I want to know EVERYTHING about heat energy + bugs

• I want to know EVERYTHING about steam power. I readed all wiki and saw good guides, but it still not enough.

So this one what I investigate by myself:

1. Its broken as f*** and need to be totaly rewrited.

When I made a tests, I discovered a few bugs. The tests was on the 4.27 v. of FTB Unstable. I got a problem that the steam generation was toggling every time for steam/distilled water. I had a steam boiler, provided 200 HU from lava heat exchangers, that was facing in write direction, with 10 heat things in them. The pressure was 0, the water input was 1 mb/t. I made a video, but unlikely without sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTXANJgO7Wo

When u using 1 steam boiler with input 3 mb/tick of water there is no explosions on turbine.(I can use 3 mb per tick cause I heat up boiler using pressure before, so it running on decreasing of temp.) but if u use 2 sets of boilers 2 mb/tick one and 1 mb/tick its blowing...

2. One lava bucket in geothermal generator generate 10 kEU at 20 eu/tick. => gen time 500 ticks(20 sec)

1 lava bucket using stirling generator in combo with liquid heat exchangers generating 10k EU (20 kHU and the speed of generation depend on amount of heat conductors). So the min. 10 EU/tick, max 50 EU/tick
    So the reason how I understand to increase eu/tick generation from lava and not doing boiler setup. Or with fluid heat generator or radioisotope, cause they produsing less than 100 HU(the amount to keep boiler run without toggling)
    And yes, how to understand this: "Each milliBucket of fluid is worth 200 * [number of Heat Conductors] hU" http://wiki.industrial-craft.n…tle=Liquid_Heat_Exchanger
    I used 2 heat conductors and get 10 k EU at 10 eu/tick and used 10 and get the same 10 k EU but in 5 times faster. It's desinformation!!!

To heat up boiler at 10' C more u need 1 bucket. The temperature of boiler depend on biome, not depend on day time and weather. To heat up boiler if u are in winter biome u need 10 buckets of lava, which are 100 k of theoretical EU. To heat boiler to 220' C (overheated steam) from Zero - 220 k EU.
    I'm saying lava, but it also can be a hot coolant from reactor btw. They are identical, the only difference that pahopae lava is trash, but cold coolant can be reused.

So theoreticly we will get 20 buckets of steam from 1 bucket of lava. "If normal Steam is being produced, every 100mb/t of Steam also requires 100hU in order to maintain the heating required" Now I created a system with 1 heat exchanger with 11 cans of lava. 10 should be used to heat up boiler, and 1 can(bucket) should make me steam to check. And its true - 1 bucket of lava - 20 k HU - 20 buckets of steam. And i alow found another bug:
    https://youtu.be/y8J_psZJfjA

So we know how many energy we gain from 1 lava bucket in geothermal, in stirling gen. Lets find out how many energy we will gain from 20 buckets of steam. I made 1 turbine and right click with steam in fluid cell with explosions. It give to me 485 Eu. Then I placed condenser, and it give to me the same value, but without explosions. Then I taked fluid conduit from EnderIO with lowest transfer (50 mb/tick) rate and a tank. Explosions and 475 eu. With condenser the same value but no explosions. I decided to figure out is there is some "spining" like if i place more bucket I will gain more EU. And it seems that there is not. I transported 3 bucket of steam to the turbine with condenser using 50 mb/tick conduits and somehow there was explosion which make steam waste. HOW??

Anyway it seems that 495 EU from 1 bucket of steam without bugs. 495*20=9900 from 1 bucket..... OMG ITS EVEN LESSER THEN WE COULD HAVE FROM GEOTERMAL GENERAToR, but we also waste energy to heat this sh***............

But w8... There is also overheated steam lets back to math. "....as it takes 200 hU per 100 mb/t .....", - so 10 buckets overheated steam from 1 lava bucket. Wiki say that overheated steam give u a twise energy of the regular steam + it makes regular steam too. So u get 990*10=9900 EU from overheated steam + 4450 from regular steam. AT LAST. WE HAVE PROFIT... But wait... What did we do to get that profit:
    - craft a bunch of machines
    - waste 221'000 of potential EU
    - waste time

Conclusion: Lava setup for steam is usless sh**. This only works for fluid reactor with cooolant.

