Posts by Drashian

As a side effect of some of the changes I made to tools for the next version (updating to new MC Forge hooks), the drill will once again have a damage appropriate to its material (so, much like hitting things with an iron/diamond pick). Unless Alblaka really wants drills to be zero-damage, in which case that's a bug, and it'll get changed back. :S

One big advantage of solar panels and their other green-energy kin is that they're way simpler to set up and maintain. Throw 'em on the ground, hook up a copper cable, bam. Set and forget, running on an unlimited resource. No cooling, no breeders, no math involved. For an advanced user, nuclear reactors are hands-down the way to go. But for a more casual player, ease of setup shouldn't be underestimated. :D

Although I wouldn't object to nuclear reactors being a bit more expensive, looking at your material lists. They do feel like they should be in bloody-expensive-but-high-yield category. Either that or adding another dangerous byproduct, but adding radiation/radioactive waste material is another subject entirely.

I believe rubber trees are spawned in forest / seasonal forest (rare), rain forest (uncommon), and swampland (frequent). Copper appears between layers 10 and 70, with the highest concentrations closer to layer 40, while tin is evenly distributed between layers 0-40. And the default block ID for rubber wood is 243. Hope that helps!

Awesome explanation of an awesome tool. To contribute, some incredibly useful things I've found about the laser.

• Low Focus mode is pretty useless in the general sense, though it's certainly a viable alternative if you run out of power on your mining drill and don't want to stop yet. But it has a huge advantage over even the diamond drill when you need to take out a block while flying with the jetpack, since the breaking power of tools is severely reduced while you're in the air.
    • Now I don't have to make a bow to take out creepers at range. Sure, the chainsaw can kill them in two hits before they explode, but sometimes I miss that second hit. I much prefer staying at range, just so long as I don't miss and hit anything important!
    • Long Range mode. What can I say? It's an all-in-one solution to some of the most annoying problems in Minecraft. Out of torches? Shoot straight up, bam, instant sunlight. Lost? Shoot straight up and rev up the jetpack. Need to get down below level 20 so you can find some diamonds? Put your jetpack in hover mode and shoot straight down.

Wait, there is an automatic pipe retrieval function if a pipe gets stuck?

No there isn't, sorry, what I meant was that it was bugging if it hadn't successfully mined any squares at all before it got stuck. The trigger for the bug was that it normally clears the flag when you pull the drill out and it retrieves a pipe. Since it had no pipes to retrieve, it didn't get to the part where it cleared the flag.

I've uploaded a change for the next version that will fix this. Our drills will now be effective against anything made of rock or iron, like standard pickaxes are. (This has the unfortunate side effect of making drills very effective against machinery. Keep that diamond drill in your inventory when you're wandering around your factories!)

Trees are weird. Since their growth is modeled as a 1/30 (if I remember right) chance of popping out of their respective sapling each time the world goes through and checks, I've found that their growth periods can range anywhere from near-instantaneous to (in uncommon, but not unheard of cases) in-game weeks.

Or maybe it's like a watched pot. I don't think I've ever actually had a tree grow while I was looking at it... 8|

Felt a pang of pride and had to share my new setup. Half an inventory full of iron ingots (legitimately mined, this is in my non-cheating map!) later, I've got a lovely 17x17 (diamond shape) 128EU setup based roughly on four of Viktor_Berg's aesthetically awesome design. 128 solar panels, 4 batboxes, and 1 MFE to collect my winnings. Throw in an LV transformer to turn it back to 32EU pulses so I can wire some of it to my other machines, throw whatever they're not using to a matter generator, and bam. I'm turning sunlight into diamonds. (Or iridium plates, as the case may be.) I can screenshot a disassembly of it if anyone wants, but it's pretty much just what's in this thread already. Awesome stuff. :D

61EU flat array using only an MFE, taking advantage of the fact that:

• 61 x 1EU pulses don't combine to a 61EU pulse, and thus won't fry copper cable or a BatBox. (But I used an MFE anyway since a BatBox wouldn't be able to discharge as fast as it was being fed.)
    • Even if they did, none of the cables actually take >32EU anyway, because of the intelligent pathing in the energy net (and at the moment, cable colors, but that's just to save CPU - it'd work even without them). The sides of the MFE are only taking in 25EU, 5EU, 25EU, and 5EU.

11x11 square, but still 100% space efficient because they can be placed right next to each other diagonally. Yes, I TMI'd this, my real array is only a 32EU. :)

1. They work as regular cables, but with slightly higher loss and much higher capacity (copper can only handle LV, up to 32EU, gold does 128EU).
    2. Pretty much, yep.
    3. The cable between your solar panel and its connected batbox/machine is probably long enough to have energy loss. Anything longer than 4 blocks of copper cable will eat the entire 1EU pulse. (Insulated copper is 1EU loss per 5 blocks.)