Posts by Max Shen

Good evening,

I was just reading VermillionX's omnicritique of the current state of IndustrialCraft2 and it occurred to me that the Magnetizer should at least power any rails on top of it.

Look, I don't have Railcraft on my 1.12.2 world. Until I find a Mesa biome or expand my Aurelia plot I'm low on gold.

I just do it out of habit. The practice comes from battle.net, where the awesome people (moderators, officials) got to use this great blue coloring which looked better on the dark background of the forum. I guess I feel a little bit more awesome when my posts are in blue. Actually, now that I think about it, coloring my posts blue is probably not worth the trouble of taking extra time and characters. On the other hand, it does force me to read over my text before posting.

It gets obnoxious when quoting.

The colors don't carry over when I quote, do they?

I don't have Buildcraft installed, but it works with Electric Sorting Machines, Item Buffers, and Chests. (I use the Electric Sorting Machine)
    Maybe you set the Ejector Upgrade to the wrong side? You only need one, by the way. Also, make sure it is the yellow Ejector Upgrade. In the worst case, Buildcraft pipes may not work (if that is so, it probably deserves a bug report).
    Finally, this thread may have a better home in the Support forum.

What is the forum policy on necroposting? What if the thread is newly relevant? What if we want it bumped? What if we have the answers that nobody gave when the OP asked? What if we just want to answer for posterity? How old is obsolete? Is it OK to reply after a thread has been revived? Can you get in trouble for necromancy? Is it OK to expose the necromancer for his evils? What are the consequences? Will a dragon wielding a large Bodacious-Anti-Necroposting hammer appear at level 9001? Will said dragon instead roll over in its grave in the hirez forums?
    We should have a necropolicy sticky on every board, regardless to the answers to these questions.

Why would any modpack ever have Enderstorage, Railcraft, and IC2 in the same pack? It seems redundant since Enderstorage + Teleporters obsolete Railcraft (which I just started using yesterday). Also, I looked up the Enderstorage mod and apparently there are 256 different channels, plus another 256 per player! Ridiculous! That makes for 512 individual channels in SinglePlayer... and they are inter-dimensional, too! But, since I just installed Railcraft I probably won't be using Enderstorage any time soon. I'm too busy making my rail factory (now that I have a charcoal factory next to the forest). I already have a neat theme in mind where the rails go on IC2 scaffolds.

I installed Railcraft because my jetpigs don't carry items, and vanilla minecarts are tricky/got boring for long-distance item transport.

I like the cactus idea. Elecktrums is unnecessary because of Redwheat. Redwheat yields Redstone Dust, which is already a primary battery (600 EU in a Generator). I feel "Flower Wisdom" is overpowered.

better enderchests with colorcoding which are automatable

Wow. Sounds overpowered! I could carry just one Silk Touch Pickaxe and one Enderchest which unloads to my item storage in the spawn chunks, and go on a very long journey without suffering from a full inventory!
    Also on SMP other people could put a hopper under my Enderchest while I am away, since it is automatable...

As I am sure many of you know, I have not been around for a while. This has been do to many things, most primarily irl busyness.
    Since many people have asked for the src codes of my mods for updating, I have decided to make them open src.
    Here is a link to those srcs: http://www.mediafire.com/?i8w0il1oa4ww3o4
    I don't know when I'll be back guys, but I won't be gone forever.

Not sure how long ago he updated his About Me, nor am I sure that this mod is in that link or that the link is still valid. He hasn't been seen since: "Sunday, September 7th 2014"

steam is the lowest industrial tech level i can possibly see

There was actually a lot of "industrial" technology before steam power came to prominence in England, in the eighteenth century. As far as direct predecessors, water power was by far more important than steam power for most of the industrial revolution (in England; the industrial revolution is really an English thing). Other mostly European countries who Industrialized would rely on mostly water power until the early-ish nineteenth century.

Industry:

• assembly lines, manufactured parts, mass media, mints and paper money, canals

Power production:

• Water wheel, wind tower, animal engines, treadwheels, internal combustion engine, dams (with water mills)

Applied Industry:

• Grain mills, sawmills, hydraulic mining, ore mills (function like macerators), pumps, cotton gins (pre-whitney), seed drill, Blast furnii, cranes, elevators, pile driver

Discoveries/Inventions:

• Steel, explosives, magnetism, matches, concrete, chrome, paper (from wood, silly!)

Military:

• Rockets, wooden ballistics, land mines, naval mines, crossbows, firearms, shipyards

I have omitted things which were insignificant to industry, such as static electricity, the corporation, clockwork, or the Aeolipile. Also omitted are concepts which were not implemented until after the rise of steampower in the 1700s, such as the tank, torpedo.

Nothing (that I know of) calls these, but they are in the API.

A summary of natural rubber production:
    You will notice in the picture that they only cut the bark for 1/2 the circumference of the tree. When they are done with one half (~5 years), they start tapping the other half while the first regrows. The actual tapping is done over something like a meter high section of the tree, always at an incline (it looks like 30 degrees). They send workers to collect the sap every day, and cut a new strip every two days, for the entire lifetime of the tree (apparently like 20 years). Rubber trees live exclusively in the tropics so it is year-round. Also the tapping panel (the missing bark) is always a certain height above ground, a little more than one meter, and the depth of the cut is also constant (if you cut too deep the bark will not regrow). The actual latex is not exactly extracted, but it is pushed out by internal pressure as a liquid which drips down that slant into the collection cup.

The liquid latex is transported to a nearby processing facility before coagulating, where it is poured into molds and treated with formic acid. The resulting block of solid latex is rolled out into rubber sheets, which are then piled into cubes, boxed, and shipped to whoever wants it.

A lot of rubber we are familiar with is further processed by vulcanization, which is what Goodyear (as in Goodyear tires) is famous for. It is just charring rubber which is treated with sulfur, resulting in hard rubber such as the rubber on electric plugs or tires.

Learn more:
    http://ecoport.org/ep?SearchTy…eIndexView&earticleId=644
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber_tapping

i don't quite see how this feature is useful

The only use I had in mind for the original post was a Nether Brick factory, and in retrospect it is not very useful since you still have to mine the Netherrack. (I'm just discovering the Advanced Miner, though!). I've revised the OP.

pahoehoe lava is made by cooling regular lava, not heating it

This was an accident. Not sure what I was thinking.

it would make more sense for it not to harden at all in the Nether.

I have since revised the OP, now suggesting that it not harden by itself at all. Instead, we can make Netherrack generators using the non-source blocks.

power yourself off the local lava, then use the pahoehoe

Geothermal Generators are twice as efficient than Liquid Heat Exchangers, a fun fact I recently recorded on the wiki.

Why not obsidian... cooled in some machine[?]

I think it would make even more Minecraftian sense to have the hypothetical machine take normal Lava as an input. Plus, you can't have Basalt and Obsidian come from the same Lava, since Basalt is mafic while Obsidian is felsic. Most people probably wouldn't care, but it would bother me a little.