Posts by zorn

@Choco: has it been said somewhere that ic2 is out of ftb for good? Or are you just as sure as i am?

I agree MJs would be needed, forestry, railcraft, bc for pipes and gates.

I do think it woudl get used, but obviously not as popular as the RF mods.

@xbony: thanks. Im thinking of trying just a basic ic2 pack with the MJ old favorites, etc. No thermal expansion or those mods, just ic2 as the main tech mod. Or two versions, one with just ic2, one with GT added.

@blockmaster, sure if you are itnerested PM me. I get less time towards minecraft than most people do though.

I think the RF mods are popular for the same reason World of Warcraft became popular. the only thing you need to win... is to play. Time is the only limiting factor, there really is no way to truly lose. With rf mods you might be stuck on figuring out why a pipe wouldn't work but even the minor setbacks of ic2 and having a machine explode are, I think, too much for a lot of people's egos to handle.

People try to put together an ic2 power system and just fail and giveup. Ive helped people who were at that point. They jsut couldn't do it, no matter how hard they tried.

With rf power that really cannot ever happen. At worst something just fails to run, but you are never penalized for doing something wrong.

So unfortunately I think rf will always be the most popular. It's the Farmville of Modded MC. Everyone wins.

It's not definite yet, but it seems FTB is dropping ic2. A few months ago jaded said there would be up to 10 smaller packs and not 4 big ones. each pack would have its own power type. "The intricate power systems woudl be in their own pack."

Now they have stated that there are still only going to be 4 packs. One magic, one Lite type pack, one tech pack and one secret pack. The tech pack will be RF for sure. Im not holding my breath thinking the secret pack by Eyamaz will be ic2 and MJ type mods.

What id like to do is make a pack that has more challenging mods, BC forestry, railcraft and ic2 as a base, but Im wondering if anyone else has an interest here in making and releasing a pack like this. maybe an 'official IC2 pack'? I know people still play ic2 without gt, so maybe two versions, one with ic2 and some addons, then another more hard mode version that adds GT?

Im posting this becasue I run into people fairly often who tell me they only make custom packs because they can't find say, a 'hard mode gt pack'. The demand is there, but now their only option is a custom pack.

The other issue is that once ftb drops ic2, hosting companies wont support the mod anymore. Right now with creeperhost I can send them a ticket and they will help me with my son's Lite2 world, but if I make a custom ic2 pack I am on my own. Im not sure how this works behind the scenes, but is there a way to make an 'old school' pack and get it supported by companies like fragnet and creeperhost?

Or is this all a waste of time? It seems people who come here all use custom packs, is ic2 and gt becoming a tech version of Better Than Wolves, with a small loyal following, but not much notoriety? Should I just make my own custom pack and play SSP?

Releasing a pack is not easy. The AT Launcher is not taking new packs, Technic has some weird bad history with modders that I dont know about, and FTB... well I personally cant do it because im uh... banned there. heh.

Just wondering if anyone here has any interest in this? if not, ill just make my own custom pack i guess.

Forgot to reply here, thanks for the other replies. I will stay away from thaumcraft, going with BC ,railcraft, IC2, GT and a couple other addons, forestry... I think thats it. Oooh Chisel and Carpenters blocks. :)

Ill try it with 1.6 for now, my son is going crazy wanting to get started. :)

Im trying to build a pack that my son can play with me on my laptop that has 4gb of RAM and no real video card.

I used to play FTB ultimate on it, and wuold get 30 fps or so as long as I wasn't in my base. then it would drop dramatically.

These days it seems the newer packs from ftb, AT launcher, etc all work a computer much harder, but its hard to find out exactly why. is it how the mods are coded, or just the sheer number of mods?

Right now I installed FTB lite2 on my laptop and it seems to run ok. With a pack like Dw20 and adding GT to it, that laptop would get 2 fps in a brand new world, with no machines built at all. FTB Lite2: 35 fps. Are mods that add world gen the issue (Biomes o plenty, mods adding ores) by making world gen harder on the pc, or is it just that having more mods just creates more overhead, even if there are no mod blocks actually in play and in use?

