Posts by yeganer

My suggestion would be for the River Watermill to create something like a dam for it to function where the difference in water level affects the output.

For it to work you need to have kind of a step in the river and it checks if the dam is valid. For example you need 5 blocks of flat water surface "upstream" and the same amount but lowered down downstream. For dam material one could use construction foam.

Additionally i would rename it to a (River) Water Turbine. Of course one could use several Water Turbines in the same dam but that would decrease their efficiency. So it would only be beneficial if one Turbine couldn't handle all the water.

I think that would be a great mechanic.

Hey guys,

i just wanted to suggest to add the possibility for the Advanced Miner to mine Ores with Silk Touch.
    Reason for it being most other automated mining options have some way to optain the ore as it is and not the mined part of it. I really like the idea of the Advanced Miner but when i found out i can't configure him to use SilkTouch, which in fact i can do with the normal Miner(Iridium Drill).

So some way of achieving Silk Touch would be great since i really like the concept with blacklist/whitelist and i really dont like Quarrys which seem like the best solution elsewise.

I think, i have seen a value of 480 as the maximum heat transfer from boiler to water.

Great addition that we are able to heat the boiler with several Heat exchangers now, makes it a lot easier.

i think the way it can work is to set up the reactor with a storage bus and then have a level emitter controlling the toal amount of fuel rods of each type.
    Another way would be to have a level emitter for the depleted rods in the main ME network and turn on the export buses for the specific fuel rod.
    Important is that it never happens that 2 different types of rods are depleted.

In Version 534 the SteamGen doesn't auto-eject to a canning machine next to it, it doesn't auto eject into the turbine below it either, so something is wrong there...

The ability to customize the output direction would be great.

Like 2 additional Wrench modes, "Set Output" and "Set Input" but i guess that would be a hell of code rewrite

The only reason power plants use water these days is because it is safer. They would run much more efficient if they used some chemical that could be heated to several hundred degree and then cooled back to room temperature.

If i have the time i'll do some research and give you some numbers about the difference between water(steam) and other fluids.

These are great points and i feel that should be respected.

But since these are balancing issues i think the priority should be first implementation and then later some balance update.

As Mateeus1208 said, my suggestion would be to enable the ore washer and centrifuge road like with normal ores.

Macerator: Iridium Ore Block -> Crushed Iridium Ore
    Ore Washer: Crushed Iridium Ore -> Purified Iridium Ore + Tiny pile of Diamond Dust
    Thermal Centrifuge: Purified Iridium Ore -> Iridium Ore + Tiny pile of Diamond Dust

just as a quick example. One could then add 4 or 9 Tiny pile of Diamond dust to create 1 Diamond dust

I get your point that heating such a big Volume takes time.

What i wanted to suggest was to change the way the boiler interacts with the heat system.
    Instead of getting a fixed amount of thermal energy each tick, one could calculate the thermal energy that would be exchanged each tick and transfer that. This should be capped depending on the heat input.

After thinking about it some more time i come to the conclusion that an implementation of a model like this would have some drawbacks. For the system to be 100% physically correct, energy the boiler can accept would be smaller at higher temperatures. Lets say from 25-85 the energy would be >100 heat so it is capped at 100. But after that the heating slows down and at 100 degree the boiler would only accept lets say 50 heat per tick. Here comes the problem with my model:
    The heat, the boiler can accept is basically the heat, the whole Steam Generator can accept and thus, the Steam Generator would have to limit the heat it gets from the Heat Exchanger. So when one of the fixed points is to have the same steam production at 100 degree, one would need less heat to achieve that, increasing the efficiency. But with the new system it wouldn't be possible to put more heat in.

So with these design flaws, i don't expect to see this implemented.

I am really looking forward to see the whole steam to energy cycle implemented. It is a really great addition!

Hey guys,

i submitted a bug report before i found this thread about the Steam Generator. As you can read here i had an idea how to create a more realistic heat-up curve for the steam generator.
    Basically all i did was to take the thermodynamic functions and combine them to calculate the temperature change depending on current temperature and a defined heating temperature.
    The equation i got is:

temp_change = balance_constant / boiler_heat_capacity * ( heat_temp - current_temp )

The effect would be that the boiler temperature saturates at heat_temp. I think setting heat_temp to around 150-200 degree Celsius would be a good. If the temperature increases too much at the beginning, one could of course set a cap for dT.

What do you think of this Idea?

EDIT: to have the same yield at 100 degree Celsius the variables balance_constant and boiler_heat_capacity can be adjusted. I would recommend to also use this formula for the heating of the water when it comes from the boiler. In that case the two equations would be

temp_change_water = water_boiler_balance_constant / ( water_heat_capacity * water_volume) * ( boiler_temp - water_temp )

temp_change_boiler = water_boiler_balance_constant / boiler_heat_capacity * ( water_temp - boiler_temp )

I hope this isn't too much physics for you. I only registered because i think it would be an awesome change ;)