Posts by Ldog

I don't hate EE. In fact I used it in my 1.81 and 1.0 builds. But I don't think it's fair to say that making diamonds in IC2 is anywhere near as easy as making them in EE, in terms of neither time nor material.

No, but then you don't need as many diamonds with just IC2 as you do with EE. I'm still on the fence about whether I will continue to use EE (because there is nothing better than quantum armor & a laser rifle), but it is still a pretty awesome mod.

I'd like to comment on EE, the only reason I originaly downloaded it was to do something with the 60 odd double chests of cobble and dirt from the BC quarry (I still currently prefer it's clearing, I tend to 'move in' to the first 64x64 hole.). I havn't used it at all since Forestry came on the scene :) Although even now moving sand to dirt and back and forth might be useful.

No need to be embarrassed. I just can't bring myself to let all that dirt and cobble rot away but I get tired of storing it too. The philosophers stone gives a use for it.
    Handy storage too if you think about it. Convert everything into diamonds and what not to save space and then transmute into lower materials as needed. I am anal about my landscape and it takes 3/4 stack of dirt to refill the average creeper hole!

Considering too that I've got IC2, BC, Forestry, EE, Railcraft, Stevescarts, Thaumcraft, Minecolony, Twilight Forest, Powercraft and a ton of other small mods running and everyone adds their own tools, materials and other widgets inventory management has become a colossal pain in the ass for me. I have to think very carefully about what activity I am going out to do everytime I leave the house and pack accordingly. Hell, even Mo' Creatures takes up inventory space cause nothing sucks more than trying to run home for an apple and saddle and back before that rare wild pegasus despawns.

The only mobile I am seeing in my mobile mining operation is the amount of jackassing around I have to do to load and unload stuff. I'm pretty sure it would be faster to mine the old fashioned way.

For inventory management alone EE will probably make my keepers list.

I know all of this has nothing to do with the original thread topic...how did we get here anyway?

I like BC-IC2 Crossover mod, simply because they are engines that instead of using coal or oil or fuel to power themselves, they use EU as their fuel, And its only logical that the higher tiers of generators should overheat due to the massive amount of energy they produce and pump per revolution.

Its a mix of both IC2 and BC instead of just being IC2 on top of Buildcraft.

And one thing i would like to add, its that i actually hate how conversion has been going in a 1:1 ratio, being a good follower of the church of balance i still think there should be a 5 or 10% power loss during energy conversion (but thats just me).

Oh don't get me wrong, I think Silentdeth's implementation is outstanding. It manages to maintain the flavor of both.
    Forestry is also a very nice hybrid. It works by itself, with BC, with IC2, or with both, but you get to the most out of it with all 3 mods installed. That in and of itself makes it awesome.

I still would like to see a straight IC2 on top of Buildcraft (transformer that outputs Mj) although BC is starting to grow on me too.

I agree about some (not necessarily the amount) loss but bear in mind there already is loss; you need to provide and power a pump.
    So the heat production is your loss.

So, your complaint is, you shouldn't have to cool an engine because it's your subjective opinion that some internal imbalance exists?
    Why not just TMI yourself what you need as a "reward" for "putting up" with all the "hassle" these mods put you through? :rolleyes:

I don't see what the problem is.
    I like IC2's power system and I am comfortable with it. I too would like just a transformer to slap into my IC2 grid and be done with it.

Also Powercraft seems like a viable alternative to BC (and RP) in general (some features may be lacking, and PC has some features the others lack). I use it for logic gates (in lieu of RP) and a few other interesting items.
    I haven't had a chance to play with the other features yet. Also as there is no power cost for any of the PC stuff this may not appeal to people who think there should be a cost associated to everything (I am actually one of those people myself, which is why I'm still evaluating a lot of mods). Just throwing it out there for consideration.

As mentioned Forestry has some crossover, but then peat-fired generators are useful to run to provide ash for fertilizer, so there goes a reason to use BC power.

I think a lot of us would like to see a unified power system but it isn't that simple since which one should be "the one". Also whereas I am sure Alblaka, Spacetoad, and Eloraam are all proud of their own systems (as well they should be) it would be unreasonable to expect 2 of them to just drop theirs for the 3rd.

Conversion mods allow everyone to mix and match to their own preference. What could be better?

