Posts by Xarses

Simply a single "pollution" wont address the subject correctly. Air pollution should lead to smog -> acid rain -> water pollution -> ground pollution. "Pollution" Broadly should would mostly impact biological entities. Pollution should not be singularly to encourage tier progression. In fact properly laid out, it can encourage both progression, machine selection, and ecological awareness. Progression of energy generation may be driven by reducing air pollution, while higher tier production machines should make more of it. Lending to ecological thoughtful building, including cleaning the pollution up properly before it makes it into the ecosystem

I would note that higher tiers don't really create more pollution per say. All machines of the class should create the same amount of pollution per operation, but higher tier machines process materials faster so they can create more pollution per minute than a lower tier machine.

No hard limits. I believe in soft controls in game design rather than strict ones.

Short verison:

• Machines will produce varying amounts of pollution per cycle into the chunk and dimension. Stuff like Lava Boilers will be big offenders.
    • The air will cleanse itself of Y pollution per cycle. This way you can always produce SOME pollution and it has zero impact.
    • Chunks will dissipate Z pollution per cycle into adjacent chunks.
    • Machines (possibly any GT machine in your base) will regularly check the pollution level and if its too high, have a chance to "miss" a tick production wise. So energy will be spent, but nothing will happen during that tick.
    • Higher tier machines will generally produce far less pollution than lower tech machines!!

After that I'll entertain all the usual requests about dying crops and acid rain and health impacts, etc etc. Tech balance first though.

[edit adding tldr]

tldr; Adding pollution for progression == bad, adding pollution on enhance realism and immersion into the GT theme == great

While pollution is a good subject to address, "pollution" simply doesn't effect all machines the same way. Using "pollution" to force tier advancement is equally contentious (my first thought is, "ya, no") Using it to broadly impact machine performance is simply not reasonable.

Simply a single "pollution" wont address the subject correctly. Air pollution should lead to smog -> acid rain -> water pollution -> ground pollution. "Pollution" Broadly should would mostly impact biological entities. Pollution should not be singularly to encourage tier progression. In fact properly laid out, it can encourage both progression, machine selection, and ecological awareness. Progression of energy generation may be driven by reducing air pollution, while higher tier production machines should make more of it. Lending to ecological thoughtful building, including cleaning the pollution up properly before it makes it into the ecosystem

Pollution creation:
    * Air pollution for the most part should only be created by machines that burn (high emission) and melt (medium - low) emission
    * Water pollution would be further produced by machines that consume water. washers (high emission), chemical reactors (high emission), furnace boilers (low)
    * Ground pollution could be generated by storage or presence of hazardous materials, this also lends to contaminated biomes

Impact to machinery:
    * Air pollution would impact machines that require clean air to operate: solar machines (high), burning generators (low-med), chip fabricators (high), melting (low)
    * Water pollution would impact machines that expect clean water to operate: washers (med-high), steam (from not distilled water) (very high)
    * Ground pollution would mostly not impact machines as it leads to air / water pollution levels
    * Machines that don't have these requirements should be un-impacted by respective pollution

Impact to bio(me):
    * Air pollution at lower levels (smog) should lead to quicker exhaustion and slow plant growth. At higher levels it should lead to acid rain that should damage any entity out side
    * Water pollution at lower levels should reduce air capacity under water, and slow plant growth. At higher levels young animals should not grow up, it should increase the chance of having acid rain, submerging in water should cause damage, including rapid loss of breath under water.
    * Ground pollution at low levels should impact movement speed. At high levels animals cant breed, ground should be visibly tainted, dangerous and require manual cleanup, mobs should spawn during the day. later mutated and / or aggressive passive mobs should occur including angry cows that attack player and other passives (killing off the heard).

Generally the more toxic the environment the more hostile and visibly disgusting it should become.

Pollution progression
    starting with air pollution by burning things we should start to see smog generate in the environment and slight impact to water pollution levels and even lesser impact to ground pollution. As the player starts using machines that have higher impact to water pollution (or heavy air-pollution over time) we start to see impact into the water system, sustained pollution here creates high impact to ground contamination and the relationship between air and water pollution should be maintained (A high water pollution will result in air pollution). A similar relationship would exist between ground pollution and water pollution, and by extension air pollution. For example an air index of 100 might result in water pollution of 10 and ground of 1 (random numbers to show some relation) (after some time of it saying at 100) if we have a ground pollution of 10, eventually water and air would become 100 and 1000 if not abated by controlling measures.

Distribution, containment
    Distribution similar to your prior note makes sense. The source of pollution should spread at some rate at some logarithmic rate. (similar to the reactor heat exchanger) Chunks not creating pollution should absorb some of it naturally (not very much) however would still be impacted by progression noted above. Pollution should be containable with the right tools, IRL we can minimize the production of air, water and ground contamination and there for the same should apply. For instance we can limit the amount of emissions by adding catalytic converters to ensure that pollution particulates are converted to more inter substances before emission.

