Decentralized Distribution of Steam (DDoS)

• bear in mind that even if you have enough cooling towers to hold all of the microcycles, adding more cooling towers will still increase your effective eu/t as you can run the reactor more often, up until th epoint that you can run it constantly. In my current game I am building a setupp with four single chamber, 8 quad uranium celled reactors, with 64 cooling towers. It is certainly a large build.

Quasi-true, depending on the setup.

The 'optimal' or maximum amount of cooling towers useful to you would be dividing your cooling cycle time and dividing it by your micro-cycle time. You'd probably want to round up from there.

For this setup, your micro-cycle time would be approximately 175 seconds, with a cooldown time of approximately 5k seconds (if we are being conservative and only taking into consideration the 12 cooling per cell ones on the edges rather than the 16/cell) for around 10 towers total (it calculates out to around 27-29 micro-cycles per cooling cycle, and each tower can handle three such micro-cycles).

Therefore, for four of them, you'd only need 40 at most. 64 is overcooling by over 50%. You could put another two generating reactors in there easily, possibly a third, depending on how the fractions work out with the internal cell slots.

• how do you handle the split second where the cooling cell isn't in the reactor, or will that not matter as long as its less than 1 second?

• All true.however, in my case, my cooling tower design is not the one in the op, it is my own custom 2 chamber design. because I like to have a wall of reactors. With this design, the cooling towers are almost always working.

• All true.however, in my case, my cooling tower design is not the one in the op, it is my own custom 2 chamber design. because I like to have a wall of reactors. With this design, the cooling towers are almost always working.

Care to share with the class? I am not seeing how it could work in a two-chamber reactor. What kind of EU/t are you getting out of it?

• This Is the cooling tower design I am using. I wanted to design something that took advantage of my gold supplies and used 2 reactor chambers. The generator reactors are the same 8 cell, 4 reflector, 1 chamber design in the OP. I use a state cell set to 1020 sec to pulse a filter 8 times, and I have a relay adjacent to the reactor that is always full of coolant cells, or else the reactor cannot run. It goes to a series of pneumatic tubes on top of my coolant wall. I also have a relay in-line in case there the timing is slightly out of sync. those cooling towers have sorting machines that pull out the cells as soon as they are fully cooled, feeding them directly into relays, that lead back to the reactor-relay. I get 4800 eu/t per generator with eu output set to 5x normal.

• you got a bottleneck issue regarding your heat transfer.

1 advanced Heat ex will only pass 36 heat to the vents.
    effectivly cap the maximum cooling of your tower to 44 per cooling cell.

her is one with 60 per cooling cell. (one Chamber less)
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…5p3vhhymf8h05h8ch7xpyccg0

Change the scheme, alter the mood. Electrify the boys and girls if you'd be so kind.

[b][i][u][url=' [url='http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=7745']HAYO CORP: Nuclear Power (FREE: Reactor Blueprints)

• Very interesting. I knew about the bottleneck, but I did not know there was a better way to do it. I shall have to modify my design.

EDIT: how about this? I calculate it should get 84 cooling per cell, but I believe there may be a bottleneck at 3,5 as the adjacent vents cannot cool the full 36 heat, leading to a cooling of 82.

• theoretical maximum off 72,
    but as they share 4 OC vents,
    only 54 for the vents, and 8 for the component vents.
    so 62

the upper hafl of the designs is actualy better
    it does 72 cooling. for the vents and 8 cooling for the componets.
    and its okay that the Vents are touching, it will only distriubte the heat better.

80 isnt a bad cooling for a 2 chamber cooler

here i changed it so every cell gets 80 cooling

Change the scheme, alter the mood. Electrify the boys and girls if you'd be so kind.

[b][i][u][url=' [url='http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=7745']HAYO CORP: Nuclear Power (FREE: Reactor Blueprints)

Edited once, last by skavier470 ().

• That makes sense. I guess that's what I get for designing a reactor without any sleep. Unfortunately, that means I have to redesign my reactor building, because I need that extra cooling. :( I'm experimenting with designs with different numbers of cooling cells, but I haven't had much luck.

• That's an interesting design, but there's a kind of a hitch here...

Your cooling tower only holds FOUR cells. Sure, it's cooling 60 per cell, but you'll actually need two cooling towers per micro-cycle!

By way of contrast, my cooling tower cools 12-16 per cell, but it holds SIX times as many cells, meaning one tower is good for three micro-cycles.

So let's do some math:

80 cooling per cell means a cooling cycle time of a mere 12.5 minutes for a regular 60k Cooling Cell. However, you'll need two towers per micro-cycle.

With the standard reactor setup as previously mentioned, you've got about a 3 minute micro-cycle. Which means you'll need 4*2=8 plus probably at least two more just to keep up with the fractions, since you don't want everything to blow up. In other words, you're going to end up with just as many cooling towers

Having said that, you're going to end up using fewer cells due to your higher cooling per cell, which will constitute a massive savings in tin, even though you'll be going through stacks of gold instead.

Is it possible to 'double up' your design so you can hold eight coolant cells?

• yes but again as they share the OC vents the cooling per cell wil go further down.
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…l5no8v83d3kqduvbdefq7gcu8

So that one has... what, 60 cooling per cell, if I'm looking at it right?

