Posts by Jijan_Dax

I had a weird problem today.
    I installed the mod for bukkit on my server and I could craft them, put them down, connect them to power but when I click them no GUI pops up?? In fact, nothing happens at all.
    Very weird ...

Am not getting a single error message so I'm a little stumped.

I found some interesting bugs while testing the bukkit version of this mod and I thought I'd post the 'report' here as well. Hope it helps!!

Craftbukkit Version: 1597
    Modular Force Field System V1.0 Beta 4

Other Mods:
    Redpower 2.0 Beta
    Buildcraft 2.2.8
    IC2 1.43
    IC2 Buildcraft crossover mod
    Hot Air Balloons V1.0.0

Notable Bugs:

-
    (SEVERE) The person that puts down a field deflector looses connection
    to the server. Additionaly when that person tries to put down another
    MFFS block there is a minor chance that another lost connection occurs
    (might have something to do with keeping the deflector in your
    inventory)
    - EU-injectors do not accept current from glass fiber
    cables that are bent. Only a straight connection will do. (Making the
    cable bend first and then have a straight piece will work however)
    -
    (SEVERE) Whenever you move out of rendering range of a large cubular
    forcefield (I use 61x61 fields) there is a high chance that the
    forcefield will cut into blocks or shear them off where it's supposed to
    form around an structure.
    - (maybe not really a bug) Forcefields
    will stop nuclear explosions that occur very near the field. They will
    however not stop a blast that happens a good distance away from it
    (leading to more damage from an explosion 15 blocks away than one 3
    blocks away)
    - (unsure) Some people have reported being unable to
    come near a structure housing MFFS blocks without DC'ing. (could be a
    bad install on their part though)

Hope this helps improve the overall awesomness of this mod ;) If I find more inconcistencies I'll let you guys know.

I would think that it just fries wires, that way it's a REALLY annoying piece of tech that could be quite OP but doesn't hurt precious advanced machines that took a long time to craft.

Also: I believe that fiberglass wire (in the real world as well) is naturally shielded from EMP allowing for the inevitable (but horrendously expensive) counter ^^

Name:

Holographic Minecraft Character (Although I guess the block itself should be called 'Holographic emitter' or something)

Recipe:

RI - GD - RI
    AC - PC - AC
    RI - ID - RI

where:
    RI: Refined Iron
    GD: Glowstone Dust
    AC: Advanced Circuit
    PC: Punch Card (new item)
    ID: Industrial Diamond

Description:

In a perfect world my idea would work like this:
    The hologram is an advanced signpost. Once the thing activates a Minecraft character will materialize on top of the holographic emitter block and say a message in chat (or whisper it to one person to avoid griefing). Then it just stands there until someone turns it off. Clicking the holographic minecraft character (HMC) will replay the message. When active it needs to be fed 2EU/t in order to stay active (5EU/t for realism). When turned off it doesn't waste any power.

--> Punch cards: They come in two varieties: The 'standard Punch card' and the 'Personalized Punch Card'. They work kind of like the programs in the terraformer.

When you insert the standard punch card into the holographic emitter block you get to record (type in) the message you want it to say and upon activation the standard hologram (that came with the mod) will appear. (It could look like Cortana from Halo for example)

The Personalized punch card does exactly the same thing except that when the emitter is activated a hologram that looks like your character will pop out. Which will then say/whisper the message.

In a non-perfect world the idea of punch cards can be thrown overboard and the emitter can just display your character saying a message (which from what I understand of MC mechanics is easier than shipping a pre-made character along with the mod)

Uses: Apart from being a cool way to record messages holograms can function as tour guides, merchants (not that they can trade or anything but they can greet you before you head to the selling unit), decoys, extensions of your own vanity ... loads of opportunities I'm sure :rolleyes:

Name:

Palm Scanner (or retina scanner if you like the sound of that better)

Recipe:

RI - GD - Ri
    Ri - EC - RD

where:
    RI: refined Iron
    GD: glowstone dust
    EC: Electronic circuit
    RD: redstone dust
    *: nothing

Description

In essence this works exactly like a lever, with the one exception that it 'imprints' on the first person that uses it. (hence it's basically a lever that only responds to a single person) This allows for a new way to secure advanced machines and bases. A truly clever person could use this as an 'override switch' to retake control of an advanced base or complex redstone wiring mechanism. Following this line of thought it would be nice to have the scanner stick well to sticky pistons (allowing it to come out of the wall, or floor like a boss ;) ) -> Would have some limited use in SMP I think.

I am not certain of the cause of this error, however, you can download the client I use at brickedtechnology.blogspot.com and use it. You'd have to adjust IDs and so forth, and remove the mods that I have, but it would work.

Many, many thanks for allowing me to use your server as reference ... I erm, 'dissected' (for science of course) it and learned quite a bit ^^, including the solution to my issue. Don't worry, I won't steal any of your amazingly modded stuff. Thanks again!!

Right so the new bukkit thingie is running smoothly on my forge/redpower/buildcraft/IC2/bukkit server (I had to change some annoying block ID's but everything seems fine)

The client is another matter: It crashes horribly.
    Now I changed the block ID's in the client as well and considering that the server is running that should not be a problem.
    And it isn't because I 'asked' modloader to only load IC2 and the modular forcefield mod and it still crashes horribly.

This is the report modloader gives me (the report from minecraft itself flashes by to fast to read)

Java confuses the hell out of me so if anyone can please help me :P ... That would be amazing, I've read that a lot of people made this mod work so I have no idea what's so different here with me.

Yeah the cloaking device was my idea ^^ ... although it would be awesome to make something disappear (still hoping ...), turning it into a mountain would be pretty neat as well.

Also, just imagine what kind of secret hidouts you can make if you could use a freqtrans to turn a holographic wall solid/non-solid!!
    for example: My secret lab is hidden behind a holographic solid wall. I right-click with my freqtrans and it becomes non-solid for let's say 5 seconds (enough for me to pass through)

I support this suggestion :thumbup:

Before I start let me say that I like the Yogscast, they're funny and expound on interesting stuff in the MC community (be it maps, mods or whatnot).

That said I'm extremely disappointed in them. I don't mind them doing modcasts without permission (modders should be extatic if Simon and Lewis showcase their mods, it's good for everyone) but when it came to their modpack I always assumed the modders GAVE them their permission. Right now they're stealing another person's work and can get away with it due to their massive popularity.

I don't know, do they still include the original authors?? That would indicate at least SOME measure of respect.

As for modders having huge ego's ... I've never really met modding egotrippers ... I HAVE met very rude plugin developers but that's another circuit.
    Usually modders (like Alblaka) and plugin devs are quite strict ... and for good reason!! They get a constant stream of people (80% of them haven't bothered to do their own research or read the instructions) asking them the same thing over and over again. Without rules things break down. I've had to bring my Admin-hammer down on several idiots for valid reasons and although I did it in a polite way they still called me a tyrant. I'm guessing that's what's happening here: The Yogscast is resisting the authority modders have over their own work.

Whatever their reasons or motives they should have asked permission. It's true that in the end both parties will most likely profit from it but that doesn't make it right.

I too believe that forcefields should be invisible ... or at least close to (it's nice to be able to make out where your forcefield is xD, although it should still be transparent)

I'm just hoping forcefields will be implemented again. So far we (sorry that should be 'I' :thumbup: ) haven't heard anything and it's not on the 'to appear in a next release'-list :S