Posts by 1n5aN1aC

On the base, I agree.

However, practically, it's not hard to create that much scrap without any considerable lag.
    The design that I'll try as soon as RP comes out can easily feed 2 recyclers with 5 overclockers each, and keep them running 99% of the time, and although there are considerable block changes, you encase it in blocks, so there are no lighting updates, which stops most of the client-side lag, and the items travel through pipes for very short distance into a recycler, and if the recycler is full, the scrap generation stops.

Although it does make some lag, Its not really much that I care about, even being the admin of the server I'm building it on. And It can easily make enough lapiz to fuel at least a 3000 EU/t reactor of this design for at least a full cycle, with the 1/3 chest of lapiz buffer i've been using

The solar powered flowers make great garden decor gifts, especially for those that have a difficult time remembering to water their flowers. Once placed in the ground, these lilies will always stand stall and beautiful, no water required. Auckland Lawn Mowing Services

/me believes this is spam.

But as a forum admin myself, I admit, it is actually decent spam, compared to 99% of it.

Don't read the changelogs at all I take it?
    anyway, boxes provide 9x the scrap power as they're worth 9 scrap.

Ahh, so no efficiency bonus. I've switched over to using scrap boxes instead, just for ease of use, and not having to pump quite as many items into the UU-gen.

Also, I've expanded my reactor design to accommodate up to 4096 EU/t,

I have also essentially gotten rid of my EU loss due to cable fails, and am doing another test run with the optimization I mentioned with only partially refilling the LZH-condensators.

Still how is it better than a simple mark 1 reactor that requires no maintenance at all?

Because sometimes... All you want to do is build the biggest possible reactor.

sometimes the challenge is not for the most practical, but to be getting 4000+ EU/t out of one reactor.

Well, it looks like you are using LZH Condensators, (the blue +looking things) which don't necessarily work quite like normal components in that you have to recharge them with lapiz, otherwise they just take heat into them.
    In your particular design, you would have to recharge a LZH condenser about every 80 seconds, otherwise they would wear out, and then your reactor would begin overheating.

Secondly, you see many neutron refectors in a line. (the white plates) they don't do anything unless they are placed next to uranium cells, so 8 of the ones in your reactor design are useless, while the others are actually doing something. (they make more power + a tad more heat)

Same with the cooling cells actually (the things with the vertical blue squiglies.)
    Cooling cells are similar to LZH-condensators in that they must be next to a hot componet (uranium cell) to do much good, and they just hold heat, instead of get rid of it. However, cooling cells can get rid of their heat over time, unlike LZH-condensators.

For more information:

http://wiki.industrial-craft.n…php?title=Nuclear_Reactor

Totally agree.

In fact, I just made a successful version of this type of reactor. Problem is, with the current "bug" where quad uranium cells burn up 4X as fast, we only get about 75% efficiency.

I made a thread where I explain my reactor here.

Soo..... Lets just say I spent a long time making a project that I thought would be the future of "CASUC" reactors in 1.3.
    The Idea has been thought of ever since IC2 for 1.3 came out, but I was only convinced to make it after what Talonius stated in his post HERE.

In short, I spent most of my time trying to figure out how to implement the different parts without Redpower, as it is not updated for 1.3 yet....

So here is my solution: (If you just want to see my numbers and efficiency calculations, and Thoughts on the matter, skip to right before the last image.)

1. My reactor setup. (note that we could go much more powerful than this, But since it was easier to not go past 2048 EU/t because of cable limitations, and for a reason I explain elsewhere, I went with this design.)

2040 EU/t (before loss)
    also, note that this design puts 2 LZH's next to each cell. This gives me a bit of fail-safe in case a new LZH doesn't come in fast enough, that it won't start heating up and exploding imediently.

Next, I used a simple Logistic pipes setup to automatically extract any LZH's that had ran out, since logistics pipes honors data values, this worked perfectly.

My computer was having some issues with a large setup of logistics pipes, so I couldn't use them for the rest of the project, as they were VERY unreliable in terms of speed, so I used a sort of buffer to transfer the items to normal BC pipes, to transport to the cooling room.