Pushing tech tier
    So now putting this all together in the stone age we should only see pushing in the air contamination and little in the way of impact. Starting in the bronze age we should see increased impact into the air system and some into the water system. Steel by carbon burning should see massive air pollution. Starting in the electric age we should start to see massive water pollution, mostly from ore washing and chemical reaction. and So on. Higher tier machines of the same variety should actually produce more pollution. So how do we encourage moving forward? Abatement and containment tools should only become available with products from higher tier machines. Things like simple carbon filters may help marginally with water pollution but something like a catalytic converter requires expensive and rare materials that we can only produce in quantity from pollution crating processing. So if you want to live in that wasteland you created from only using a tree farm and charcoal, you can, but it's going to be hard.

Mine makes Steel. Could you give me a complete ModList?

Was using FTB Mind Crack v3 with GregTech 2.72c

To anybody else having the issues with Steel
    Go into your Railcraft config file and set B:recipes.ic2.use.steel to FALSE

This doesn't help

I've since upgraded to FTB Mind Crack v4 with GregTech 2.73d with no love. Went back to GregTech 2.70d that is packed with FTB and low and behold the steel works again

Playing 2.72c (awesome btw. Thx Greg) iron dust and coal dust in a 1520K blast furnace is making refined iron, not steel (a MC 1.4.5 version was just making steel). Looking through NEI, it appears that there are no receipies for the 3 version of steel (ignots) around except from block or steel dust. Is this an expected change?

Greg,

Maybe the Laptronic Engerystorageunit / LESU-blocks could support multiple controller. I could see either an advanced unit or each addtl controller cut the output by number of controllers. IE a 512 LESU with 2 controllers would ouput 256 each.

Here's my notion for this I'd like to have a controller near bedrock for my lightning rod and another at my base for output into my machinery.

First off I love IC, I love the work you guys do and I'd likely still be using this if you didn't change anything.

That said the last ~45 seconds of Kane's rant (Yes its a rant) is about the only useful section. It is quite flaming to the IC devs, but unfortunately is is a symptom of a problem between the dev team and the users. I think the base points that are trying to be made are:

1. Release more fixes
    2. Be more open (not necessarly source)
    3. Communicate more to the users.
    4. Accept help
    5. Test better

Now to my 2 cents.

A. Please do nightly regular builds
    B. Get a bug tracker
    C. Communicate to the users
    D. Open up a little and relax

A. The build thing is a common problem I see around here "its fixed in..." "its fixed already..." If we had access to more incremental or "hot-fix" builds then we would be able to help find new bugs or stop crying all-together. This also leads into B.

B. Get a bug tracker. From what I've been able to discern (maybe I'm wrong) is that the only area to post bugs is the form. Which is nearly the worst way to track issues other than maybe PM's. Please get a tracker, they are easy to monitor, easy to see if a problem was already reported and easy to see if the problem was already fixed. It should reduce the time you guys spend yelling talking at people about duplicate reports. This also leads to C.

C. Communicate. The information we can (easily) find related to updates, progress, and known issues is difficult to find to non-existent. Formalized bug tracking will help (See B). Please stop taking a lot of the users "stupidity" or otherwise lack of following your directions as an insult. At times the dev team can be very hostile to users simply because they ask a dumb question, or didn't read through a couple hundred posts.

D. You have openly flamed rawcode for his 1.106 bugfix mod. Yes he should have asked for permission per your directions, but it also shows that there are issues here. If your user feels that it's necessary to post fixes because you have failed to publish them, don't flame them over it. First relax, then see what you can do to pull this back into IC. Maybe they could be a contirbutor, there are other sub-mod contributors that might be helpfull to IC in general as bug hunters. We all do these kinds of things because we a passionate about them, but at times we need to step back, relax and let someone else help if they can and/or are willing to.

Thanks

I'm sorry, but still confused about the lightning rods.
    1) It looks like we get power from a non-visual strike. Is this expected?
    2) With the placement of the HV-Transformers does the input orientation matter? I've faced two two of the inputs (3-dot) towards the lightningrod block and two away towards my cables, but it appears to give me 512/tick out. Am I going to loose partial amounts of the product from a "strike". When i place all four blocks inward or outward I dont appear to receive any energy during a storm, but could i just be unlucky with the strikes?

On a side note the mod is lovely. Is there anything that we can do to improve documentation? Forms are great and all its nearly useless to sift through old posts since alot of it has over time. I found a gaminghouse.eu site in one of the threads but the recipies appear to be quite stale, and I'm not sure but it looks like it cant be community edited.

thanks.

Greg, stuff looks beautiful

There appears to be an error when a miner is trying to mine out blocks. message in spoiler, deleting gregtechmod.zip allows the world to load otherwise it crashes before it starts rendering my world. version in mods button identifies the version as 1.08b

Please let me know if I can provide any more information