What Im looking to do is make a very basic pack, buildcraft, railcraft, forestry, ic2 and GT and NEI, nothing more. Any opinions on whether this would run better, worse, or the same as a typical FTB pack? Is GT, just due to its size, hard on resources, and is it just impossible to use a mod that expansive on a 4gb laptop with no video card?

Any help is appreciated. :)

Hey all, I just started playing this pack saturday and thought some people who visit here and enjoy GT would like to know about this pack. The guy who made it has done what I had hoped to do but never got time to finish: using minetweaker to adjust other mods down to the pace of GT.

It has a lot of basic config tweaks like increasing the power draw of a BC quarry, using GT recipes for MPS suits, etc. But the minetweaker changes are where this really shines. Some examples:

MFR harvester, which takes more power in the configs, also requires stainless steel plates to craft.

the Extra Utils Ender Quarry has a BC Quarry added to the recipe, which is really quite genius because the Ender Quarry is really an upgrade to the BC quarry. There is no way to skip the BC quarry and just use the Ender Quarry instead.

Railcraft blast furnace is craftable, but only smelts steel dust, not iron into steel.

Plastic for all MFR machines can only be made using the new (?) GT machine that makes plastic. All MFR machines are now mid game at best.

Computer craft turtles require Steves Carts circuit and iron to make a computer, then require steel plates to make the turtle itself. If anything still might be a bit OP, it's this one, admittedly.

Although its probably not possible to perfectly balance out a big pack perfectly to GT, this pack comes really close, and is definitely more of a hard mode GT *pack* than any other pack Ive ever seen. I figured if any people might be interested in it, it would be people who hang out here. :)

again, thanks for the help. We kind of suspect Creeperhost is overloading their servers. The weekend was the worst, and now it runs somewhat better. We are looking for a dedicated server, and ill look for the specs you noted.

SirusKing - yes you are right, I meant just Support.

Player, thanks for the tips, I am taking notes. :) I do use Opis, but right now cant see any issues, but again, creeperhost will always blame the mods. Its also hard to know what kind of specs a server needs to have to run this game, no one really seems to know. Some people tell me a server with 4gb ram is overkill for 4 players, others tell me its not enough.

I do try to restrict chunk loaders, had to compromise with my group at world anchors only, 4 hours use per Ender PEarl.

Also player, wanted to say that on a Direwolf20 video, I saw you type up on the chat that 'free item teleportation ruins the game'. That affirmed my own thoughts, and now thanks to finding out how to accomplish that, im having more fun at minecraft than Ive had in months. Our whole group would like to thank you guys (everyone who works on ic2 and the addons) for keeping it more challenging and interesting than most other mods, we really would not keep playing modded minecraft without IC2. :)

And thanks for the help.

Im running into an issue with getting help from a hosting company if i install GT.

When I asked on the FTB forums why no packs had GT in them, the story i was told was that IC2 was not the defacto 'base' of a pack anymore. Jadedcat told me that thermal expansion is now the best fit to base a pack around, as so many other mods (where are they?) support RF, and mods are moving away from MJ and EU.

Ive used creeperhost for months, and now run a custom ftb pack where i removed a bunch of mods from DW20, and then added a couple mods including GT.

Creeperhost now tells me that they will not help me with issues I have, as I have installed custom mods.

So I was wondering, does anyone know of a host that will offer support for a custom pack that includes GT? Because it appeears that anywhere I go, if i put GT into a world, I will not get any help from the support people there. Two other hosts I emailed said they do not support custom packs. Only FTB default packs. Right now I have a 4GB, 3 core server from creeperhost that runs at 12 TPS with just 4 people on... and none of us have even gotten past just having a multifarm and a few generators and some basic machines. Any host can just ignore all responsibility now that I use a custom pack, and blame eveyrthing on the mods I installed. Apparently it doesnt matter than the mods I installed are all from other FTB packs... its the pack is not exactly how FTB set it up, I cant get help.

Anyway, any tips would be greatly appreciated. :)

Original intent IMO: Allow liquids to be used as an item, for recipes/processing and such.

Also IC2 =! TE , comparing prices wont lead anywhere.
    By the way, you cant use TE tank in GT recipes, for example.

