Posts by Max Shen

That would not work as you think with Tesseracts ore teleportpipes. Because you need the Sourcecode of the Mods when you want to prevent only transdimensional Transport (of whatever is the thinking of). Because if you spread things out because of Renderring performance reasons or something else you get a problem....

I suggested a preemptive measure of preventing block placement, rather than changing the block's functionality.

Edit (3/23/2015):
    Yeah, on second thought, the original idea is probably not so useful if the Nether is enabled. Here's my new idea:

• Pahoehoe Lava doesn't dry automatically, you need to use a cold fluid like coolant (or water, but coolant is more fun). Less ticking blocks is always better.
    • Pahoehoe Lava non-source blocks dry into Netherrack.

By the way, you can already use cold fluids to dry Pahoehoe Lava. I just don't see why it needs to dry by itself. In real life, the high temperature gradient causes the lava to dry very quickly but only on the outside, and this newly-hardened outside insulates the interior lava flow, which doesn't dry for months or even years. The time it takes the outsides of the interior lava flow are also exponential due to the increasing insulation.

Apparently, you can also add Thermal Expansion's machines to the EnergyNet with multiple instances of a single ThermalExpansionDelegator, see ic2.api.energy.usage.txt. This means your addon can do the same thing without the middleman block. I haven't looked at Thermal Expansion's API but I'm sure each machine at least shares an interface for dealing with Redstone Flux, and you could have a config switch where each delegator fetches the machine-specific ratio from a text file or something crazy like that.

You will also need a delegator for Thermal Dynamics, but this one must be conductor-type.

I don't see a space in the IC2 API to add custom recipe scanning to the UU system... but if there was one I'm sure some mods would add UU-support (or at least compatability addons). I mean like, an ArrayList of IUURecipeHandler or something like that, and a couple of public methods to manipulate the graph. Maybe it is already in there and I am blind, but from Eclipse's Class File Editor it looks like UU is an internal thing.

Quote from Requia

I seriously want to figure out a way to blacklist tesseract/ender chest across space dimensions. They're really cheaty, I accept them in the normal overworld/nether dynamic because of the chunkloading problem (just can't build super long oil pipelines when stuff vanishes when you aren't around, and can't pipe through dimensions)), but for space we have rockets, and no pipeline would exist in the first place.

You could write a small Forge mod (or Bukkitesque plugin) which checks on world block placement if the dimension is something other than the overworld, then if the block being placed is on your blacklist cancel the placement. Or if you find a mod/plugin which already does this (I'm sure it exists), you could just use that, especially if you already have one installed (having too many checks on every block placement probably affects performance).

Unfortunately, machines exploding and cables melting are not implemented yet because the energy net is still in development. The temporary system is a lossless, limitless, balance-less, and transformer-less contingency because mechanics like loss and EU details are also not implemented yet. This means we have no mechanics to calculate: an insulated tin wire would do the trick. I'm sure the devs will post a big, Biomes O' Plenty style warning when it's time for machines to explode and cables to melt again, and we'll write it up in the wiki as soon as those features are back.

If you just want to make sure the EU/t going through a cable is within the range on the cable's tooltip, you can try seeing if transformers in step-down mode work. I don't use them myself for reasons listed above, but they seem like they should take input up to the highest value in their tooltip from the special-textured side (five dots) and somehow output a maximum of one current at the minimum EU/t in the tooltip for each output side (one dot). I haven't run tests yet, but I should and will probably post back here when I do, for closure.

Aaaah! I forgot about Solar Panels and the Tech Loop! I haven't used Solar Panels myself, so that is why I forgot about them... doh. Although, the only reason I don't use them is because they pale in comparison to nuclear/kinetic power... I don't see why anyone would use them except to power a water pump (you could use watermills, but you would need so much space to power a pump it is even more useless).

About the tech loop. This one is difficult, here's a few (distinct) ideas:

• The Thermal Centrifuge's recipe is changed. Iron is replaced with Refined Iron, the Advanced Machine Casing is replaced with an Ore Washing Plant. Maybe the motor should be changed too, unsure.
    • The Thermal Centrifuge loses its advanced machine casing, and instead requires a block of Refined Iron.
    • You get the first Raw Carbon Fibres by lasering Blocks of Coal on Super-Heat mode.
    • You get the first Raw Carbon Fibres by lasering Blocks of Coal on Super-Heat mode, but this only has a chance of dropping Fibres.

Mine_Sasha, what about a Coal Ball being a compressed Coal Block? Macerating a Coal Block and Compressing a Coal Block both cost 600 EU.

I have a couple of questions for you, Chocohead. 1) Do you think Composite Armour is a good mediator between Metal/Vanilla armour and Nanosuits? Composite Armor lasts longer, for one. I found myself progressing through armour from Leather to Bronze to Bronze/Composite to Diamond/Composite to Nanosuit, or, on my other world, straight from Bronze/Composite to Nanosuit. 2) Don't you have lots of diamonds, anyways? Diamonds are usually not a problem for me as one of the first things I did at my base is to make a Diamond factory.

