Posts by Adam Novagen

I see. So IC² is still going strong, just shaky because of the early adoption for MC1.6. That I can understand, as not much else is working properly with it either; Mojang really threw a stupid curve ball with this one. Still, my friends and I are patient, and enjoying vanilla for now, so we'll just wait until the builds catch up. No hurry, brah, we're on Minecraft time :D

I do with there was an easy way to tell which builds were compatible with which Minecraft version, though, rather than just trial-and-error installing multiple packages or waiting for "somebody who knows" on the forum :B

'Ey all. I've been out of the Industrial loop since way back in the 1.4.5 days, when the eNet code was so broken that solar panels could blow up tin cables and create an infinite power loop in an MFE. Tonight I checked the wiki, and at first glance it looked as though the mod was dead; however, after digging around these forums it seems that the old "public release" system is no longer being used, and that we're on a new, Forge-like build system instead (time to update the Downloads page on the wiki, y'think?).

So, what's the scoop on this new build system? I tried to find a post to explain when it started and what it's about, but didn't find much, particularly with my thin 3AM patience (is there a secret blog I don't know about?). Is good ol' IC² still running hot and working with MC 1.6.2? How are the eNet problems? How's the mod team handling the new "TIME TO MICROMANAGE EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF ART YOU EVER MADE" methodology with the unstitched tile images? What's been going on in the Industrial world while I've been messing about with trains and quarries?

Yeah, you know, this is seriously starting to tick me off.

There are two ways of reporting bugs. There's "omg wires dont werk dis ting is crap halp fix pls" and then there are pleasant, well-thought-out and civil posts that actually give some information. Thing is, every single one of these civil posts that I find is greeted with snotty, arrogant replies of "search function" and "there are already threads on this r u stupid herp de derp." I've spent the last 20 minutes FOLLOWING these relinked threads from the holier-than-thou posters, and discovered that almost all of their oh-so-special links simply dumped me into OTHER threads where they had already spat out the same "lrn2search" crap.

I understand: sometimes people just don't bother looking around, and it can be annoying. But that is absolutely no reason to treat all bug reporters like dirt, simply because somebody, somewhere, already knows about the issue. I've even tried using the search bar, and all it does is deliver me to more threads where somehow, a select few individuals have already become aware of the issues presented, and simply give the thread author a slap in the face for not having dug through every single archive entry, blog, feed, twitter and god-knows-what-else on the obscure chance that what they have to say may have already been mentioned in some form.

Also, regarding issues, at this point I have to say that I'm more than a bit disappointed in this 106 release. I have enormous respect for the IC² modding team. They're doing this on their own time, for no actual reward, just so that we can have a good time on Minecraft. They're really under no obligation to ever update this again, because it's all being done because they want to do it, not because we're paying them. We're not "entitled" to IC² in any way, it's a GIFT to us, and creating a Minecraft mod of this scale is an astoundingly daunting task, especially in view of the recent changes to MC that basically required a complete redesigning of the SP/MP system.

That said, the more I read about this update, the more I hear the words "known issue." At this point, honestly, there are so many "known issues" that I'm left wondering how in the world anyone ever thought this mod was ready to launch. I mean good lord, cables frying for no reason, a near-complete lack of audio, jetpack issues, severe ghost wire problems, nonstop explosions that shouldn't even happen in the first place... As of right now, IC² should still be very much in beta, and is quite simply a mess. Bugs happen, mistakes happen, I understand this, but really I don't know how THIS much slipped through the loop. Again, while we don't "deserve" IC² as something that should simply be given to us as a handout because-we-want-it, if you're going to release something and claim it as a full, working post-beta release, make sure it is a full, working and post-beta release!

Rant over. Sorry if that seemed rude at all, I don't mean any disrespect to anyone here and I certainly will be sticking with IC² due to how much I enjoy and admire it. I just felt those things needed to be said.

I can confirm that this bug is most definitely still alive and well in 1.106. I have a setup of 117 solar panels, which I then connected to an MFE... And the cables promptly fried. I then proceeded to take electrocution damage for several minutes after, and the MFE is even now charging even though it is not connected to any power source at all. Furthermore, removing it and replacing it does no good whatsoever, it simply continues to charge. Have I just completely wasted the last week gathering the materials for these solar panels due to completely bugged wiring?

(Oh in case anyone's wondering, no, the output face of the MFE was not facing or connected to the tin cables in any way; I'm not that silly.)