Then, the cooling room. the hard part. In the cooling room, there were three(3) main parts to the process. First, all broken LZH's come through the wall into a storage chest that is used as a buffer. This is so that in case the reactor goes through many LZH's faster than we can refill them, it doesn't mess up our refilling process.

As items are pumped out of the chest by the BC gate, several things happen. First, the gate is an and gate, that is set up so that it will not pump out a new LZH until the old one is completely past it, and secondly, it sends a signal down the red pipe wire to a separate part of the machine to send 3 lapiz to craft.

Next, the LZH, and the three lapiz arive at the auto crafting table, are crafted, and sent back on their way to a buffer right behind the reactor.

Here, I once again used BC gates. This is the place where I most wished I had Redpower (besides cobble/scrap generation.) So instead, we have a complex series of gates that basically pumps a full LZH into the reactor if and only if:
    1. The reactor has empty space.
    2. There is not currently a LZH in the pipe
    3. There is a LZH in the chest to insert.

However, this is not reliable, and sometimes pumps several, even though there is only space for one in the reactor. Hence, I placed obsidian pipes to catch the overflow, and put it back into the chest.

I will skip over cobble generation to be used to make scrap, as I have not actually implemented this. I will, once RP is out, be using something like this:
    http://www.13-thirtyseven.com/assets/img/cobble%20gen.png using RB block breakers.
    but for now, all the methods of cobble generation won't fit nicely on my wall, so I just spawned scrap for these tests.

and now... for the Lapiz generation.

Here, I used more BC gates (prefer a lot of RP's stuff, but again, that isn't out yet.) to control the flow of scrap, and prevent inefficiencies.
    Firstly, the UU-generators are set up to only generate when there is some item in them, using the BC gates. As UU is pulled out as soon as it is generated, this means it will only be generating whenever scrap is present inside them.
    I have gates set up to only pump scrap when:
    1. the lapiz storage is not full.
    2. There is scrap inside the scrap buffer.
    3. There is room for the Scrap inside of the UU-gen.

then it generates UU, and then pumpes it into the autocrafting table, and them puts the lapiz into the lapiz buffer.

You will notice that the lapiz buffer has 3 pipes connected to it. Each one of these will pump one lapiz out of the chest for each empty LZH brought in to be refilled.

Now, the big point. Results:

So Talonius pointed out the following math:
    "...a simple design with one LZH-Condenser next to a Quad uranium cell."
    You get 12,000,000 EU
    The cost to remake the lapis: 1,905,778 EU
    The cost to remake the copper plates / tin cells used in the quad uranium cell: 544,700 EU
    Profit!: 9,549,522 EU

So thats around 80% efficiency, not bad at all, and you could probably come up with a design using single uranium cells, we can get almost 85%, so not all that bad, considering how much EU/t we could still be making.

So here were my Real-world, actually tested results:

2040 EU/t (before loss)
    100,888,576 EU created in one full cycle
    26,240,148 EU used to regenerate the Lapiz during that cycle.

So I got Less than 75% Efficiency.

that being said, there are a few optimizations / things I would like to point out before everyone disregards these kinds of reactors.

1. All EU readings were AFTER LOSS. And I was not very safe on loss at all. I used HV cable from the reactor to the MFSU's and glass fiber cable everywhere else. With more careful wiring, much more EU could be produced.
    After calculating what my loss should be by examining my cable connections, I can account for where about 4 million power was lost via bad cabling habits. However, that still leaves us with barely higher than 75% efficiency.

2. I noticed that LZH's do not refill evenly. The WIKI (link) lists that a LZH can store 100k heat, while each lapiz repairs 40k of that.
    Therefore, the first 2 lapiz's give us 80k heat, while the third one is being half wasted, and only repairing 20k heat.
    We could never repair them up to full, and be forced to replace them more often as a result, but we would then use roughly 20% less energy to refill the LZH's, saving us about 5.2 Million EU in lapiz regeneration in this example, bringing us down to only about 20% total EU loss.

