Upgrade Shift-Click Support

• As it is now, shift clicking upgrades with an IC2 machine open such as the Electric Furnace places the items into the smelting slot. Could I recommend a change to the transferStackInSlot method to check if the item is an upgrade, and change the slot index accordingly?

• I see this as just a convenience fix... Is it really that hard to click on the upgrade, and then click on the upgrade slot?

But it's an okay suggestion.

• There's a big culture of "NO" surrounding IC2 suggestions. I can't remember the last time a suggestion was used, implemented, or even considered. That is obviously because IC2 is perfect, and needs exactly zero improvements!

I don't think your idea is objectively bad, JackSprat. In fact, I think it is objectively good: helpful, convenient, easy to implement. It's just that the IC2 community has no need or no desire to listen to your ideas. As I said, IC2 is already perfect.

Here's a suggestion: Let's rename the "SUGGESTIONS" forum to something else, say, "BRAINSTORMING", since suggestions are accepted by community or dev approximately never, defeating the entire purpose of a place to put forth suggestions. As it exists now, the forum is a place for OP to post a random idea, and for all the forum regulars to gather around and shoot it down. Kinda like a town-square stoning from back in the good old days! The trouble is, that kind of hostile environment is generally stagnant and unproductive. Let's not build any strawmen here - I'm not saying bad ideas should be coddled by the community. I'm saying that the community, when it sees a bad idea, should brainstorm over it and attempt to convert it into a good idea, instead of just screaming NO. In short - let us, as a community, change it from a place where bad ideas are shot down and forgotten into a place where bad ideas are considered, rehashed, and converted into a good idea.

But I suppose that would require a forum culture change as well, so forget it. HAYO!

• I would say: It's not a bad Idea, but it's not useful ... Shift-clicking is supposed to makes you spend less time placing items ... do you really spend hours placing upgrades ? I guess not. So it's not bad, but I don't see the interest of it.

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• There's a big culture of "NO" surrounding IC2 suggestions. I can't remember the last time a suggestion was used, implemented, or even considered. That is obviously because IC2 is perfect, and needs exactly zero improvements!

I don't see anyone saying "NO" to this suggestion, the only statement made was "it doesn't really do anything other than add a little convenience", which is true. I also think it would be a good idea, since convenience is a good thing. It's also really easy to implement, since it's just an extension of existing shift-click functionality (I've implemented something like this, I know how it's done).

Now as for the "culture of NO" in general, a lot of the suggestions I see made are either not well thought out, or they don't really fit, and considering how often some of them are repeated, I see why the regulars around here would get a little tired of saying "already suggested and denied" or words to that effect. I haven't really seen one good machine idea in ages (here's one: electric liquid transposer. Because only Forestry and Thermal Expansion have them so far). I haven't seen any good crop ideas or booze ideas (although I have to admit I'd just ignore them anyway, since I don't really play with those parts of IC2). IC2 addons already cover a *lot* of the possible suggestion space.

...Honestly, what do you want? Industrial potions? Metal shavings bench? A space dimension? Colored luminators? Tell me honestly and objectively that none of these sound useless (or, in one case, absolutely impossible with the current Minecraft engine) and I might consider your points.

Shift-clicking is supposed to makes you spend less time placing items ... do you really spend hours placing upgrades ? I guess not. So it's not bad, but I don't see the interest of it.

Don't be silly, it's a 5 minute implementation. If it saves 60 people 5 seconds, it's paid itself back in full.

• ...Honestly, what do you want?

Let me go back and quote myself here.

I'm saying that the community, when it sees a bad idea, should brainstorm over it and attempt to convert it into a good idea, instead of just screaming NO.

Make sense?

• Quoted from "MatLaPatate"
    Shift-clicking is supposed to makes you spend less time placing items ... do you really spend hours placing upgrades ? I guess not. So it's not bad, but I don't see the interest of it.
    Don't be silly, it's a 5 minute implementation. If it saves 60 people 5 seconds, it's paid itself back in full.

Yeah right. But it would also takes 5 minutes for the dev to read that post ^^

And I already made a 5-minutes-to-be-implemented suggestion (even less, in fact): Trade-O-Mat outputing redstone signal while trading 2 items. That would to me be useful to create "pay to enter"-like structures. But it has never been implemented. I think they simply forgot.

NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• Let me go back and quote myself here.

Make sense?

Yes, but as I said, the raw material is basically worthless. Are you looking for brainstorming for every lightning-rod-equivalent suggestion? 'Cause, let me tell you, I have better things to do with my time.

Honestly, I'm not sure you've been looking at the same suggestions forum I have. I've seen ideas that I wouldn't have given a second thought to being discussed and raised into vaguely interesting things, and I've seen interesting ideas get shot down (I even took one of them and turned it into an addon). The industrial potions suggestion I was talking about earlier? I personally think it's somewhere between boring and useless, but it's seen plenty of discussion and brainstorming.

