Posts by Thutmose

The main problem with making the diamond drill not work with tier 1 backpacks is, iirc, the lithium backpack works exactly like the normal batpack, so it would not work with the diamond drill. maybe instead raise the needed backpack for the mining laser, so it will only work with the lapotron pack.

Any other planned uses for mercury? i am almost at the point where i want to scrap it, as i am getting much more than i can use for luminators out of my redstone -> chrome plant

Edit: maybe have some way to get the mercury into a bucket, then allow that to be placed as a new fluid. Then i can have mercury rivers flowing through my underground complex :D

Edit: some possible uses:

Mercury Batteries (single use ones, but last a while)
    Mercury + gold ore => more gold dust than normal (mercury is very useful in gold extraction)
    High power Rectifier for use in the supercondensator (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury-arc_valve) The current planned superconducting grids are designed to run HVDC, it would be safe to assume that EU is sent AC, as it can be converted via transformers. Your supercondensator would then need to convert to HVDC, then back to HVAC, then step back down. The mercury arc rectifier would be perfect for the job

Some unknown dusts detected, 3 are steel, relevant other mods installed:

Railcraft, UE+icbm, Thermal expansion, metallurgy core, base, precious and utility and condensed blocks mod.

The only importantish one i see here is the manganese, as the ore will not grind in the industrial grinder (works in normal macerator fine)

You know what the second Input-Slot is for? Look it up in NEI, it's WATER!!! Why? In Factorysation you need to clean your Ores before Processing them, what is completly logical, so guess why my Industrial Grinder needs Water.

Btw, its not a Plus, its a pixelized Circle.

ok, will retry it with water cells/bucket there, are there any plans on making it compatible with BC fluids? so water can be pumped in from a tank?

It does not say the casing is missing. How long does it take? i had it hooked to an MFE for about 15minutes and ore in the top slot and nothing happened

edit: if i break any block on the multi block part the plus on the grinder goes red and it says that the machine casing is incomplete

also confirmed that it is connected to the EU network correctly, as if i replace the MFE with an MFSU it goes boom

Antimatter is not used in medical enviroments, its just an natural emmission with gamma rays. Suggestion after antimatter, anti-hydrogen.

The specific type of gamma rays used are produced via an electron-positron pair annihilation, the positron is an anti-electron, i.e. antimatter. The fact that they use Beta plus decay to produce the antimatter is irrelevant, what is important is that they use a property of the antimatter in the medical environment.

An electron-positron pair annihilation will produce two practically identical gamma rays in opposite directions (due to conservation of momentum requirements). If these are both detected, the point of emission can be determined.

@uu matter, could you please link the article where it mentions the detection of these black holes? the last one i saw was the string theory based calculations that said it might be able to make them, not that there were detected.

First of all I'm older than 12, and probably talking like a nerd. Second of all everything on that list except white holes and alternate dimensions have been discovered in particle accelerators (in real life). Yes antimatter exists but in extremely small subatomic particles (anti particles) and could never be used for power (it can in minecraft) :) . Strangelets are still theoretical but likely exist, they are a jumble of quarks that turn what ever they touch into strange matter (this is theoretical). Black holes, yes they exist and have been decected both in the large hadron collider in Europe and in outer space. Dark energy is just a name for the force making the universes expansion accerate. Dark matter is a super gravity that doesn't have mass, and yes neutrinos (dark matter particles) have been decected.

Neutrinos are probably not the dark matter particles, current calculations do not allow for them to make up enough of the mass deficit to account for what is required of dark matter.

Dark matter is the name given to whatever is causing galaxies to have the wrong rotation profile, not a super gravity, it definitely has mass if it causes gravity (gravity is the force which is resultant from the existence of gravitational mass, so if it produces gravity, it must have some form of gravitational mass, just like if something has charge, it produces an electromagnetic force).

Last I checked, they had not confirmed that the LHC had produced any black holes (if it did, they would be short lived anyway), but ones the ones at centers of galaxies are fairly certain to exist.

I am fairly certain that strangelets are not stable, otherwise the RHIC should have made them, or evidence of them should be seen (though they might be the dark matter, it does not explain why the RHIC did not manage to make any)

And yes, antimatter is fairly accepted as existing, considering that it is used in medicine quite a lot (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positron_emission_tomography ) What antimatter would do nicely in would be a large explosive device, or something that needs to be able to release all of its energy at once. assuming you manage to find a way to perfectly convert energy into antimatter, it would be at best, an energy storage system, rather than energy supply. This would make it rather good for portable storage or weapons.

