A list of good reactor designs (IC² v1.103 and earlier)

• Wow did not see that. The reactor has a slightly lower supercharged run time but it doesnt matter (due to it being a E class).

Edit: After examining the Mk: 5 section of the list I will come to share my design
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…=1k10101001501521s1r11r10
    replace the (Edit: inner)coolent with isotope or vise versa to modify the stats. It remains (relitivley) stable.

"A modern tank can speed at 60 mph while shooting a target with pinpoint accuracy from 5 miles away." Civ-5

• Finally,a 120 output reactor,that takes +2 uranium,but takes less HD (like 2) and has an effective eu/t ~105 and 24 mins cooldown
    THE BEST!!1 :D
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…=1k10101001501521s1r11r10

Updated first post since stuff like this is happening too often. If you wanna know what changed read first post (everyone should do that). We dont need 5 designs a day that are worse than the reactors in the list. It happens too much that i have to write 'that reactor is beated by this one which is already in the list'. I would be happier with 1 design per week that beats a design in the list.

On a side note what about combining the mk3, mk4 and mk5 part of the first post? I mean they all require cooldown midcycle and there arent many mk3+ designs (mk3 is empty..). There is almost no difference between them since you would redstone them anyway.

• I know that but from a practical perspective you would redstone them anyway (mk3, mk4 and mk5 that is). The only difference would be the timing. Since we dont have many designs of that type i guess merging them into 'reactors that require cooldown midcycle' would be better. Thats what i was thinking about it feels unecesary to sort them to mk3, 4 and 5.

• You could catorgise them into 2 subcatagories...

Components Melt
    Components Dont melt

That way it would be easier for people to find what they want.

"A modern tank can speed at 60 mph while shooting a target with pinpoint accuracy from 5 miles away." Civ-5

• Thats all related to timing. Ppl can choose for themselves if they want a timing that melts stuff. The reactor planner even shows what component is gonna melt and when. You can redstone a mk5 to melt components or not same with mk4 and mk3. So instead of having 3 categories i will just combine them into 1 and list the timing needed for each reactors since thats the factor that decides whether or not your components melt or not.

Gotta sleep now its getting late and i have to get up early because of my intership :).

• How big do i have to make those red letters on the first post?

• Id like to point out that the reactor at the top of this page that i posted is better in most (not sure why effective EU is so low) ways of the current Mk 5's

• Id like to point out that the reactor at the top of this page that i posted is better in most (not sure why effective EU is so low) ways of the current Mk 5's

Your effective EU is so low because your reactor produces extreme amounts of heat and is not able to cool properly, since there are very few coolant cell inside. If you increase number of coolant cells and mess with placement a little, you will get much better results.
    Example: http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…=1k10101001501521s1r11r10 (after about one minute)

Your effective eu is low because it can only run for a short time and has to cooldown for a long time after that. When a reactor produces only 9.42 eu/tick average its way better to make solars. Because its cheaper and they run forever and they are safe. Reactors with just tons of uranium in them do not produce tons of eu you need more to make good designs.

Also your reactor only beated the other reactors in the list by having more efficiency but that more efficiency comes from the depleted uranium cells thus if you would run my 4.1 eff mk5 with a breeder it would actualy more efficient....Without the depleted cells its only 4 efficiency.

The reason why my design (http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…1k101010037ps011111101110) makes way more eu average, more eu active and got better efficiency is that the heat is distributed way better. Instead of only running for 1 min like your reactor it runs almost 4 mins before needing cooldown. In the end the average eu/tick is 58,30 eu/tick and the efficiency is 4.1 (without using any depleted cells).

• Your effective EU is so low because your reactor produces extreme amounts of heat and is not able to cool properly, since there are very few coolant cell inside. If you increase number of coolant cells and mess with placement a little, you will get much better results.
    Example: http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…=1k10101001501521s1r11r10 (after about one minute)

So long cooldown = low EU...nice to know. Also I perfer designs that dont melt objects in the chamber.

Your effective eu is low because it can only run for a short time and has to cooldown for a long time after that. When a reactor produces only 9.42 eu/tick average its way better to make solars. Because its cheaper and they run forever and they are safe. Reactors with just tons of uranium in them do not produce tons of eu you need more to make good designs.

Also your reactor only beated the other reactors in the list by having more efficiency but that more efficiency comes from the depleted uranium cells thus if you would run my 4.1 eff mk5 with a breeder it would actualy more efficient....Without the depleted cells its only 4 efficiency.

Thanks for the explination.