It's not quite random, but it's close enough that I'm more than willing to just put it down to different people having different opinions.

Yeah right. But it would also takes 5 minutes for the dev to read that post ^^

And I already made a 5-minutes-to-be-implemented suggestion (even less, in fact): Trade-O-Mat outputing redstone signal while trading 2 items. That would to me be useful to create "pay to enter"-like structures. But it has never been implemented. I think they simply forgot.

So, because your suggestion wasn't implemented, you don't think this one should be, either? Or what?

Incidentally, you should stop posting at the same time as I am, I keep having to go back and edit to avoid double posting, and that takes so much work! :P

• So, because your suggestion wasn't implemented, you don't think this one should be, either? Or what?

Nope. That was to explain the fact that even if something would takes 2 minutes to be implemented, if it's a minor function and if developpers aren't reading ... it won't be implemented. I'm not against this suggestion, why should I be ? It's convenient, but that a little thing, so I think develloper will simply missed it.

Incidentally, you should stop posting at the same time as I am, I keep having to go back and edit to avoid double posting, and that takes so much work!

Lol. I ninjaed you, as greg would say.

NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• I have better things to do with my time.

So go and do those better things with your time! Unless you truly believe that something of value is accomplished when users login and berate every useless suggestion... which is exactly what I'm arguing against. If it's a bad suggestion, let it just sit there and rot. I'm suggesting that users expend no energy in fighting these suggestions and simply let them fail on their own lack of power. Absolutely nothing is accomplished by replying to the numerous repeatedly denied suggestions. Having 5 different forum regulars replying to the same post with the same exact "ALREADY DENIED AND IS ALSO A BAD IDEA" spam is just as pointless as the "bad" suggestion itself.

I don't see what's so difficult to grasp about what I'm saying, so I guess I'll work with the example you provided, and illustrate what I mean about brainstorming. The lightning rod. Okay, the lightning rod terrible idea. But what does the idea mean? Why is it being put forward in the first place?

The suggestion is for a means to an end. - Means: Machine to gather energy from lightning. End: Production of bonus energy. The suggestion implies that the suggestor believes there is a need for new power generation methods in IC2, or perhaps a method of generating "bonus" power under certain conditions. If you've followed my train of thought so far, we now have a malleable concept we can work with, that being: A machine that provides a method of attaining a quantity of "bonus" power if certain environmental conditions are met. Cue the storming of brains!

• That was to explain the fact that even if something would takes 2 minutes to be implemented, if it's a minor function and if developpers aren't reading ... it won't be implemented. I'm not against this suggestion, why should I be ? It's convenient, but that a little thing, so I think develloper will simply missed it.

Yeah, that's a sad but true fact of life.

I'm suggesting that users expend no energy in fighting these suggestions and simply let them fail on their own lack of power.

Oh! Well, that *is* what I do, but the tradition around here seems to be to ignore that everyone else has already said the same damn thing and repeat it. Maybe for post count, I don't know. If that's what you want to change, it's probably a bit of a quixotic struggle, but more power to you.

• I would say: It's not a bad Idea, but it's not useful ... Shift-clicking is supposed to makes you spend less time placing items ... do you really spend hours placing upgrades ? I guess not. So it's not bad, but I don't see the interest of it.

I don't spend hours placing upgrades, but I don't spend hours moving armour to my inventory slots, moving humus to an arboretum in Forestry or even organising my inventory. What I do find this useful for is new players who expect shift click to work on machines, move the items into the aforementioned machine and cause spillages from their piping systems. InvTweaks was not developed because people spent hours reorganising their inventories and it does not save that much time. It was developed because it was a small improvement on the previous system that just made things more usable. Look at the king of usability, Apple; While I may not like their products personally, they have nailed the seamless UI with shortcuts and tricks working system wide. Their profits show it too.

Honestly, I would expect this change to be a couple lines if the devs have already implemented the transferStackInSlot method and a quick copy/paste if not:

Code
    If (stack.itemID == upgrade.ID) { 
    	if (!mergeItemStack(stack, upgradeSlot0, upgradeSlot3, true)) {
        	return null;
    	}
    } else {
    	if (!mergeItemStack(stack, inventorySlotStart, inventorySlotFinished, true)) {
        	return null;
    	}
    }

I didn't mean to start a flame war, so let's all stop shouting at each other over the internet. Honestly, I'm not bothered if a suggestion gets implemented. I understand there is limited time and not every little detail can be attended to. It's there if someone has a spare ten minutes though and there is no negative outcome to implementing this that I can think of.