY);
    }

Here, the configure parameters are thus: 1 - latency, 2 - minEnergyReceived, 3 - maxEnergyReceived, 4 - minActivationEnergy, 5 - maxStoredEnergy.
    So the quarry is set to receive a minimum and maximum of 25 BC Energy. MAX_ENERGY is a constant that is set to 7000 for the quarry. So the Quarry's power provider will store up to 7000 BC Energy.

Hopefully the non-programmers are still with me...anyway, when pipes are transfering energy, they look for IPowerReceptor blocks to deliver energy to. If they find one, they ask it how much energy they want by using the powerRequest method, which is actually shared across all BuildCraft Factory blocks (Quarry, Pump, Refinery, etc):

Code
    public int powerRequest() {
      if (isActive()) {
        return getPowerProvider().maxEnergyReceived;
      } else {
        return 0;
      }		
    }

So, all Factory blocks will request maxEnergyReceived which, in the Quarry's case as seen above is 25. Furthermore, here's how the Quarry's powerProvider acts when it receives that energy from the source:

Code
    public void receiveEnergy (int quantity) {
      energyStored += quantity;

if (energyStored > maxEnergyStored) {
        energyStored = maxEnergyStored;
      }
    }

What that means is the Quarry's power provider will take the energy, add it to its stored energy, then it checks to see if that value is more than 7000. If it is, it just silently sets the energy stored to the maximum, basically discarding it.

Anyway, that's a basic overview, there are a few more things going on but that's basically how pipes hand off the energy to blocks.

Interesting. I did some digging and I think I found the problem. Wooden power pipes only store 1000 BC Energy. After that, any energy that gets added is just thrown away silently. It seems that the coupler is throwing too much energy at the wooden power pipes and the excess is getting thrown away. The effect is more pronounced with more energy. I think I have a fix, but I'm going to do some more testing. There's still going to be some loss because of the way BC Power pipes handle loss. I think I have it at 95% though.

Update: After doing some testing and an interesting bit of math, it turns out the Wooden Power pipes are basically a bottleneck. The way they work, (and I could be reading the code wrong), is they can store 1000 BC Energy units, which are then output depending on how much is currently stored. The logic is thus: If the amount stored is >40, divide the amount by 40 and add 4. If the amount is <40 but >10, divide the amount by 10, and if <10 output 1. So, 1000/40+4 = 29BCE. So it would appear that the maximum output of a wooden pipe would be ~72.5EUs/tick (29x2.5). Therefore, it looks like a HV Energy Coupler is pretty useless when converting EUs to BCE, since it would output more per tick than a wooden pipe can handle.

I'm wondering now if I should create a wooden pipe without that output bottleneck.

again me. I guess its time to register...

As I understood, BC=2,5IC

So 1 combustion engine is fine to power rafinery (full speed). Also combustion engine gave me 10 EU, same as geothermal generator. So 1 geo generator should power rafinery just fine... but it doesnt. Actually I need 5 geo generators to power 3 rafineries (to get it to full speed I need additional power stored at MFE). Could I check if it isnt maybe dividing power in both ways Mean 100 EU->20BC>4EU (while writing this Im wondering why didnt I check it exacly that way...). Anyway Ill try to go sleep. would be kind is U check code for me (I guess U find me little anoying right now, but w/e)

IC2 1.23, BuildCraft 2.2.3 Energy Coupler 0.19.

Test setup:

Combustion Engine with one bucket Fuel -> Wooden Power Pipe -> Gold Power Pipe -> Refinery: Combustion Engine does not power the refinery at full speed (bars are purple, not green)
    Geothermal Generator -> copper cable -> Energy Coupler -> Wooden Power Pipe -> Gold Power Pipe -> Refinery: Refinery operates at the same speed, bars are moving at purple, same as the Combustion engine.

Let me guess, Linux server? If so, modloader load order is kinda borked right now...
    There may be a work-around here if you're adventerous

http://code.google.com/p/addit…issues/detail?id=18&can=1

Would it be possible to change the redstone signal to shut off the power conversion instead of switching the conversion of power? There is a lot of energy wasted in conversion because it cannot be stored on the BC2 side. Then you could possibly set up a GUI to select your conversion from IC2 to BC2 and vice versa?

Funny enough, that's what I'm currently working on for v0.20. The hard part was figuring out how to make the GUI work in SMP. I think I have that worked out though. Should be ready in a couple of days.

Will 1.7 work with 1.15 IC^2? I'm waiting on a few other Add-On's to update before I move on to the latest version of IC^2, lol

(If not, can I get the most recent back version of this add-on for that version of IC, if it's not too much to ask?)

0.17 should be for IC2 1.15. 0.18 is the version I updated to IC2 1.23. At least that's what I have in my changelog :P Hard to keep track of this and work sometimes...

Huh, that's interesting. It looks like it may be because it was loaded before BuildCraftEnergy.

Also, I wonder if it might also be BuildCraftTransport complaining. I don't have anything in my code that specifically mentions the PneumaticPowerFramework directly that I can think of. I'm wondering if it's because transport might be configured to use the PneumaticPowerFramework before BuildCraftEnergy is loaded.