MOX in the 5x5

• Considering i would have 14 heat exchangers i think that would require an enormous amount of hoppers and cans and coolant fluids. However it is an interesting concept as there are more item conduits with dense mode than fluid pipes with dense mode. The speed of the canning machine would have to be about 1 can every 0,75 seconds in my case as my reactor produces almost 1400 Hu per second.

Correct me if im wrong since im inexperienced with hopper automation but that would require the first Liquid heat exchanger to be full before it puts cans into the next one right?How many cans can you put into a liquid heat exchangers? if they can take an entire stack that would mean i would need 64 cans of coolant for every heat exchanger, which is somewhat insane considering i have 14 of em.

Also, how would you cycle the empty cans back to the canning machine?

A question that sometimes drives me hazy; am i or are the other crazy

• Considering i would have 14 heat exchangers i think that would require an enormous amount of hoppers and cans and coolant fluids. However it is an interesting concept as there are more item conduits with dense mode than fluid pipes with dense mode. The speed of the canning machine would have to be about 1 can every 0,75 seconds in my case as my reactor produces almost 1400 Hu per second.

Correct me if im wrong since im inexperienced with hopper automation but that would require the first Liquid heat exchanger to be full before it puts cans into the next one right?How many cans can you put into a liquid heat exchangers? if they can take an entire stack that would mean i would need 64 cans of coolant for every heat exchanger, which is somewhat insane considering i have 14 of em.

Also, how would you cycle the empty cans back to the canning machine?

ejector upgrades and electronic sorting machines would push it back... maybe? will play with it tommorow when i have a chance.. and they do take a full stack of 64 and it would be best to use item buffers ( cheap with 1 ejector upgrade and requires no power) to move out of reactor room and then hopper system to overflow.. and yes it would take a few with 14 of them.. but its presumed you can stop the process and let them build till full stack ( IE just run water no pressure i believe? ) and you would need alot but they are CHEAP to make its the coolant itself thats expensive but not really ( if your building reactors you should have miners running all the time)

• Even with miners that an extreme amount you would need about 900 bucket of coolant for my setup. That would require an extraordinary amount of distilled water and a lot of lapis. Making it from water is out of the question (7200 lapis lol) but making 900 buckets of distilled water in excess of what the reactor needs for the steam turbines would be no easy task and it would still cost 900 lapis. And this is for just one reactor producing about 950 eu/tick. I usually want at least two reactors, one with mox and one with regular. I would be stuck boiling water with all my power for days :P

• Even with miners that an extreme amount you would need about 900 bucket of coolant for my setup. That would require an extraordinary amount of distilled water and a lot of lapis. Making it from water is out of the question (7200 lapis lol) but making 900 buckets of distilled water in excess of what the reactor needs for the steam turbines would be no easy task and it would still cost 900 lapis. And this is for just one reactor producing about 950 eu/tick. I usually want at least two reactors, one with mox and one with regular. I would be stuck boiling water with all my power for days :P

consider it as a thought experiment and play it out in a creative world? that way you can fix flaws easier?

• I apologize for "hijacking" this thread before and discussing alot of normal nuke designs.

I am curious does the 5x5 work for mox/high heat without mods at all?

or is it still the old style reactor design ?

• Sadly it does not work at all without other mods

The problem lies in that the heat production increases with reactor temperature. So its either a zero temperature mark 1 reactor (which is not really a mox design) or it is a mark 5+ reactor. From my knowledge you can't run mark 5 reactors with only ic2 exp.

The only way iv'e gotten it to work is using on/off regulation on the reactor with nuclear control and then it still only works with a very specific type of design.

The design that works is the indirect cooling design where the fuel rods does not connect to the cooling directly in any way. You instead pull heat from the reactor and make sure that all the heat that is pulled can be cooled off. you then cycle the reactor on and off while to make sure the reactor does not overheat while you let the cooling do its work.

In any of the direct cooling designs where heat is pulled from the fuel rods, as the reactor starts producing more heat, it will pull more than the components can handle untill either the reactor cools down or the components break.

