Max safe height of wind mills?

• Building some very high structures and wanted to use windmills to power it. I need clarification on the docs before I dump all my resources into this though.

The wiki says that windmills can be built safely at an effective height of 149 or lower. Is that 149 above sea level (IE, I can build safeley at Y 192 without adding obstructions) or does it mean an effective y of 149?

And can I build them safely all the way up to y256 if I have enough obstructions to keep the power down?

• Building some very high structures and wanted to use windmills to power it. I need clarification on the docs before I dump all my resources into this though.

The wiki says that windmills can be built safely at an effective height of 149 or lower. Is that 149 above sea level (IE, I can build safeley at Y 192 without adding obstructions) or does it mean an effective y of 149?

And can I build them safely all the way up to y256 if I have enough obstructions to keep the power down?

Height, almost always means Y-level at foot.
    The second: untrue, the max height you can place blocks is Y=255. However, if you have enough obstructions, yes, it will stay down.

• Official Post

Building some very high structures and wanted to use windmills to power it. I need clarification on the docs before I dump all my resources into this though.

As i've edited the windmill page wiki, here it is :

Maximum safe height is Y 149 (sea level is Y 64).
    You can safely build them at Y 255 (256 doesnt allow blocks [however wires can be placed somehow]) if you have enough obstructions to lower the efficiency.
    If you place a windmill at Y 255 you will need exactly 106 obstructions. [255-149 = 106], the formula you can see at wiki.

I'd suggest you use my special wind tower setups to generate great amounts of energy and safely (aka no windmill breaking).

• Your stuff is way too low to the ground for the project (which is why I'm checking, as apparently I can in fact blow out windmills even without more height than I already have)

• Official Post

Your stuff is way too low to the ground for the project (which is why I'm checking, as apparently I can in fact blow out windmills even without more height than I already have)

Well, one of my setups is at height 181, so if you consider it too low you can try the compact one at height of 237. However it requires more effort to build it safely (while you are harvesting resources for windtowers).