Posts by Punnikin

Shoot at a ghast with a mining laser. Miss a bit. Unload a lava lake over your head. Yup, working as intended.

Shoot at a ghast with a bow. Oh yeah, gravity. He'll wait for the next shot. Plink a zombie pig instead. Well hell, there goes that picnic I was planning. At least his family will eat well.

Shoot anything, and I mean anything, with a MAIMER. Hit, it's dead. Just dead, not limping and pissed off. It might have even vaporized whatever the poor thing may have dropped, but you're alive. Miss, no lava rains down on your head, you aren't buried in sand, not even a chipped block. Seems the projectile is superheated and disintegrates on contact with solid or granular matter. Well, that cost a bit but you can try again.

Almost forgot... the nano saber would definitely not lose usefulness. It's a lot cheaper to use, albeit a much shorter range. Costs less on a miss too, so you won't have to worry about swinging wildly or being forced to wear a Lappack instead of that nifty Quantum Armor you saved up for.

Here's an idea to offset the OP quality of a Geiger counter: handling uranium can and will make you very very sick if not handled and stored properly. If you want the realism of being able to track down uranium deposits, you should lose a few teeth in the process.

I submit to you a weapon built with only the finest of materials (Iridium plating, diamond-honed guidance rails, etc.) and powered with the most noble of bodywear, the Lappack. This weapon uses energy drawn from the Lappack to power a series of electromagnetic coils (copper wire made from macerated copper dust and compressed, wound around a ceramic core <-- new material!) to propel pellets made from refined iron, magnetized with the handy dandy magnetizer and infused with redstone (glowstone optional) for that extra bit of burn.

Yes, the ammunition is expensive, yielding only 8 shots per ingot, but no creature can withstand an assault of this magnitude! A peice of perfectly balanced, intricately formed refined iron is propelled at hyper-sonic speeds, superheated by friction, and slams into its victim with a force previously thought to be impossible. Or at the very least, utterly disgusting.

Due to the insane amount of power required to operate this weapon, it will drain a Lappack in 100 shots and cannot maintain a charge internally. Therefore it cannot, sadly, act as a standalone weapon, but once the weapon has a power source, nothing can stand it its way. The MAIMER also requires a cooldown period between shots for several reasons, including complete meltdown of the main components, severe burns to the hand, face, and neighborhood, and a really bad smell. Please do not try to power this weapon with lava. Let us just say it doesn't work very well and leave it at that.

There have been reports of the user of one of these marvels of destruction feeling some adverse health effects due to repeated exposure to magnetic fields and perhaps some deafness due to a sudden increase in air pressure from the shockwave, but we here at Notcher* Weaponry feel that these reports have little to no merit, as the complainants generally are vomiting mutants with bulging eyes, and that just sounds to us like bad breeding.

Thank you for your time, future customer.

Thank you Alblaka for that actual reply. I was mainly curious as to whether it was a balance issue or a game mechanic. I didn't intend for this to turn into an insulting mess at all. Somehow I was at fault for this (and I do NOT fear flame wars) and I'm genuinely sorry I even bothered asking.

I wonder why that ridiculously stupid Idea didnt went to the Suggestionforum?

Hey, while you're ganging up on the new guy needlessly, perhaps you should take the time to read the post. It wasn't a suggestion. I was asking a question in hopes of getting a reasonable answer. Since neither of you have the answer, or are reasonable, please stop replying to this post. Perhaps someone with a clue will jump in and post something constructive. Or at least intelligible.

Solar panels underground are unrealistic even in minecraft. Dont come with more stupid idea's.

First off, there is no need to be rude. You have an asshole like everyone else, no sense showing it off. It's nothing special.

Secondly, solar panels and solar collectors work off ALL light, so it is absolutely not unrealistic. If anything it's more realistic. I gave a previous example of a solar powered calculator. They do exist and they do operate in artificial light.

Finally, ideas should not have an apostrophe.

As I stated, the light given off by glowstone is equivalent to sunlight and should be a viable light source for solar panels. Same with jack-o-lanterns. Light level 16.