Why would you use gold wire? Copper works just fine on my layout with no loss.

What MJEvans and you were discussing with the transformers. Don't you have to use gold cable with 128 EU packets?
    Or was he just saying to replace all the batboxes in your setup with them? I guess I'm a bit confused.

I am seeing why not to use tin though; it slags in t-storms. Seems tin is really only for solar power.

Yes, your setup does works great as is. Charged the MFE up in no time, once I realized everything I was doing wrong (trans facing wrong sides, not properly redstoning, couple bat boxes facing wrong way lol)
    It was a very good learning experience for me building it. Now when I get around to building that nuke plant I won't blow it up instantly (well not because of improper wiring at least)

Windgen is definitly very powerful. Just a single generator at around 110ish (I didn't go to the top but ran 39 tin cable from the batbox on my roof) is enough to power a starter shop (1 each extractor, furnace, macerator, compactor, canner) almost continuously.

Exception in thread "Minecraft main thread" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.a(SourceFile:265)
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(SourceFile:648)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
    Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.NoSuchFieldError: nameReference
    at ModLoader.init(ModLoader.java:851)
    at ModLoader.AddAllRenderers(ModLoader.java:189)
    at afq.<init>(afq.java:80)
    at afq.<clinit>(afq.java:9)
    ... 3 more
    Caused by: java.lang.NoSuchFieldError: nameReference
    at ic2.common.IC2Crops.registerCrops(IC2Crops.java:37)
    at mod_IC2.initialize(mod_IC2.java:586)
    at ic2.platform.Ic2.load(Ic2.java:65)
    at ModLoader.init(ModLoader.java:824)
    ... 6 more

So I'm guessing there is a conflicting mod editing the afq class. Anyone have any ideas?

That's a much better example than the Wiki had (last time I looked anyway, havent checked lately). Looking at the Wiki when I was starting out I thought just what the OP thought and what is the point of high voltage transmission in IC2 then. Once you get past that though and see how it works (or get better examples) it is quite the opposite.

It is easy to look at the EU lost per tile and no further and I think that is what some people do. If you look at it as a percentage of power lost instead it is a no-brainer.

LOL. Some of you people really amuse me.
    You get all offended when someone says "why not just use TMI?" (use NEI I say :P) and then you turn around and say the same thing, but your threshold of when it is cheating and you might as well just use TMI is "THE RIGHT ONE"

For everyone hating on EE (and I agree it could use more balance, conversions should involve loss) try playing with just EE. It takes forever to get enough dark matter to make stuff. Besides materials people tend to forget that energy and time are also resources (granted EE you can energy pretty much for free, but then so does IC2). Cobblestone being a renewable resource is a vanilla issue. Wood & plants being renewable, well that is kinda the idea of plants, but I believe their usefulness was scaled back (could be wrong). Granted you can combine BC/Powercraft, Thaumcraft/RP, Forestry & EE to make it all automatic. Add IC2 in to make it produce double. I'm sure we can fit railcraft, steves carts, Milleniare and Minecolony in there somewhere to make it even more powerful (did I leave anybody out?)

You can make the game play itself and be completeley uneccessary. If you find enjoyment in that who am I to tell you you're wrong.
    You don't build a Rube Goldberg machine because it does anything useful or efficiently; you do it because it is fun.
    All of us on this forum (I'm going to go out on a limb here and say we all use IC2, call it a hunch) want some degree of automation in our Minecraft game or we wouldn't be here. How much is an individual choice.

So anyway, to the OP, very cool & clever idea. Regardless if I would use it or not, I have to admire it for those 2 points. Thanks for sharing.

Well wouldn't the problem with doing that be that you can't run gold more than 2 meters without losing power?
    Or are you guys talking about feeding the transformer some distance away from the generator with tin cable?

As someone new to Minecraft mods who jumped in the deep end of the pool (modloader alone is reporting around 60 mods I have running at any given time) I have to say IC2 is one of the better documented mods. The tutorials on the wiki along with the info there and these forums have been plenty.

Since you mentioned Buildcraft I am still struggling with, it is a great mod, but there is a bit of a learning curve and the documentation is lacking.
    That pdf...not going to go there.
    Not hating on Spacetoad or BC just stating from someone new to the mods perspective. It is enough to write and share a mod, writing documentation isn't fun and a lot of modders don't want to be bothered with it and you need to respect their time.