3. Heat (and therefore EU required to regenerate goes up exponentially as you pack Uranium cells closer together, and as it stands currently (whatever it is about the quad uranium cell lifetime bug, could someone please confirm it is a bug?) I think we begin to lose efficiency as we pack cells closer together. (and therefor make more power per tick)

Overall, Assuming the Quad uranium cell lifetime glitch is a bug, and will be fixed, this is a VERY viable layout.
    However, with the high losses I had in this experiment, and with the bug, It is only semi effective, netting us about 1400 EU/t with the layout I was using, after using UU to refill all related components.

I am currently doing it with logistics pipes.

In fact, I could do the whole thing with logistics pipes, but logistics pipes seems to still inject more LZH's even when the reactor is full, and drop them on the ground.

Currently, I'm using logistics pipes to take them out when they are empty, normal BC to transport them to my "cooling room" where I have automatic crafting tabels combined with what Talonius pointed out here to generate the needed lapiz. I am using the new BC logic gates to keep 9 stacks of lapiz ready to do, and shut off generation as soon as that buffer chest is full.

Also using the gates to send the proper amount of lapiz to the crafting table every time a LZH come through the system.

I also have a complicated gate system set up in case 2 LZH's empty at exactly the same time, as that would cause a minor problem with my auto-crafting solution.

Then the filled LZH's get pumped back to a chest behind the reactor waiting to be put in, but I can't find a reliable way to insert them without redpower.

I've almost completed my working design of a *working* LZH-condensator replacing reactor,
    complete with "cooling rooms" (where it auto-crafts them back to full) and fully automatic replacement of the LZH's when they reach breaking point.

I just can't really do it reliably without redpower, so I'm kinda waiting on that, even though everything else is set up and working correctly.

Sorry, I know this thread is old, and that It's a little off topic, but I can't for the life of me figure it out.

In short, I can't figure out how to keep a chest / machine automatically supplied with a specific item, when said item needs to go through logistic pipes' autocrafter.

I am able to use a requester pipe manually to request said items, but the system refuses to do it itself.

Is it supposed to work like that? can I do it with chassis & modules somehow? Or do I have to do a very complex workaround?

I kinda...... Have a huge reactor project I'm working on I need this for :P

EDIT: repleaced the pipes and it works now.......... derp.

I HAVE applied the patch, but still seem to get a similar crash.

I have both IC2, and Buildcraft installed, and i'm guessing the combination of the two is what's causing it, because if i run minecraft from a commandpront to see errors, i get some kind of concurrent modification exemption.

At first we thought it was our chainsaw, but I finally figured out it only happens when someone places or breaks a torch NEAR MY MACHINE ROOM.
    It will not crash if we place/break torches anywhere else.

and the server doesn't crash, it doesn't even notice anything happens, but anyone that that has that chunk loaded, crashes with that same error.

or use very high voltage. even on 100 block long distance it loss 4% of energy.

not really.

as far as i can see, High Voltage seems to be currently broken.

consider the following scenario:

we have a 100-block long stretch we need to transport energy.

First case: EV cable 4X insulated.
    loses 1EU every 1.25 block
    100 blocks, that's 80 EU lost every pulse.
    each pulse of EV is 2,048, so losing 80, you get 1,968 every pulse.
    That's around 96% efficiency. Quite decent really.
    for 1,000,000 EU to be transferred, you need about 488 pulses, and after loss, you get 960,937.5 of it back, a loss of about 40,000

Second case: Glass Fiber Cable :Glass Fibre:
    loses 1 EU every 20 blocks.
    100 blocks that's 5 EU lost every pulse.
    each pulse of HV is 512, so losing 5, you get 507 every pulse.
    That's around 99% efficiency.
    for 1,000,000 EU to be transfered, you need about 1,900 pulses, and after loss, you get 990,234.375 of it back, a loss of only about 10,000

I say Glass fiber is superior in about every way as far as i can see.