From my knowledge im the only one so far that has posted working 5x5 mox designs as none of the old designs work to my knowledge. My reactor has run in survival for about 1½ cycles now which is about 15-20 hours in game time so its extremly stable. However the only gain from these types of reactor is that the efficiency is increased, the output is actually lower than regular reactors. my mox can output 750 eu/tick at the most at an efficiency of about 100. If i made a similar mox reactor of the same size it would produce something along the lines of 800-1200 eu/tick and this design would be easily automated with ic2 only and would not require a complicated steam setup. (non 5x5 designs)

As it is right now i would use the old style reactors as they produce a lot more power and it is A LOT cheaper, althought it is at a lot lower efficiency. However considering the only thing getting spent is uranium 238 im not really that concerned with efficiency in mox reactors.

Edited once, last by Blackpalt ().

• or maybe use the mox in a standard nuke mark 1 to make more plutonium i guess .. nothing benifitial then :/

• In any of the direct cooling designs where heat is pulled from the fuel rods, as the reactor starts producing more heat, it will pull more than the components can handle untill either the reactor cools down or the components break.

That happens without direct contact too if you are using overclocked heat vents ( which you should be ). The solution is plenty of heat exchangers. The advanced heat exchangers drop some of the excess heat back into the core... throw a core heat exchanger into the mix and it will keep the components from overheating. As long as you have a mod that can auto shut down the reactor when the core gets too hot, and back on when it cools off a bit, then you should be able to pull it off.

• Regular mox reactor designs as found in it's own thread (page 6) are way way superior to regular designs and produce 2-3 times more power usually so i think its a good idea to go with this. No reason not to use them as they are very easy to set up. if you are not using the plutonium for mox you might as well use it for RTG pellets.

advanced heat exchangers pull heat from the core and can be used if you need 8 more heat cooled in an awkward spot as in the corner surrounded by component heat vents. The real staple is the component heat exchangers, see this as an example.
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…pbcurq980tcmzfs7pujc8faps
    This design pulls exactly 1000 Hu/sec and actually work as a 5x5 mox reactor. It never varies in heat output so it can easily be used with superheated steam designs and the reactor plating makes it heat up slower. it still rises about 4-5% at a time when at around 60% heat with a maximum temperature of 32000 so i think having plenty of reactor plating is required for cycling mox designs or they would heat up so fast it cant be controlled even with nuclear control. The only additional mod this design needs is nuclear control, the rest can be done with ic2 exp

Advanced heat exchangers can also be used in a combination with overclocked heat vents and advanced vents for maximum cooling design. However these designs are not completly stable in cooling. They usually vary a bit in output but are stable in the long run. This is due to components needing a differential in temperature to be able to transfer heat so it cools of and heats up again in cycles. ive used this in a cycling mark 5 regular 5x5 reactor with a output of about 1350-1372 Hu/s
    http://prntscr.com/4qsdln
    This reactor is cycled between 10-30% heat however it would work for non cyclic designs as well, just reduce the amount of fuel rods so that it cools more than it produces. This would probably work fine
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…7wzoxh4j1n6slbt3ekq8ilce8

Basically the components you can use with mox 5x5 is overclocked heat vents with 4 component heat exchangers, and in the places where you cant surrounder the overclocked heat vents you either go with heat exchangers for 4 cooling, advanced heat exchangers for 8 cooling or reactor heat vents for 12 cooling or the overclocked heat vent, advanced heat vent and exchanger combo. They are actually quite easy to make as the only thing you are varying is the components at the edge of the design.

• Regular heat vents and reactor heat vents are kind of crappy; I stick to the overclocked + advanced heat exchanger combo. Not sure if the component heat exchangers might be better in some situations... normally the advanced provide enough side transfer plus the core transfer is nice. I guess if you need more side transfer you could use the component heat exchangers but would need to rely more on reactor heat exchangers to dump the extra heat back to the core.