Posts by hosker666

Infinite 512 EU/t is an absurd amount of EU, (think about how unbalancing even 32 EU/t LV solars are compared to other generators).

Mind you, I don't think infinite EU from the gem is bad, just clamp the output down to 24-32 EU/t (and make it even rarer than iridium ore).

the point of having the inifinte gems is that there are only ever 7 of them... and you have to work fricking hard to get them. and even when you have them you would never keep them in a generator because people would rob you blind for them so i dont think its really that unbalancing.

I bet he is overhauling the addon to balance everything.

i started from a fresh MCP and forge installation and have started right from ground up. everything is completely recoded.

also, because nether stars are rare and most of the gems are essentially just batteries, most of the gems need to be crafted with a ghast tear which is easier to get until Onyx that will hold 50,000 EU from onyx up needs a nether star (except the chaos emeralds) that have to be crafted completely differently. i think in a genuine survival server, people would really have to think about whether they want to make an attempt on crafting one of these XD

i am considering keeping the plasmarite gem in with no world gen or crafting options. as a debug tool... infinite power with transfer rate of 100000eu/t into an mfsu... but i think someone else is working on a debug tool in another project so do you guys think its worth me keeping it as a debug item?

It was me =D , your addon has a bridge between magic and tech i've missed.

Not that GT doesn't have it, but it is too... weak.

haha well thank you... my server runs customnpc's too and i have a banking/currency system based on coins and a trading mechanism but there isnt really much to trade with practical value which is another reason i made the gems as opposed to any other item! its the little bridges that really help complete the feel of a game.

Ok, well end of this weekend i will upload the new balanced version of this, started from ground up again keeps things nice and tidy. Can somebody tell me how i host it with IC2?

also would like to say thank you to whoever gave me a 5* means a lot, its pretty daunting taking on an IC2 addon as my first mod :thumbup:

EDIT: REALLY sorry for my shoddy texturing I am an awful artist!

any plans on compatibility with thaumcraft? say turning shards into dull shards and back, as well as creating flux?

yes, seeing as i got the idea for this addon from using thaumcraft on my server along side IC2, i have considered compatability like turning shards into power sources etc, but it will probably be a separate module so that people can still use this IC2 addon (on its own or to enhance other magic/mystic mods) but can download a thaumcraft module... probably won't bother with flux though... going to be making the conversion extremely expensive and challenging to accomplish without adding more chance for flux creation.

Only one egg which can be used to get energy in GregTech =D .
    Enderdragon will not respawn unless you use third party stuff.
    [Although there are methods to duplicate eggs like sand, but thats cheating]

Will you keep the idea of extracting energy from gems in a generator?
    [Also nothing stops you from using endereyes to "awaken" the hidden magical powers of gems]

i like the idea of a special gem energy extractor however i prefer keeping the standard generators and storage units and the gems are magical items forged to interface with them... being so rare it would not be practical to keep them in a generator powering stuff... you would have to use them to charge the storage units then keep them in ender storage unless you want people to steal your chaos emeralds HAHA!

and yh like i said extra powers are planned, and could be unlocked with ender eyes but for the time being i am trying to avoid the mod ballooning with features especially as i am rebuilding the mod ground up to get this balancing right.

i really like the ideas being presented here... i can't remember who it was but someone on this forum (when i asked for help implementing a hook) told me to give up and start making smaller mods first... kinda got my goat a little.

Power storage is pretty useless if you consider all other options =D, so i'm still up for my suggestion as i like the concept of magical generators.
    (GT provides them but they are not self sustainable in any way or very limited)
    Gems can be generated anywhere you want.
    Maybe make plasmarite only generated in nether fortress (and in the end).
    If you are intending to add chaos emeralds please somehow limit to seven of them.

moving towards the treatment and creation of useable gems being expensive as a means of balancing over creating a new generator... out of pure curiosity because i genuinely do not know, when you kill the ender dragon and get the dragon egg, does the dragon ever respawn? or is there only ever 1 egg?

because egg+tnt+eye of ender = primed egg. apply RS current to it to blow it up dropping 7 powders. each powder can be added to a nether emerald (that have no special properties but are mega rare) and then re-smelted and each powder creates a new chaos emerald each with a unique property... it means that if only one egg ever spawns it makes the chaos emeralds HUGELY rare. just an idea

How about this... the gems only gen in the nether except for a "powerstone" that does barely anything... can store maybe 500EU when charged and pretty dull... but still reasonably rare and deep. then to unlock the properites of the other gems you have to mine them, then smelt them to get a "dull" gem which you have to mix with a nether star to create a treated gem which you have to mix with the powerstone and then smelt to create the power storage gems... except the plasmarite gem (redesigned to become the chaos emerald) which you have to mix with the dragon egg and smelt to create....

makes it VERY difficult to gain the plasmarite or Chaos Emerald... and like MatLaPatate said, sticks to the non-tech side of things and means people don't need special machines. kinda like alchemy almost XD because personally, there are tonnes of machines i never use anyway so adding more is counter-productive in my personal opinion. it is one of the main reasons that (sorry no offense intented) put me off of trying GregTech.

