How do I use the miner?/Problems with the miner

• I apologize in advance if this is not the proper place for this.
    I am very new to IndustrialCraft. I am using the latest version of Feed the Beast: Unleashed, though I'm not sure which version of IndustrialCraft that is.
    Anyway, I'm not good at any of this stuff; I don't understand much about power past the basic generator. I've been trying to use the Miner, but every time I do it doesn't seem to work properly. The lightning-bolt power thing fills up about 1/6 of the way, then drains, then continues to do that, rather than filling up all the way. The miner rapidly drains whatever power source is connected, and moves extremely slowly. Like it mines one block every 30 seconds to a minute. I figure since I am so new to this that it's operator error, not a bug, but I've been googling a lot and haven't found anyone with the same problem. I even tried this tutorial exactly but rather than the batbox filling up over time, the miner drains it almost immediately and the miner moves much slower than his does. Does anyone know what might be the problem?
    Thanks in advance!

• I installed the mod to test it.

You are low on power, imho.
    Try the following: Go to the "Config" directory ( FTB/Minecraft/Config...), open IC2.cfg , edit the line

B:enableMinerLapotron=false -> B:enableMinerLapotron=true

save the file, restart the game
    make you a shiny Lapotron crystal with NEI, put it in the miner and watch how FAST it uses your 1.000.000 EU up.

I cant imagine how long a battery will last.

This version is pretty old, get the "Technic mod launcher and try the mod " Industrial Age the Turning"
    It uses a newer version of IC2, you have now another (much better) miner !!!

T.