Your "possible features list" on your page states that alternate dimensions are a possibility for the future of this (giant) :D addon. Well I have an idea called a hyperspace tap. When you get to another dimension ( of course this would be very difficult to do) there will be eu in the surrounding space. And you must extract the eu from the surrounding area using a hyperspace tap. (this is balanced because the energy required to open a portal is probably 10 billion eu or something like that and the amount of eu you will gain is varied between 100 million and 1 trillion eu. Also included in your "planned features list" is the particle accelerator, first you should splice down material with a splicer to get particles (water would give 2 hydrogen atoms and 1 oxygen atom). Then you would smash the atoms together in the particle accerator, this will give various by products, always protons, neutrons and occasionally electrons. The various combinations of atoms in a atom assembler will give you basically every possible element on the periodic tabe, those elements could then be combined to make new materials HAYO! Rare products depend on the atoms being smashed together. Rare products include: positrons (antimatter counterpart to an electon), anti protons and (anti neutrons?), strangelets (very dangerous, look on Wikipedia for MOAR info), black holes (when smashing together matter) and white holes (when smashing together antimatter particles). Antimatter power (also listed on your "possible features" list can provide a lot of eu or explode violently (some what like nuclear reactors but produces way more power)). Putting together a black hole and a white hole crates a portal/wormhole? Needs to be opened with negative energy (also look on Wikipedia)? But the negative energy needs to exceed the dark matter in the area (dark matter is like a super gravity that will collapse a portal). Black holes can be used for various things like a Black hole energy storage device Which holds 100 billion eu there are also more types of storage like the Singularality storage device that holds nearly infinite eu. The ultimate form of power would be dark energy as it has a rare chance of spwaning in alternate dimensions. Check wikipedia!

I like physics! :thumbup:

First: there is no current evidence for the existence of white holes, as the gravitational force appears to be strictly attractive, and any white hole that could form would disappear in a very very short time.

second: A black hole cannot be used to store anything useful. This is due to the fact that you cannot get anything back out (the hawking radiation that escapes would not provide a significant amount of power)

Third: Strangelets so far appear to be all unstable, so no danger from them.

Fourth: Dark energy appears to be a large scale phenomenon (or extremely weak), so extracting energy from it directly is even less likely than extracting energy from the quantum vacuum (which would require some rather advanced nanotechnology to do if it is even possible, though probably would not require any other universe to extract from).

more maybe to be added later when I have more time.

So long as the solar panels don't magically produce much much more energy from the same physical sized device. The amount of power hitting an area would have a cap, where 1 block worth should be nowhere near as much as a geothermal generator. one block of sunlight can't be as hot as one block of lava, if it were, you would burn.

Maybe have the advanced solar panels act like the railcraft things where they merge when placed together, so a single large panel can be made that covers 20x20 blocks or so? (that would be 400x the power generation of one)

Refinements on my "minerals from Water" idea:

Have a multi block system with the following sections:

One section collects the water from a large pool

A second section Which accepts the water and charges extraction fibers based on the amount of water received.

A third section which accepts water from the first one to supply water for filling cells/buckets/etc.

The first section is to allow for a large multi block assembly for collecting the water itself. This could be like the miner, where it needs to send a pipe down (say 3-5 blocks), then have the pipe spread out a bit underneath (say another 2-3 out), to ensure that a large body of water is used. The pipe would only be able to be sent into a water source block.

(optional, allow this to be rotated so that the collection area is above it, make it look cool for underwater constructions extracting from the water above, sorta like Hydras http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydra_(genus) or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tube-dwelling_anemone).

The second section could be made to require either huge amounts of water, so would need a very large system feeding it, or could be made to take a very long time to extract, so would need many of them to get anything useful.

The third section was just added to give explanation for where the water goes after, as well as a faster way to fill cells with water.\

On the Fibers:

The main goal of this idea is to provide an end game supply of resources which does not involve tossing scrap boxes at a wall. So, the extraction Fibers should be non-consumed, or be renewable. What could be done, is have them be rather expensive to make, then have a special coating for them make them specific to a set of minerals to extract from the water. Then have the full versions go into the centrifuge and turn into the empty version and the dusts that they collect. This would allow for three dusts per fiber, so each of the stage 2 devices above would be able to acquire three types of mineral.

Reason why this is "end game":

If you have the fibers produce the smaller bits of dust to have this efficiently produce materials would require a large infrastructure of automation to pull the full fibers out, send them to the centrifuge, then move the full ones back. To get any useful minerals would normally be faster to just mine them, so this would only be helpful after most of the local environment has been mined out. This would provide a continuous (albeit slow) supply of the materials useful for the current greg=tech stuff, such as uranium for getting more wolfram dust from, and lithium for making tritium (if that happens) or for making iridium (with the wolfram).

Ah, THAT explains all those slimes I had by my house. I thought it was a weird spawning issue.

Also, Greg, I have a request: I was going to add TerrafirmaCraft to my setup again, but realized I won't be able to get bauxite dust in the overworld without scrap box spamming since it overrides world generation for it's own world gen. So would it be possible to get it from some kind of gem dust? And hopefully a way to get uranium dust as well(my two main ores I'll need but won't be able to locate once I add TFC again).

If TFC has pitchblende that would make sense to be the uranium ore. Does TFC use the FoD?