Okay, so with a typical 60k cell, you're looking at precisely 1k seconds for a cooldown cycle. With a micro-cycle time of 175 seconds, you're looking at probably 5-6 cooling towers necessary.

Now where this gets really fun is when we start playing with GregTech components...

With Thorium cells, you're looking at needing only two cooling towers, since you are looking at about a 700 second micro-cycle time. Granted, only 192 EU/t, but you're looking at a grand total of 192 million EU out of the reactor in a full cycle.

The Plutonium reactor, however, only needs 13 of these cooling towers to be able to hit the 'continuously running' without need for cooldown between cycles. But at 1920 EU/t, this is a fair tradeoff.

The 360k cooling cells would have a 100 minute cool cycle. This means 6 cooling towers for the Uranium cells, as each cycle is just over 1,000 seconds. You'd still need 2 for the Thorium reactor, since you're looking at a 4,000 second micro-cycle and a 6,000 cooling cycle. And the Plutonium one would still need 13. So you wouldn't be saving any towers, but you would be cutting down the number of micro-cycles per total cycle.

• My setup uses 35 cooling towers for every 4 generating reactors. I have only just begun to build the system, but I eventually hope to have 70 cooling towers and 8 generating reactors. With output set to 5 times normal, The output rivals a fusion reactor, and I get to line my walls with reactors, which is an added bonus.

Also, I have been thinking, would it be better to use heat vents or heat exchangers instead of coolant cells? The microcycle time would have to be much shorter, and you would need lots of extra components, but theoretically, the cooling would be higher. The resource cost for all the extra components might make this impractical, however.

• My setup uses 35 cooling towers for every 4 generating reactors. I have only just begun to build the system, but I eventually hope to have 70 cooling towers and 8 generating reactors. With output set to 5 times normal, The output rivals a fusion reactor, and I get to line my walls with reactors, which is an added bonus.

That actually sounds pretty awesome!

Also, I have been thinking, would it be better to use heat vents or heat exchangers instead of coolant cells? The microcycle time would have to be much shorter, and you would need lots of extra components, but theoretically, the cooling would be higher. The resource cost for all the extra components might make this impractical, however.

Heat vents wouldn't be able to keep up with heat generation. With 8 quad-uranium cells and the reflectors, you're looking at 2688 heat per second. If you are talking about replacing the 60 cooling cells with vents, that's not going to work either. First off, the cooling cells take up all the heat given to them, the heat vents can handle... what... 35? Not practical.

Because the cooling cells take up the heat, there is no core temperature rise, so none of the usual methods of transferring heat from the core to the components won't work, because it isn't generating any.

If you are talking about something like this, you're spending over a stack of gold to be able to buy yourself twenty seconds on your micro-cycle time. Mind you, this does bring up the micro-cycle time to precisely 200 seconds, meaning you'll need exactly 5 cooling towers, so you do end up saving yourself a cooling tower, meaning it might actually be worth the cost.

Now, this does work better on a Thorium reactor, micro-cycle times jumps from almost 12 minutes to 20 minutes and change. This means that you'd only need a single cooling tower to run with it. Of course, the Thorium reactor is a mere 192 EU/t, which doesn't really make all the hassles really worth it, since you can get the same kind of energy output from a battery of 10 geothermal generators (less if you use Gregtech's Thermal Generators).

It would have almost no effect on a Plutonium reactor. It would add a whole 4 seconds to your micro-cycle time.

• I was suggesting placing the heat vents directly next to the uranium cells, so they absorb all of the heat instead of having cooling cells at all.The heat vents would be the thing exchanged among the reactors. The idea being that it would allow for greater cooling density in a cooling tower design. You would basically not need any components, just stick the vents in there and let them cool themselves. The microcycle time would have to be severely reduced, probably to only a few seconds, but it may actually be more efficient due to not requiring other components in the cooling towers.

It would be something along the lines of this the microcycle time would be very short, only about 3 seconds but if you could make the exchange smooth enough, theoretically it would work. t also has the bonus effect of absorbing small amounts of the hull heat in case some accidentally leaks in, since you probably would have to swap the vents while the reactor is running.

EDIT: I whipped up a quick Proof of Concept Here. It changes out each vent every second and puts it into a regular, no chamber reactor. It seems to be working so far. I haven't done any math on cost-effectiveness or number of cooling towers needed yet.

• I believe that small amounts of heat in the hull would be more dangerous than normal in that build, since the heat vents would absorb an extra 36/second on top of what the uranium feeds them, shortening the micro-cycle even farther and potentially resulting in the timing of adding vents back in being off.

• Nope. This setup exchanges every heat vent every second. there is plenty of room for a bit of extra heat. There are no real microcyles, as the reactor is running constantly. with the 4 relays and 4 sorting machines everything is perfectly in synch, and there is no hull heat build up at all (provided there are enough heat vents in the system. getting the right amount of heat vents to keep the system running smoothly is a bit tricky if you want to use your resources optimally.) the whole setup is very safe. you can use a buildcraft gate set to only trigger if the inventory is full, so that the reactor will never pulse unless the vents are in place.

• flickering is not necessary. There is no chance of hull heat being generated. trying to do so would make the reactor produce very little effective eu/t since the microcyle time is only 2 seconds. If you are using a plutonium reactor, then swapping them out every second is necessary.

I will probably put out a thread of my own a bit later with my findings so far.