Posts by RD_Hooker

Between the huge nerf to reactors ('fun' nerf... computer-controlled
    CASUCs were fun, the new system is just 'meh'), and the rampant bugs
    since 103, I haven't been very happy with the direction IC2 is going.

Whole-heartedly agreed. I'm currently trying to find an old version which does actually work well.

I recently spent a day setting up a new MC server off the world file a bunch of friends and I used, which was pretty heavily dependent on IC2. It was really frustrating when we got it all working, only to find out IC2 is broken as hell, rendering our world pretty unplayable due to dependence on jetpacks or quantum boots.
    It's equally frustrating that for the last three weeks, the only hint of fixes we've seen is the occasional "fixed" comment by a dev in any given bug report thread, despite the fact we aren't going to be seeing any fixes for an indefinite period of time.

I love this mod; minecraft is pretty unplayable without it for me. It's frustrating and pretty souring that not only is obviously broken code released, no hint of fixed releases are in sight. It's like the devs don't care their stuff is broken, or that their users' experiences are being trashed by these bugs. And that, is the worst part of all.

Honestly you just said it, what's a few extra days to make sure things work? Sure I think they could use more beta testers, but "actually test before releasing", does even Mojang release bug free products? Many of the bugs, such as the ones reported by sethbling, have not yet been fixed, even major bugs people abused like the piston duplication glitch still work in the current version with gravel and sand. I think that to say that IC2 outright wasn't tested is just being disrespectful to the testers and to a lesser extent the developers, can you show me one piece of software IC2's size that hasn't had its share of bugs?

My point was, they've already had more than a few extra days to hotfix some of the broken features from the release. There have been multiple dev posts saying "fixed" to the various reported bugs, with no release of any form in sight.
    A few more days of testing would have been good BEFORE releasing broken code. Now that the broken shit's out in production, it's time to fix things.
    I'm going to say there was a big lack of testing going on. For instance, with the entire quantum suit and jetpacks - all someone had to do was try to quantum jump and they'd notice that was broken, or try to use a jetpack and notice that flat-out didn't work. For whatever testing was done, it wasn't remotely close to enough.
    Saying that "all software of this size has bugs" is a massive cop-out. One developer releasing buggy code is never an excuse nor an explanation for another developer to release buggy code.

They could release a crapload of hotfixes for every major bug fixed, or they could just wait for a few extra days and release them all in one updated version like I assume they are already doing (personally this makes more sense to me).

or they could just wait for a few extra days

a few extra days

Because what's a few more days on top of a release taking place after an indefinite period of time?

They could, you know, actually release a version with fixes thus far.
    Or actually test before releasing.

Fixed: plantballs, TE removal from enet (no "dirty" thing yet), rubber sapling drop chance (apples already fixed), CFS clientsiding, slowsand drill speed (crops are supposed to work), superheat fixed but not notified to anyone, drill damage

Cable duplication is caused by ghosting. NVG issues are caused due to a client only method but fixed using reflection. Scaffolds are not working the way they should I don't know why.

I don't see any mention of jetpacks or quantum suit boots :/

I am not sure if you know the vanilla Minecraft code, but it is on average a big pile of mess with some not-so-bad parts every now and then. Doing TDD is close to impossible on top of that mess and unit testing on experimental code (aka game development) is imo slowing down things more than it helps. There are other methods like Module Driven Development, which are much more helpful on frequently changing code while reducing the amount of bugs drastically as well.

Anyhow, beside discussing religious believes ;), some form of development process other than hacking it together & release might be helpful to reduce the bugs on IC as well.

Either one results in a nice pile of unit tests that let you know when something is broken :P
    But yes, I agree.

As someone who loves Minecraft and the IC mod, coming back to a setup after 6 months of not playing, to set my server back up and reimport my world, only to have significant chunks of IC broken with the live version (jetpacks, scaffolding, misc. quantum suit issues), I'm pretty disheartened and frustrated.
    For all the cool things being added to IC, it really feels like a "fix one thing, break two more" situation.