Actually LexManos is the Main Programmer of the forge lately. She only does what she needs, and sometimes looks into problems. But since many contributors to the forge have own Mods to work with they can't maintain it completly. So basically neither SpaceToad nor Eloraam have any control over forge (well SpaceToad does the public packing and such things. So Forge Maintainer mainly is LexManos... you may have noticed it, because a new forge-update was released the time eloraam was on vacation (which even caused RP to not work properly).

No, I didn't know that actually. Does make me feel better.

Actually Forge gives developers more options to decide. You would most likely not be able to play BC, IC2 or RP together because they may modify the same baseclasses (well IC2 not sure, but BC and RP definitly).

That's exactly why I care (well BC, IC2 and a ton of other mods).

Honestly, what's the issue? It does't influence anything if Eloraam adds a set of hooks to Minecrafts basefiles via Forge, it will probably even imporve MCs performance XD
    The only valid argument is, it increases the wormload necessary to port MCForge.
    Which shouldn't pose an issue for most IC-users, given i tend to update as last of the tekmods ^^'

Speaking of updates. It would be nice if there was a way to just generate the ores you want from the ore dictionary (mod suggestion, anyone?)
    So for instance we could start playing with a newly generated 1.1 world without waiting for IC2 to be updated and then when IC2 is updated you just drop the mod in and dont need to regen chunks to get your uranium.
    Sorry I know that isn't exactly on topic (and I know, how could one even consider MC without IC2, the horror!).

I don't really care what she does as long as it doesn't drive other modders away from MCForge.

I don't use RP, mainly because of Eloraam's heavy-handed attitude.
    Her mod, her rules, fine. I don't have to use it. Nothing to see here, move along.

What does deeply concern me is the fact that someone who is so self-serving has control of the Forge.
    For lack of an official API, (and face it the rate they are going it isn't coming anytime soon) Forge has become as critical as Modloader.

The reason we make and use mods is to have choices the devs didn't give us.
    This kind of attitude and behavior is completely at odds with that reason.

Great thread. I would never have given serious thought to windpower if not for reading it.
    So I tried out Headhunters setup and it works great.

Seems like all the batboxes are unneccesary though. Could wire 5 windgens into a single batbox using tin cable 39 or less and then feed the batboxes into the transformers as normal.
    Is there a reason to avoid tin cable? I'm still pretty new at IC.
    I've gotten myself zapped but it doesn't seem to cause fires or anything else bad (or have I just been lucky?)

Just noticed on here, that you can use 3 tin ore instead of 3 iron for the bucket.....

EDIT: The extractor takes refined iron for the machine block, not just regular iron :)

Noticed that too, and was doing it that way at first, but I noticed I seem to be more short on tin than iron usually.
    I guess which is better depends what other mods you use as well. Forestry mod uses a lot of bronze.
    If you use Equivilant Exchange then definitly make it out of iron (since you can't transmute copper and tin)

forge 1.2.4 modified how things burn (found out the hard way because it was incompatible with mods that say change the fire behavior back to the old infinite way)

I have had my rubber trees burn down, leaves and all, but I of course wasn't trying to cause it.
    A lightning strike took out the wool roof on a nearby building and the fire spread to the nearby rubber trees.

I believe I still had 1.2.4 installed , but it was around the time I noticed the issue with it and nature overhaul, and so I reverted to 1.2.2

It is possible the roof started burning when I had 1.2.4 and the trees only when I reverted since I was in my workshop during the storm, I started having crashing issues and the logs showed issues with "can burn" repeatedly. So by the time I got the files fixed and popped my head out to see what the hell was burning everything was on fire.

Thanks very much for this.
    To everyone complaining, craftguide and NEI serve different purposes, and they work fine side by side.
    As pointed out NEI doesn't show everything you can do.
    Especially the macerator, extractor and other recipes RichardG added to craftguide are a tremendous help.

The next version should be fully compatible with block ID extenders. I tested using Robinton's 4096BlockIDs but should work with any extender.

Awesome. Thanks so much. I won't have to sweat blocks being tied up by stuff I will never use just because I need 2 things out of 20 from a particular mod.
    I'm sure a lot of people will really appreciate this.