I just try to balance the mods I play. People almost always go for the cheapest option so to me its useful to compare prices to things. I use TE3 but the items are so cheap that ill probably have to drop it. I wanted to use minetweaker to increase costs of some things, but apparently it wont work with TE3.

That was why i noticed, IMO, that cells were well balanced vs buckets. Same amount per cell, but you gain stackability for the 1 extra ingot. I didnt think it was due to recipes as you can use buckets in recipes. Oh well though, I was just curious.

Im not a fan of items like portable tanks from TE3 myself, i think they are very cheap compared to vanilla buckets. 1 metal ingot, holds 8 buckets. Its not balanced vs buckets at all. Ideally id like to see things that give greater utility cost noticeably more, or have some other drawback.

So that brings up Cells. 4 tin instead of 3 iron to hold 1000 mb of liquid, but... you can stack 16 of them into an inventory slot even when full. was this the idea behind them? To make a bucket that was stackable, and then make them a big more expensive to make up for that?

Now compare this to a low end portable tank from TE3, to hold 8000 mb of fluid in your inventory in IC2, you have to spend 32 tin. With a portable tank, you only need 1 tin (?) and 4 glass.

Does anyone remember if this is why clls were made, and why? To give you a stackable bucket, for a price?

not applying but thought id toss a few things in here in case they might help:

Hunger overhaul can be used on its own and not create the 'everyone just starves early on' problem. I posted to Iguana_man and asked about it, as i didnt use Harvestcraft with it (i wanted more challenge, not to sit around making meals). he said 'thats why I said harvest craft is recommended' but a few others replied and siad its really required to make the game playable at all. OR... you change the configs, allow hoes and make grass drop seeds. Then you have a more normal game style, but food stack sizes are reduced, healing is very slow, and you get hungry faster. Healing when MC is set to Hard is veeery slow, so you still want to make Tin Cans for healing, but its not as hard as just removing regen entirely.

MPS can also be configured along with gt recipes to really nerf it. I lowered the armor values a bit, and increased the power draw of the jetpack by a ton so it becomes more of a utility suit, not a q-suit plus gravisuite chestplate type suit. Which I would agree with Rainbow on... q suit is OP, now with the jetpack its even worse. The worst item for that suit is the damn lux capacitor! the main challenge of dungeons is spawners... spawners rely on you having to light up the area while being attacked. If you can fire off light sources from a distance... almost all danger from spawners is negated.

Finally found someone who also thinks iron chests is OP! woot!

is it possible to jsut visit on a server like this? Id love to be able to just look around and check out how other people here play, evne if i wouldnt apply to actually play on it.

Canned food restores 1 heart when eaten.
    Golden apple restores 2 hearts and adds 2 extra hearts (does not regenerate) for 2 minutes.
    Regeneration/heal potions information can be found on minecraft wiki (idk them).

Canned food restores hearts too?? Holy awesome batman. i guess in my MPS suit I never lost more than a half of a heart at a time, so I never noticed. :) Now with gregtech recipes on mps suits, im tooling around in iron and diamond armor heh. Thanks for the reply, this is handy info and explains why canned food exists. I always thought it was just for auto feeding with a quantum suit.

Does canned food act differently than normal food? Hunger overhaul makes regeneration so slow, im looking for ways to heal. Funny, in 1 year of playing modded minecraft, I have never made a potion or a golden apple (I think these heal your health bar?) because with quantum armor or mps, i never needed to worry about dying.

"My main use for modded is it gives me more REASON to build (A large nuclear power plant, shaped like IRL, A Giant mushroom farm to make methane, a large powerstation with overhead wires, a large pumping station in the ocean to get finite-water ect), since in vanilla, after bases and portals and farms, you just build for the sake of building and I hate that "

This is my issue with modded minecraft. If MPS suits are available on my server and use easy (non gregtech) recipes, i have no *reason* to build a rail line to a friends area so we can travel easier. People always tell me 'if you want to build a rail system, just do it.' but my issue is, i want to build things that solve problems, something I have a reason to build, like you said.