Also, my Thermal Centrifuges aren't too slow so long as you give them an Inverted Redstone Upgrade (or if you care about energy, a redstone signal) to keep them running. It costs 1EU/T to keep them hot. If you still think Nanosuits should be easier to make and not harder, I trust your expertise. Are you more in favor of status-quo or do you have something else in mind? I think Composite Armour is the answer.

tl;dr suggestions are in white

Single-Use batteries just don't get the love they deserve. They aren't used in any cool recipes, and more, by the time you can make them you already have RE-Batteries unless you have been powering your macerator with redstone! Coal dust should be made by hand, with a hammer on coal. It can still be made in a Macerator, but not in the Extruder since rolling out coal makes no sense. This way, some people might actually use Single-Use batteries before making a generator. By the way, each Single-Use Battery is good for 1200 EU. Redstone dust is good for 800 EU, and a RE-Battery can hold 10000 EU. Crafting Single-Use Batteries is still the same:
    :Cable:
    :Gold Dust: = :RE Battery:x5, x8 if Hydrated Coal Dust (Pretend the Gold Dust is Redstone Dust and the RE Battery is Single-Use Batteries)
    :Coal Dust:

The obvious problem here is that suddenly it is much easier to make Carbon Nanotubes for Rotors or Nanosuits. I propose a reworking of the Nanotube production line, which is a little bit odd to begin with. Here is how you make Nano-stuff right now:

• Macerate Coal/Coal Blocks to get Coal Dust
    • Shapelessly craft 4 Coal Dust to get Raw Carbon Fibre
    • Shapelessly craft 2 Raw Carbon Fibres to get Raw Carbon Mesh
    • Compress Raw Carbon Mesh to get Carbon Plate
    • Craft whatever with the Raw Carbon Meshes or Carbon Plates

I advance this replacement production line:

• Compressed Coal Ball + Thermal Centrifuge -> Raw Carbon Fibre; note that each Raw Carbon Fibre now holds 8 Coal (Compressed Coal Ball = 8 Coal Dust + 1 Flint in Compressor)
    • Raw Carbon Fibre (x1) + Metal Former (Rolling) -> Raw Carbon Mesh
    • Compress Raw Carbon Mesh to get Carbon Plate

The recipes make more sense to me this way. You get the fibre by centrifuging the impurities from coal which you have already compressed a little to make stronger, with a Flint core as the catalyst (this leaves nanotubes, aka. fibre). You roll the fibre up into a mesh, then compress that mesh with over 9000 Gibbl, and get the Carbon Plate.

The unfortunate side effect is that Nanotechnology becomes significantly more expensive, as it now is not possible to make nanotubes from macerated coal by hand. The total cost of one is 8 Coal, 1 Flint and 24853 1/3 EU (29120 EU if you want it automatic, since no compressing Coal to Coal Blocks) :

• 4800 EU to macerate each coal individually, but I assume the player macerates coal blocks. 600 EU + 1 Coal Block in Macerator gives 9 Coal Dust, so 8 Coal Dust therefore costs 533 1/3 EU. Note that you cannot compress coal into coal blocks (why not???), so that must be done by hand/another mod or you will have to use the 4800 EU.
    • 600 EU to compress the Coal Ball
    • The Centrifuge is tricky. Assuming it is already warm enough, I observe ~48EU/t for about ~22 seconds. This gives approximately 21120 EU for the one required operation. Warming or idling a Centrifuge costs 1 EU/t.
    • 2000 EU to roll out a Raw Carbon Mesh
    • 600 EU to compress the Carbon Mesh

For comparison, the current Carbon Nanoplate costs 8 coal and 5400 EU or 1133 1/3 EU using Coal Blocks:

• The same 4800 EU or 533 1/3 EU with Coal Blocks.
    • 600 EU to compress the Carbon Mesh

I assume when this mechanic was implemented Coal Blocks weren't a thing, so that partially justifies the increase in cost but possibly not enough for the change between 5400 EU and 24853.33 EU, more than a 4.5fold increase in power consumption. Fully automatic processing justifies the increase from 24853.33 EU to 29120 EU in my opinion. For reference, 24853.33 EU is the equivalent of about 31 redstone dust, 20.7 Single-Use Batteries, or 2.4853 RE-Batteries. 5400 EU is equivalent to 6.75 redstone dust, or 0.675 RE-Batteries.

Thoughts?

(Bump since it is pinned)
    It is very possible that I just don't know the use of these items.

Items:
    obsidian plate
    All dense plates except iron and lead
    Ashes
    Lithium Dust, Lithium Fuel Rod, Tritium Fuel Rod (But I think these are just WIP)
    Plasma Launcher (also thinking it is WIP)
    Uranium-235 could be more useful in its non-tiny form, IRL enriched uranium is 20% or more Uranium-235 (here it's like, 5% max)

Blocks:
    Basalt

Machines:
    Solid Canning Machine (b/c Fluid/Solid Canning Machine) I guess it's twice as efficient but still don't use it

I haven't really started playing Industrial-Craft² yet, but a sluice sounds like a good idea to me. For balance, consider these extra suggestions and counters:
    Dirt, sand, and gravel are nonrenewable... wait... nevermind.* Then, how about it doesn't require any input? Real sluices work by catching the valuable metals passively.

• Passive, no interface or inputs
    • It must be in a river biome
    • There must not be another sluice nearby (it would get laggy and rivers abused), in the adjacent chunks perhaps?
    • It must span the entire width of the river, and still fit in one-two chunks (it can't be the length of the river!)
    • Built with non-tile-entity blocks, and transforms to a tile entity only when requirements are met.
    • It works by stealing nearby ores, for balance, so it won't work forever. Whenever the sluice produces something, it converts an ore block underground into stone.
    • More lossy than manual mining. For example, for each gold ore block replaced by stone, only 5-7 nuggets are recieved.
    • Only works on metals, not crystals or other
    • Slooow, maybe it ticks once every ten minutes?

Anyways, if it is a sluice and not a pan or rocker box, it should be passive.

*It appears that this mod is all about making things renewable and automatic. :D