[IC2 Exp][1.7.10] luacs1998's IC2 Addons - Compact watermills, anyone?

• News: I have moved to CurseForge for download hosting http://minecraft.curseforge.com/mc-mods/compact-watermills/

Compact Watermills
    A relatively basic addon. Inspired by CompactSolars/Advanced Solars.

I hereby declare Compact WaterMills somewhat complete. Only with some optimization/etc left :)
    The watermills are based on these calculations, slightly modified by me:

You CAN NOT pipe water or water buckets into it, only unmanned mode applies. (subject to change, depends on popular demand)

Note that only water blocks will be tapped to generate power.

Recipes:
    LV:
    :Water Mill: :Water Mill: :Water Mill:
    :Water Mill: x :Water Mill:

MV:

HV:

EV:

x = transformer of the respective tier

IC2 stable version has been removed, PM me if you want it

Experimental API version (this has more features)

Source is available on bitbucket: https://bitbucket.org/luacs1998/cwm

PS. Modpacks? Carry on. Like I can stop you anyway.

• NOOO ... So basically an OP, works-where-you-want-without-any-withdraw generator ? At least makes it scan more water (like 5*5*5 instead of 3*3*3 for the LV)

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• Official Post

Use these formulas and you are good :3

• No, plz don't. Even though I think it would still be better than the current system. The question is, why you guys need a generaror working without actual conditions ? (lots of space for windmills, no obstruction up to the sky for Solar Pannels).

NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• Forge recently added a liquid temperature thingy into the Fluids API, I could evaluate the possibility of seeing how hot or cold is the temperature, then throttle the power gen rate accordingly.
    Also:

Use these formulas and you are good :3

Well, I could see about requiring you to jump through many hoops to get the darn thing to power itself.
    The math might come in useful, but the current detection algorithm I use might cause a wee bit too much lag as I sample all the blocks around the watermill block ( https://bitbucket.org/luacs199…ill.java?at=master#cl-104 ) so yeah. Also, I may revise your calculations so that it produces slightly more energy, but only samples blocks at its y level and below. Meaning, it loses efficiency the deeper you put it.

• Official Post

Still doesnt make sense - the temperature thingy.
    In theory the best would be to make the watermills recognize "water tanks" (both natural or not - except ocean water which could be exploitable), or add a new fluid called "rainwater" which randomly generates on rains and flows like energized glowstone, but downwards and when it comes in contact with normal water, it disappears.

• Well, my plan for HV stuff is that it's a tank capable of generating electricity. So you'll have to pipe water (buckets/cells or fluids) in, and can't simply just plonk it down in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Like, the higher the tier, the more input methods you lose.

• Pumping ? ... this would mean free infinite energy ... I've suggested a detailed system sith dams and tanks on the "Compact windmill" addon Thread if you want.

NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• Pumping ? ... this would mean free infinite energy ... I've suggested a detailed system sith dams and tanks on the "Compact windmill" addon Thread if you want.

Well, my original idea was something like that..
    But, the question is, how are you gonna get the fluid into the water mill?
    Maybe I should file it under the "Buildcraft Compatible Water Mill". XP

You know that pumping water is limited per water line right? (a golden Waterproof pipe is limited to 40mb/t input/output, a TE liquiduct is limited to 100mb/t input/output Per connection) So in theory you wouldn't be able to get infinite power. Cause the mill only have 5 sides so that's only up to 500mb/t or 250eu/t worth of water. (a bucket of water gives off 1 eu/t for 500 ticks) To even balance it better have side(s) that are allowed to be pumped in and just that. Also you could limit how much water get into the mill per tick so to prevent any "super" water pipes that may exists later. As for cell inputting, that's is simple to prevent spammers just have the mill consume one whatever you feel like is balanced (say one per 2 ticks). Pumping in water is somewhat is real life water power. Pumped water=pressure and that drives the turbines. However turbines are limited at pressure or else they'll break. So the LV mill would example can't be pumped with much water on the other hand a HV one could goes a little more crazy.

• You know that pumping water is limited per water line right? (a golden Waterproof pipe is limited to 40mb/t input/output, a TE liquiduct is limited to 100mb/t input/output Per connection) So in theory you wouldn't be able to get infinite power. Cause the mill only have 5 sides so that's only up to 500mb/t or 250eu/t worth of water. (a bucket of water gives off 1 eu/t for 500 ticks) To even balance it better have side(s) that are allowed to be pumped in and just that. Also you could limit how much water get into the mill per tick so to prevent any "super" water pipes that may exists later. As for cell inputting, that's is simple to prevent spammers just have the mill consume one whatever you feel like is balanced (say one per 2 ticks). Pumping in water is somewhat is real life water power. Pumped water=pressure and that drives the turbines. However turbines are limited at pressure or else they'll break. So the LV mill would example can't be pumped with much water on the other hand a HV one could goes a little more crazy.

Or else.. BOOM.
    Though I don't know how to explode something yet :(

• Official Post

Or else.. BOOM.
    Though I don't know how to explode something yet :(

Water power RL doesnt pump water, it takes high pressure water from dams (water from river [which eventually came from rain]) and makes it flow through turbines, simple as that.
    When the dam level gets low (aka river can't supply the dam because of dry seasons) , the pressure decreases, thus decreasing energy generation, causing a shortage.

I can get infinite mB/t in a block if i want, really.
    TE tesseract (or even GT) + several other tesseracts (or GT terminals) = infinite water input.

• That's where the double belting up comes in. Although tesseracts are still limited to a bucket a tick to a single input if you put it adjacent. Idk what's GT tesseract limit is but at least those require power to run and yes I know you get the pressure from the dam. However like past said it's nearly impossible to put in real hydro electricity generation mechanics in MC. (or at least for now)

• Official Post

However like past said it's nearly impossible to put in real hydro electricity generation mechanics in MC. (or at least for now)

While you can't do real hydroelectric powerplants, you can do something that is close to it, making the watermills dependant on the thing the real powerplant is : Rain

Tanks could be created to store rainwater (and those of course fills up when it is raining) and that water could be "pumped" into the watermill.
    My idea is to make a watermill be a part of the tank and activating it decreases the water tank storage, while generating energy depending on how full is the tank.
    The tank is completely man-made and its detection code would be something similar to XyCraft tanks that could be made of almost anything (but improved for performance).
    In this case the tanks would be made of cobblestone/stone or even dirt. The tank detection code is manually activated on the main watermill block.
    Adding various watermills to a single tank will increase the energy generated, while "consuming" more water.

Another idea is to make the watermills only possible on "river" biomes and exclusively on them, thus generating energy based on the amount of water around that is on the river biome.