• The way Efficiency is measured for energy makes sense to me. The way efficiency is measured for breeding does not. Energy efficiency is Energy (pulses) generated / Uranium. Breeding efficiency is currently measured as (energy + breeding pulses) / Uranium. What this measurement is supposed to describe, I am unsure, it makes no sense to me.

There are 2 other measures that make sense to me
    Enrichment Efficiency is Pulses recieved by isotopes / # of isotopes. This measure is how effecient the isotopes are at becoming re-enriched, note that it can exceed 5 (max 20) when isotopes are adjacent to multiple Urianium... which makes sense as that isotope is being bred more efficiently. Scoring high on this is hard, but it is a good measure to compare how adding isotopes to a power config compares with a typical breeder config. Typical 1 U / 4 I configs score 5 /20

Breeding efficiency, in my mind, should be measured as Pulses recieved by isotopes / # of uranium. That would measure how efficiently the uranium was being spent on re-enrichment, but again that would cap at 20, not 5. 1 U surrounded with 4 Isotopes scores 20/20. 2U contiguous surrounded by 6 isotopes scores 15/20, which makes sense as you have traded some of the uranium's interaction for better energy efficiency. This allows a relationship between energy and breeding efficiency where when one goes up, the other goes down, which is the way it actually works.

This is a 70eu/t 2.33 energy efficient Mk II 52.05 effective eu/t ... that runs on isotopes. Breeder efficiency 5, enrichment efficiency 5. It breeds its own fuel with the right preheat. The wrong preheat makes it a mark IV... and if you leave a mark IV alone, it can boom. Instructions on preheat to come.http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…2=1k101010114110101001013
    edit: Preheat instructions. 5k heat average is safe, as from a cold start it goes 2.15 cycles, it generates less than 5k/ part. So we are aiming for a preheat of 5k, with a little less being ok, and a little more not so ok. 47 parts + 1 hull is heat distributed to 48 parts, aiming at 5k heat each. Thats 240000 total heat, you can forget about lava buckets (4.8million energy opportunity cost) to get there. If we had 24 parts at 9999 heat and 24 parts at 0 heat, the dispensers would even that out to 5k heat each part during operation... time for a 23 minute game of crazy ivan! Crazy Ivan config is shown below. Its designed to heat up cooling cells while leaving hull temp stable (constant). It does require both changing the environment, and hull preheat of 5 lava buckets, and constant monitoring. Constant monitoring is encourged in any breeder preheat config. Preheat the hull to get decent breeding while playing crazy ivan, and I am counting that as 1 part heated when we switch configs. Heat up 23 cooling cells and store them in your inventory and/or nearby chest, not the reactor where they would cool. When the last red dot disappears from the cooling cell's heat meter, it is at 9375 heat. so pull it right after that. When you have 23 hotties stored, restore the external cooling environment and load up the config shown above. When it's finished, you'll have 3 re-enriched cells, and no danger of explosion, perfect for starting it up and not worrying about coming back until after it is done, mark II style. If you don't want to redo the heating up part, wait the exact cooldown period and refuel it. If you don't wait the full cooldown, it will overheat (obvious, right?). If you allow it to cool down too much, then the isotopes will not fully charge the next cycle.

70 eu/t Mk II 2.33 energy efficient Mk II 40.73 effective eu/t that runs on isotopes. Breeder efficiency 6, enrichment efficiency 6. It breeds it's own fuel if you check in at the right time. Lower effective eu/t and a bit of babysitting is the trade off for cold start safety.
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…e=1l101010114110101001010

40 eu/t Mk V HC Breeder that runs at 10k+ heat. 1 energy efficiency, 4.8/20 enrichment efficiency, 12/20 breeding efficiency "Crazy Ivan's Hot Potato." As a Mk V, this is a manned configuration. This is also meant to be an entertaining game you can use to preheat a breeder's cooling cells. Pay attention to the external cooling. This is a Hull Constant design. The sim is more accurate set to 0 starting heat, each cell gets pounded with 160 heat/s and lasts 60 seconds. Right before it pops, put a fresh one in the spot diagonal and pull the hot one out and into your inventory to store it. This is safer than you would think. If you screw up, the plating soaks heat for 4 minutes before the hull temps will change and it becomes dangerous, so missing by a second or 2 ain't no thang. Leaving this alone for 5 minutes means boom, so don't do that. This is the most efficient way to heat cooling cells somewhat safely.
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…y=1l101010114010101001019

Thanks for Giving drill access to miners!