Also doing it this way encourages players to explore ALL 3 dimensions was think about adding an extra little surprise as a separate addon to this addon for those with Galacticraft mod and adding some special gems to the moon and such... not sure what features to add to these though... haha my desk is full of paper with large flow diagrams and mindstorms of gems and ideas might stop thinkin about new features and et this balanced first... ahh good old feature creep.

Well, idk if it is possible but it would be cool if it were added to the world generation in specific places.

That makes me suggest this :
    There are three strongholds (which leads to the end), in each of them you will find two chaos emeralds [one in the library, one in the portal room].
    The last chaos emerald is found in the end (in the very center of the main island).

As there will be only seven chaos emeralds, each one gives a massive boost of 128 EU/t in the mystical energy extractor.
    If all seven are in a mystical energy extractor, a special event will occur, which is the change of the mystical generator to a special beacon,it would generate 2048 EU/t) and gives potion effects to everyone in a area of 65x511x65 [X,Y,Z] (Regeneration, mining speed, resistance, strength, speed).

That is actually a really good idea, may be a little too advanced for me though. I am not new to java, but am very new to minecraft modding. I know how to make the ores Dimension specific (for example only generate in nether) but wouldn't know where to start making items spawn at specific locations especially as the locations are not normally defined until someone visits the dimension upon which it is generated. does that make sense? BUT on the other hand if i set up that system and made the chaos emeralds NEI only then that could make a pretty awesome adventure map!!!!

No Chaos Emeralds? Seriously? I'm out.

haha well you never know, i did say i would be adding more gems XD

Ok well i will give that a shot.

Or have the actual gem be crafted with 1 plasmarite ore and 1 of every other kind of gem, then that item would be surrounded by 8 iridium plates, then you get the infinite energy thing. You shouldn't just be able to get super lucky and get infinite energy.

yeah, I see your point. Basically, the roots of this mod lie in my server where we run both IC2 and thaumcraft (among lots others) and was going for a medeival/mystic theme but wanted to have buildcraft and Industrialcraft machines in the map. This mod really was to bridge that gap and the infinite gem was just part of the magic feeling.

Will eventually add a config file where you can define storage and ID's and i could always add a flag in there to determine whether the gem is infinite or not, thus giving you the choice.

The rules are pretty clear that you are not allowed to do this, period...
    (Unless, in the HIGHLY unlikely circumstance, Alba grants you permission to circumvent these rules)...

However, afaik, you MAY be able to put up a donation link here using a PayPal or ChipIn client. Don't quote me on this, as I could be wrong. Also, you do know you can host your files here, so you don't have to go thru media-fire...

Yeah that's why I was asking. Realise it probably wouldn't happen. Media fire was extremely convenient for me at the time. I will make the switch today

Your download link is incorrect. It leads to some badly made NPC addon.

Sorry sorry fixed the link that was a really really early development mod not ready for any kind of release yet

The infinite gem isn't as OP as you think it is. The highest voltage you can output from a storage unit is 512eu/t. So to get the energy out of the gem, you need a storage unit. And that limits the eu/t to 512.

correct although it does fill the storage unit VERY VERY fast (which is where the extreme transfer rate comes int)

He could create a new block (generator) to use that gem property.
    "Plasmarite generator" , a generator capable of extracting the mystical energy contained in those "magical" gems.

Not a bad idea at all may look into that!

In hindsight after playing a bit in MC i think i will need to make the plasmarite EVEN rarer...

This adds new ores that can be crafted into decorative gems or into mystic gems that store IC2 power like a battery. Although batteries are already in IC2 this adds a bridge between power and magic mods with ways to craft batteries in an alchemist fashion.

Special Thanks to:

• SirusKing - Remastered Textures

The Gems Added:

Recipes:

Where to find the bits:

-All gem and raw emerald ores generate in the nether (except powerstone)
    -Powerstone gen's in the overworld

Sorry for...
    -The awful recipe diagrams above

Download here --> HERE

haha sorry i thought i deleted this thread? I realised what i had done immediately after posting... my power source works perfectly now. thank you though XD hopefully have the addon up on the addon page after a little refinement with textures etc.

Using ICustomElectricItem to create an "infinite" power source...
    i figured that by using:

public int discharge(ItemStack itemStack, int amount, int tier, boolean ignoreTransferLimit, boolean simulate)
    {
    return 0;
    }

the simulate would make it infinite but the problem is when i use the "public int charge" i have to put "boolean simulate" with the charge as well as discharge else i get an abstract error. so now my battery wont charge to begin with... is there a better way to do this?

To two posts above :
    Op wants to create an item which is like an infinite battery with a set discharge rate, creating a "generator" item.
    His item will be like a gem which is able to discharge X EU/t inside any storage box.

Thanks, glad somebody read my OP!

You just created a huge battery, there's nothing where the energy comes from with the default IElectricItem behavior.
    With ICustomElectricItem it's possible to create different behaviors, in your case it'd be implementing discharge to create energy out of nothing.

I've been planning to make the IC2 debug item supply infinite energy btw.

ok awesome thanks, I will take a look at that thanks.

I didnt mean to tread on the toes of your mod, my mod is actually goings to be about 30 different ores and gems which all have electrical properties, but one, very very rare gem can summon thunder and can be used as an infinite power source. it is not meant as a debugging tool. I have thaumcraft installed as one of 33 mods on my server and it really adds a great mystical feel and i just really wanted to add more "magical" items into the game that still have a very practical use.