Actually your comment really sums up all my issues with the game, and why balance is important. Most people, i would bet, use te3 for ore processing, but factorization for barrels mostly. Few use factorization's ore processing because, as you said, there is no reason to. Its also why i really dislike mods that, IMO, add power creep intentionally to attract players. (Looking squarely at Thermal Expansion here).

Disabling chunkloaders just causes your players to afk instead, causing greater server load.

whew, took me awhile to check back here.

I dont even know what mod it is, i think its hungeroverhaul, but one mod I have makes people disconnect after being idle for 20 minutes. So we wont have people going AFK.

So far removing chunkloaders has made the game more challenging than any other change I have made. it makes sense because its how SSP worlds run. A chunkloader really increases the speed at which I progress through a world by 10-20x. I cant think of any other item that speeds up the game as much.

Take a solar panel for example. I have 1 solar panel and an MFE. 1 eu/t going into a battery. I log on without chunkloaders and start to mine, the solar panel starts filling the MFE. After 20 minutes (one minecraft day, for simplicity sake) I come back and want to process the stuff I mined. the MFE has 24,000 EU in it, and that is all the power i have to run my stuff with. I am on another 40 minutes for the day, I sleep each night, so I get 72K eu for one real life day's worth of playing.

now add teh chunkloader.

Now one solar panel will put out 48K eu per real life hour. So overnight and the next day while I work, that one solar panel gives me 1,104,000 Eu.

So the chunkloader made it so I could go from 72K eu per day up to 1million eu per day. Not using the chunkloader means I need to make more solar panels, which now uses up my resources. For example, i needed water in my base at the moment and am not using any infinite sources, so i made a railcraft water tank. Without a chunkloader, I had to build 4 of them to keep up with demand. With a chunkloader 1 would have easily sufficed. Now I have to struggle more to keep up, which is more fun.

Do people here play SSP at all? Other than going afk, this is how ssp would run, i honestly think that chunkloaders might be the biggest culprit for ruining the fun for a lot ofpeople.

The railcraft world anchors are definitely better, unless you have an easy way to get ender pearls. Sirus do you know you can change the item ID of what the fuel is for the world anchors? So i assume that means you could make it cost... diamonds? Or energy circuits? :)

Interesting thanks for the reply. So far we are leaving them as 'use them if you want' with 3 of us just opting not to use them. Other than personal anchors and anchor carts from railcraft, etc.

What really got me thinking though, is how much using chunkloaders really increase your resources and ramp up game progression quickly.

In trying to make more balanced and slower game play, it seems i keep coming back to chunk loaders. they really seem to be the elephant in the room that no one talks about, more than any other item, they remove resource scarcity. Auto mining that runs while you log off, tree farms that run while you are at work, etc. In our last world a guy used golems and ore berries, which seemed benign at first, but then he started filling up the public ender chest with essence berries, etc. (DW20 standard pack, what a disaster)

It just seems to come back to the chunkloader. i was thinking of removing world anchors (got rid of all chickenbones mods, i keep getting told that they are a major cause of world corruption) and only allowing personal anchors. IMO this really makes people have to build multiple machines to process things, vs just letting one single machine run overnight, which then increases your need for more resources for machines, while decreasing your output at the same time. So the added resource scarcity is even more than just removing production from your offline time, you need to build more to compensate.

Any opinions here on this?

No loss of EU in cables, so a cable will lose no EU at all, no matter its length. They can also take any amount of EU, as that's currently broken too.

So it works like the old system basically, but with no loss over distance? Or are you saying I can even put HV through a copper cable now? I thought id read some people saying they blew up a bunch of machines by trying to run 10 generators through a copper cable or something like that, are you saying thats not how it works at the moment?

This is why I remove mystcraft from any pack i try, and wont ever use it in any pack I make. 99% of the time it is only used to break other mods. Ive seen hundreds of posts about mystcraft where they used it to provide easy mining, infinite energy, imbalanced resource gathering or whatever. One single time I saw a guy use it to make a base. Actually two, direwolf did it too.

Other than that, its easy teleportation and trying to get to end game as fast as possible. A week ago I saw a guy post a world with an ocean of UU matter with the tagline "take that gregtech". Why would the guy even install it?