No, I have not heard of one, spaced properly or not. This is because due to physics, you cannot generate enough light to power a solar panel with that solar panel. However, since thee are natural light generating blocks here, why not make the most of them?

Yeah, I know. Mining machines, diamond drills, lappacks, mining lasers! Short of EE jewels, we can get downright destructive. However, my feet hurt and I'm old.

Make it complicated to build. A dozen bogeys per track, 2 tracks, gotta make the cab and chassis, specially built engines, big ol' kickass blade and/or bucket for excavation, and fuel. Especially fuel. Lots of it.

Hop in, don't set coordinates or put down markers or anything as lame as all that. Jot down your coordinates, drive until you wanna turn, then turn. Anything that gets in the way is no longer in the way. Trees, animals, gardens, houses, nothing argues with the blade. Great for leveling that plot of land you want to build (or rebuild, you crazy bastard) your dream home on, and you have the satisfaction of knowing you polluted the air for the privilege. You can also accessorize, making it into a tractor to plant, harvest, irrigate, or cut a jagged swath across the countryside. Oh, and a trailer with a BC collector pipe to pick up the mess is optional.

Please, dearest Alblaka. Make me a bulldozer. With dyeable wool seats.

And a jukebox.

Any miner worth his salt will not have a substantial shortage of tin. Only pickaxes. Therefore, making cells (16 for 4 tin) isn't that big of a drain on the resources, especially when it comes to power.

Hydrolized water cells are a monstrous waste, in my opinion. The power loss, the time spent charging them, etc. Bah, I say. Bah. As much disdain I have for water generators (geothermal or solar are better) I would have to choose water cells. The loss of tin is negligible and the power output for that loss far outweighs the extra mining.

Besides, your mother lied to you. Macerating will not make you go blind.

Seriously, I must ask this. Solar energy is derived from light. Any light. That's why solar calculators work well in office buildings. It would be a viable power source even in underground lairs since glowstone and jack-o-lanters give off the same amount of light as the sun, torches run a close second. Light is light, even if not generated by a ball of burning gas.

I love to live underground and sometimes it might be nice to have an alternative to geothermal and water. Sure, solar is expensive but it's also zero maintenance. Properly set up it's also an excellent source of power. Even if the power output was reduced as a penalty for using artificial light it might make life easier on those of us who live like hermits.

And, since I don't want to make a separate post about this unless I have to, is it possible to heat up a feeder reactor using the heat given off by another reactor? Essentially making 2 feeders heat each other?

Using BC, RP2 and an automatic crafting table and those wonderful power converters you can set up an automatic lava cell refiller in the nether. Obviously, find a lava source. There might be a couple there. Geothermal generator to converter running a BC pump, attached directly to the pump. This will feed it lava directly without needing those messy pipes.

Run a pipe to a stack of 2-3 tanks or attach those directly to the pump as well. Redstone deployer takes buckets of lava from the tank, restone filter pipes it to a chest filled with empty cells. Yay tin!

Automatic crafting table (fed with the recipe and powered by a redstone engine) will fill the lava cell as soon as the ingredients are available. Redstone engines pump the cells out of the crafting table into a receiving chest, a filter sends the empty bucket back to the deployer.

Wire all of this together with a redstone sequencer (I prefer to use 2 engines for the removal of the filled cells so I can run it twice as fast and keep the engines and the filters/deployer on separate circuits) and it's fully automatic. Edited to add this: Running the engines on a sequencer, staggered so they don't cycle at the same time, will double output and the engines will never overheat. They won't even turn green.

You have to attend it for a bit since it won't run on a chunkloader thanks to the nether being a separate world but it fills the cells pretty fast and it can be nearly risk free if you enclose the entire mess in a cobblestone housing.

I know it sounds a bit complicated but producing a lava cell every second or so while you refill your charging station or whatever you have set up there to keep you occupied for 5 minutes can save you a lot of cave crawling searching for new sources of lava.

If I hadn't lost my savegame in a corruption I'd take a screenie of my setup. It was pretty sweet and extremely useful since I lived underground. Solar falls apart when your floor is at 15.