Reducing the energy output of the different energy production methods in IC2...

• I am trying to make energy much harder to come by, and so am reducing the energy output of things like solars, wind generators, and water generators.

I've already edited the config file like this:

Code
    energyGeneratorSolar=10

to make Solars only give 10% of their regular output, which seems to work just fine. Instead of giving 1EU/t, they give 0.1EU/t, or 2EU per second.

However, when I try changing the wind or water generators like this:

Code
    energyGeneratorWater=10
    energyGeneratorWind=10

(Instead of 100), they seem to output 0 energy. I did some testing, and it seemed like I could get water generators to put some energy out when set to 70 or so, but lower than that, nothing, even when I put in a bucket of water (As compared to the passive water energy generation). I waited for the bucket of water to be fully processed with a battery in the water mill, and at the end it was still empty.

Is this some kind of rounding error, and is there a way I can still use these generators, but with a lowered output, like the solars? Right now I'm just not using them at all, but I'd like to have the option to use them, just not with so much energy produced, like I've done with the solars.

I'm using v1.95b, but noticed the same issue on the last version I used, v1.43b. This is on a bukkit server, if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any help you can give!

• Whilst I've never bothered with tweaking EU outputs, I do have a theory as to your dilemma... and it has to do with the fractional EU output of water and wind (particularly when 'unmanned') combined with the EU loss inherent in cabling.

Although the exact definition of 'manned' vs 'unmanned' in relation to IC eludes me at present, I can only assume that the player has to be occupying the same chunk as the generator...

And in theory an EC Meter should be able to tell you if there's any current flowing at all through a particular cable section; perhaps test each piece from the generators down the line, to see if it's a case of insufficient EU output to overcome cable resistance.

As I said, a theory...

"Why is that unhappy green pe*is running towards you?" - Minecraft first impressions live long.

• Manned vs unmanned are the two ways you can get energy from the water mills. Unmanned is just them sitting in the water, slowly and passively generating EUs. Manned is actively putting a bucket of water (or a cell, I think) into it, to generate 1000EUs per bucket. Faster, but you have to "man" the generator, staying there to keep putting water in (Or automate it, of course).

Anyway, I also wondered if, like you said, it might be a fractional EU/cable resistance thing, though I did try to prevent that with the generators right next to a batbox, if I recall correctly. I didn't think to try the EU meter, though, so that's a good next step. Thanks!

• I don't think this is a rounding issue, because I'm finding that anything less than a value of 100 results in zero production.

Yeah, that's what I was encountering. That implies that the configurability of those generators is either broken or unimplemented, since otherwise you could just have a True/False setting for enabling them or disabling them. Have the developers said anything about this?