That's PART of what it says on startup. This is the full:

Code
    23.09 03:19:58 [Server] INFO [STDOUT] MinecraftForge v4.1.1.251 Initialized
    23.09 03:19:57 [Server] INFO [ForgeModLoader] MinecraftForge v4.1.1.251 Initialized
    23.09 03:19:56 [Server] INFO [STDOUT] [IC2] Config loaded from \.\config\IC2.cfg
    23.09 03:19:56 [Server] INFO [ForgeModLoader] Forge Mod Loader has identified 3 mods to load
    23.09 03:19:54 [Server] INFO [ForgeModLoader] Searching \mods for mods
    23.09 03:19:54 [Server] INFO [ForgeModLoader] Completed early MinecraftForge initialization
    23.09 03:19:54 [Server] INFO [ForgeModLoader] Attempting early MinecraftForge initialization
    23.09 03:19:54 [Server] INFO [STDOUT] 27 achievements
    23.09 03:19:54 [Server] INFO [STDOUT] 195 recipes
    23.09 03:19:51 [Server] INFO [ForgeModLoader] Forge Mod Loader version 3.0.196.366 for Minecraft client:1.3.2, server:1.3.2 loading

2. General: To my understanding this version had an increased version of testers, yet it feels like the buggiest version released ever. I think there should be the question around: why? Not to blame and to call names, just for one reason: to figure out what could be done better next time.
    While I absolutely agree that releasing a version without any bugs is probably for a hobby project unrealistic, some things shouldn't even happen in such a project. If bugs are so plain obvious (like the jetpack not working, CF-Pack charge, or the Quantum helmet crash (just to name a few), it becomes equally plain obvious that testing was not done at all on these items, as otherwise these bugs would have been immediately noticed. In my opinion such versions of IC² should either be released clearly marked as in-dev versions, so everyone knows they might encounter lots of bugs, or the concept of testing should be on the table to discuss in general.

This is a pretty good example of why test-driven development, or even just unit testing, is a fucking amazing thing.
    Write a test to exercise the code handling something, if it breaks in the future, the tests will reflect it.

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but QuantumSuit Boots don't seem to be working either.
    Made sure LCTRL is bound to the Boost key, held it down, jumped, only jumped normal height. Tried on a freshly crafted and charged set of QuantumSuit Boots with the same result. No errors in server console.

When two users with at least Quantum Leggings are on the same grid, neither has the increased jump height while jumping after running with the Quantum Suit speed buff. If either player disconnects, the remaining player once again has the jump height increased along with the speed increase. If either player moves to another chunk, both players again have the jump height increased.
    The only mod the server is running is IC2 1.15.
    Edit: It's the boots. The boots do the jump height. That jump height is what's breaking.

Urban Dictionary

Legit
    1. (adj.) A modern synonym for words such as "cool," "ill," "tight," or "dope." Used to describe a noun that is of a particularly excellent quality. The slang use of this term is slowly but steadily increasing in popularity.

I'm glad to see only one of the four referenced words is used with any frequency here in IA :P

You don't have to watch it long. Watch it for 30 ticks or so and watch the heat of various things. Keep note of how fast the heat rises in comparison to the # ticks. You were getting 5+ heat per tick on those water cells consistently. Knowing that average even from just 100 ticks or so, you can calculate when the cells will pop. 10000 max heat / ~5 heat gained per tick = ~2000 ticks 'til pop.

2. Its still a bug!

It's actually not a bug, it's a Minecraft mechanic.
    The Drill is pretty much treated as a special shovel/pick. Like with normal shovels/picks, if you keep holding leftclick it's gonna keep mining. The drill is fast enough at mining that you don't have as much time to stop left-clicking in order to not break the next block. There's no bug at all there; what you're really asking for is a nerf to the Diamond drill, which already exists as the Mining drill.

So, Miners are pretty power hungry, even with just an OD scanner. With an OV scanner they become quite a bit more power hungry.
    Unless I'm wrong they only accept LV input (32EU/t max).
    How do you guys wire them up to keep them juiced up while mining away, be it with an OD or OV scanner? As it is I'm ending up having to play hotswap with batteries.

So to make sure I understand this -
    If a miner has two pumps attached, both with cells, one will start filling cells.
    With only one pump attached, loaded with cells, it gets stuck at the end of the cycle and doesn't fill a cell.
    Correct?