End words: When I played Infinity skyblock i understand that there are in modded minecraft little amount of good and intresting power generators. Like reactor, like biofuel from Immersive... They are like oil from buildcraft or solars from enviromental tech.

Sorry for my russian syka language. It is bad as steam generators. Gl o/

• Official Post

1. Its broken as f*** and need to be totaly rewrited.

It might well need rewriting to use more logical mechanics (and maybe some more user feedback) but it is far from broken.

When I made a tests, I discovered a few bugs. The tests was on the 4.27 v. of FTB Unstable. I got a problem that the steam generation was toggling every time for steam/distilled water. I had a steam boiler, provided 200 HU from lava heat exchangers, that was facing in write direction, with 10 heat things in them. The pressure was 0, the water input was 1 mb/t. I made a video, but unlikely without sound.

The issue there is that you're giving it twice as much heat as it needs. Doing so causes it to warn to 100.1 C (which is when it outputs steam), and then it doesn't take any heat in the next tick thus cooling back down to 100 C (which is when it outputs distilled water). The switching is it taking in 2x as much heat it needs every other tick rather than the exact amount every tick, but the output shouldn't switch like that if it's still at steam producing temperature, so it probably is a bug.

And yes, how to understand this: "Each milliBucket of fluid is worth 200 * [number of Heat Conductors] hU" http://wiki.industrial-craft.n…tle=Liquid_Heat_Exchanger
    I used 2 heat conductors and get 10 k EU at 10 eu/tick and used 10 and get the same 10 k EU but in 5 times faster. It's desinformation!!!

It's a wiki, that is the results that a person has found from doing it that they are sharing. It might be wrong, but I strongly doubt that is deliberate.

The temperature of boiler depend on biome, not depend on day time and weather.

Correct, the heat up time is connected to it too.

They are identical, the only difference that pahopae lava is trash, but cold coolant can be reused.

Pahoehoe lava can be cooled into basalt, which is a sort of nice building block. Lava also has to be constantly pumped from somewhere whilst coolant is made a single time (you'd hope) from lapis.

I transported 3 bucket of steam to the turbine with condenser using 50 mb/tick conduits and somehow there was explosion which make steam waste. HOW??

The turbine explosions come from a turbine with steam in not having a condenser touching it. Even if you had 1 million mb/t conduits connecting them together it would still have explosions, because turbines need condensers to be touching them.

Anyway it seems that 495 EU from 1 bucket of steam without bugs. 495*20=9900 from 1 bucket..... OMG ITS EVEN LESSER THEN WE COULD HAVE FROM GEOTERMAL GENERAToR, but we also waste energy to heat this sh***............

That's what you get from converting energy multiple times (this is true for real life too). In the geothermal generator you're going Lava -> EU, with a boiler you're going from Lava -> HU -> Steam -> KU -> EU. Each one of those arrows is going to lose energy, so having a lot of them is not going to be the most efficient method. Although to be fair HU and KU do need some more work balancing as steam especially has very little point considering unless you've got no more iron there's no down sides to going straight to superheated.

What did we do to get that profit:
    - craft a bunch of machines
    - waste 221'000 of potential EU
    - waste time

The same applies if you make a nuclear reactor, think of all the time and EU spent getting uranium into reactor cells! You could spam tier 1 generators without having to do anything complicated, but there is little fun in doing that. It's also going to take a lot more space to do that, so there are other benefits to going to the more expensive higher tier generators.

Conclusion: Lava setup for steam is usless sh**. This only works for fluid reactor with cooolant.

It works best for a fluid reactor probably as they were designed together. The fact lava works at all is just to make early game easier if a heat demanding machine was ever added, powering a steam boiler with it was never designed to be an efficient decision.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Official Post

I had that. There is video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFAh_4GLaeA&feature=youtu.be . Accidentally again without sound.... But u will see the bug...

That'll come from the condenser being unable to accept all the steam the turbine's giving out, but that could be a rounding bug that's preventing it from fully outputting it all. I'm working on making the whole steam system simpler anyway.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.