New reactor planner (made by Talonius)

• Heh, it's not complete yet and the 'saved url' code is still subject to change. So be wary about posting your designs via the applet, atleast until the code is a bit more settled. ;P

I only made this 'little' project to teach myself the workings of Java GUI design, it turned out to be much more time consuming than expected.

• I like it a lot but there seems to be a small bug where it doesn't want to update when you place something.

In the attached screen I just placed the lower u-cell after the upper one and as you can see it calculates the output correctly but not the affected neighbors. Changing these unaffected ones also doesn't update, it act's like the lower one is not present at all, except for the energy calculation and maybe the lifetime.

PS: no that's not a finished design :P

oh and maybe you could display heat in a gradient from the default grey towards full red depending on how close that part is towards melting? It's already nice that you can see which parts will melt but it would be nicer if you could also see how close some are to melting.
    Just mentioning cause I had a 'safe' design that ends up a sneeze away from melting most parts ^^;

• I guess a few fields arn't being reset between reactor simulations, I'll hunt them down... as soon as other tasks permit the time for me to do so. Thank you :P

I did plan on adding some sort of 'health bar' overlay on the cells, if possible.

• Well, the planner has moved due to the URL save code changing, from this point on the saves should be backwards compatible.

That bug graphics bug with isotopes has been squished and 'damage bars' have been added.

The old location will still be active for a while to keep links from breaking.

Reactor Planner

Edit: Also, checkboxes added in the SUC options for you manics out there with machines chugging out multiple blocks/buckets per second. ;)

• Thanks for creating this simulator, I have found it very useful when I am on a windows system.

Sorry to bug you but I have found a UI bug that shows up on a mac. The text between the + and - for setting chambers, water, and air does not show up. I think it is because of the buttons in the Mac Look and Feel.

I have attached a screen shot showing the bug.

My Specs:

I think if you are using Swing for the UI you could solve this problem by setting the look and feel to CrossPlatformLookAndFeel by integrating the code below into your code:

Also this Applet is the best reactor simulator I have seen so far so keep up the good work and thanks for creating this tool. :thumbup:

• ChrisWsrn: Thanks, I'll see what I can do to make it appear better on other platforms.

Scoin86: I have IC2's Reactor code running 'under the hud', the simulator will run through 10,000 ticks (or until the reactor goes critical). Afterwards it will simulate a cooldown period from a point just before a reactor melts a component or goes critical.

While the simulator at it's core should be 99% acurate, my data gathering code may be slightly off, so if you find something that doesn't look right then show it to me and I'll check if it's a bug.

• Quick Question:

How are you calculating the reactor timing? I am
    asking this because this tools timing takes the reactor to literally
    0.1% from meltdown (good but a little scary) and I would like to time
    the reactor for its application. (I usually like to use 8000 as my max temp for most application but I sometimes need to go to 10000 or to the reactor max.)

• Quick Question:

How are you calculating the reactor timing? I am
    asking this because this tools timing takes the reactor to literally
    0.1% from meltdown (good but a little scary) and I would like to time
    the reactor for its application. (I usually like to use 8000 as my max temp for most application but I sometimes need to go to 10000 or to the reactor max.)

The generation timer stops at the point a component melts or the point when the reactor hull reaches 85% maximum heat. The maximum cycles listed also follows this critieria.

It's not recomended you run a reactor all the way upto the 'Generation Time', instead use it as a guide. If you only run a reactor upto 50% of it's predicted 'Generation Time' then you'll only need 50% of the 'Cooldown Time'.

Edit: Note, a reactor goes BOOM at 100% hull heat, at 85% is starts producing lava.