Texture Idea For The Plasma Launcher

• Official Post

I am working on a model for that and the mining laser in blender. The plasma gun is also WIP right now so I doubt it will be fully implemented until a bit later.

• I am working on a model for that and the mining laser in blender. The plasma gun is also WIP right now so I doubt it will be fully implemented until a bit later.

Is your blender model anywhere similar to the one I have come up with? And do you think my model is ok? Last thing, when you are done the models, would you post a picture? I would like to see them if that's ok.

• Official Post

plasma....launcher....?
    is this a gun for IC2 or a super mining laser?

A Plasma "launcher" is more comparable to most "plasma guns" in games, because most of the damage from them is done by Kinetic and Heat, not speed and puncturing.

• A Plasma "launcher" is more comparable to most "plasma guns" in games, because most of the damage from them is done by Kinetic and Heat, not speed and puncturing.

Depends on what you assume the Plasma Launcher consist of. Is this just an ion-accelerator (which would allow extreme speed compared to classicals way of sending bullets, but ions themselves wouldn't go very far ...) or is it a "Plasma Launcher" because it send superheated air ?

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• Official Post

Depends on what you assume the Plasma Launcher consist of. Is this just an ion-accelerator (which would allow extreme speed compared to classicals way of sending bullets, but ions themselves wouldn't go very far ...) or is it a "Plasma Launcher" because it send superheated air ?

If it shot ions, it would be an ion cannon. Thus, it would likely by Nitrogen/Oxygen plasma.

• If it shot ions, it would be an ion cannon.

Lol. How do you define a Plasma then ? I'll answer instead: often refered as the "4th state of matter", a plasma appears when a gas is energized enough for its molecules (generally just atoms, since molecules would've been split before) are just consisting of Nucleus and, separately, electrons. Then a Plasma is gazeous ions.

Thus, it would likely by Nitrogen/Oxygen plasma.

My question was more like: how do you assume the Plasma inflict damages ? I kow, it's called like that just because it's sounds cool, but it doesn't really make sense ^^

NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• Official Post

Lol. How do you define a Plasma then ? I'll answer instead: often refered as the "4th state of matter", a plasma appears when a gas is energized enough for its molecules (generally just atoms, since molecules would've been split before) are just consisting of Nucleus and, separately, electrons. Then a Plasma is gazeous ions.

My question was more like: how do you assume the Plasma inflict damages ? I know, it's called like that just because it's sounds cool, but it doesn't really make sense ^^

An Ion gun would simply be a kinetic weapon like conventional guns, but using ions (electrically charged atoms with either added or subtracted electrons/protons) .
    Where as a plasma is a material that has become electrically charged (like an ion) through a ton of HEAT (becoming a soup of uncombined electrons and protons caused by said heat, which recombine when the plasma cools down to a gas) And so the majority of the damage would come from heat (8000Kish). Think of it like a flamethrower that shoots liquid lightning (is that an accurate analogy?). I cannot find nitrogen's plasma temperature (although I found its ionization temperature is less then hydrogen's) but is used in some kind of process called "plasma spraying"?

• An Ion gun would simply be a kinetic weapon like conventional guns, but using ions (electrically charged atoms with either added or subtracted electrons/protons) .

Yeah but unless that ions in a heavy shell to accelerate the shell faster than you would with explosives, it would be kind of useless since the distance you would shot with would be ... I guess measurable in nanometers.

Where as a plasma is a material that has become electrically charged (like an ion) through a ton of HEAT (becoming a soup of uncombined electrons and protons caused by said heat, which recombine when the plasma cools down to a gas) And so the majority of the damage would come from heat (8000Kish). Think of it like a flamethrower that shoots liquid lightning (is that an accurate analogy?). I cannot find nitrogen's plasma temperature (although I found its ionization temperature is less then hydrogen's) but is used in some kind of process called "plasma spraying"?

Then it has an issue: it shots, as a flame thrower (Especially if you assume that's a flamethrower using Gas --'), only a few meters away ... :p
    I'm just bothering you, I know it's just cause it sounds cool ^^

NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• Official Post

Then assume the plasma launcher/gun uses extremely strong electromagnetism to accelerate plasma outwards the gun, providing high speeds, alongside the heat.

Exactly. Its not just going to be high pressured matt. You need propulsion somewhere after superheating the nitrogen.

• Then assume the plasma launcher/gun uses extremely strong electromagnetism to accelerate plasma outwards the gun, providing high speeds, alongside the heat.

Yes but no. I assumed that already, but Fluid Physics would say you that plasma will be slowed down extremly fast, unlike a SOLID shell ... Especially if you think of the diffusion equation ... that basically tell you the Plasma will extremly quickly be "dissolved" in the air, even before it reach its target ...

NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!