Alright, did some proper testing. I opened a creative map, and I lined up a macerator, extractor, compressor, electric furnace, and a recycler. I gave each one a stack of random material to process, and fueled them with one-shot batteries. None of them produced any sound, EXCEPT for when the material they were processing was removed mid-operation, inducing the "wrooonk" sound of the aborted job.

Then, I tested the generator types, by hooking up a regular generator, a geo, and a reactor to the working macerator (via glass cable, naturally). I fueled each of them in turn, and not one produced any sound at all. I then blew up the reactor for shiggles, and... No explosion sound. The crater simply materialized before my eyes.

The "wrooonk" proves that the mod is indeed producing sound. I performed these tests with all the other mods removed from my \mods folder, to make sure it wasn't some cross-mod calamity. I also checked the IC2.cfg file just to make sure that sounds were in fact enabled, and found that yes, they are. I suspect this may be an issue with Forge; some months ago, we had a similar audio problem wherein explosions were producing no sound, and the issue resolved itself with a later Forge update. I'm currently using Forge 4.1.1, if anyone's wondering. Any other thoughts or suggestions on this?

Yeah they were, I noticed a while ago that the emitters for positioning the sounds in 3D space lagged a bit, causing an odd "wub" effect in the volume if you moved towards or away from active machinery. First time something like this has happened though, and I gotta say, silent machines are depressing. :<

Thing is, I and all my chums are having the exact same issue. However, there is ONE sound which does actually play, and that's the "wrooonk" sound of when a machine stops due to lack of power.

SMP problem, perhaps?

It's in the topic title. Just installed IC² 106, for MC1.3.2, and it's completely silent for me; not hearing any of the generator or machine noises, and frankly it's rather saddening. I miss the roar of machinery; any idea what's up?

Yeah fair 'nuff. Plus, having the chunks loaded permanently will mean that the miner will keep working even if I'm far away from it, so there's that. I know my server can handle quite a few of these, especially since we're usually not far away from where I'd place them anyway, so I may stick a few in key industrial areas.

Oh and yes, I believe I was looking at the FML version. Oops :]

Actually I was looking at the wrong version number anyway. The actual Forge version is 3.3.7.135, client and server.

Also, additional testing. After placing the MFSU down in a new spot, I discovered that suddenly I could dismantle it perfectly fine. I tried various ways to get it "stuck," but to no avail. Then, I had an idea: I placed the MFSU down again, powered it up with a RE-battery as if I was going to start the miner, the re-drained the power. Then, I ran completely out of the miner's chunk range, to the other side of our currently-explored area, waited a bit, even logged out and back in. When I returned to the miner, I found that the MFSU and transformer were once again stuck, so it seems as though it's something to do with chunk loading/unloading, yes? If that's the case I can try making a RailCraft world anchour to keep the chunks loaded and prevent the problem.

Sorry for the late reply, reality got in my way last night and I forgot to check back.

Forge version is 2.2.48.135, I updated the server for IC² 1.97. Should I get a newer Forge build? The other two mods on the server are Train-and-Zeppelin mod 2.09 and Railcraft 5.3.3, all of which are at least allegedly inter-compatible.

Tried replacing the electric wrench; same problem. Tried using a regular bronze wrench; same problem. It's also worth noting that this ALSO occurs with the MV transformer I use so the miner doesn't overload, although not the LV transformer since that can of course be safely dismantled with a pickaxe/drill. Grrrm.

Moved from Engineering due to being in the wrong subforum, my apologies

Hey all,

Things have been going well for my chums & I on our little SMP server, well enough that our miner now runs off of an MFSU fueled with a single lapotron crystal, instead of two geothermal generators chewing up lava cells that require unending Nether trips to pump out. When we tried to move it, however, we hit a snag. It absolutely refuses to dismantle. Using a fully charged electric wrench and lap-pack, I've tried right-clicking the output face, right-clicking every OTHER face, and from all different angles. I've tried double-right-clicking all the faces. I've tried sneak-right-clicking all the faces. I've even tried sneak-double-right-clicking all the faces, and I've done this entire process both with the MFSU wired and unwired.

I've done this both while the MFSU contained a bit of power, and while it as empty. Neither slot contained any items. I've tried it with the electric wrench on lossless mode and non-lossless mode. Absolutely nothing will make the MFSU come down. At the moment, we're getting around the problem by temporarily switching to creative mode, punching the MFSU out of existence and picking up a replacement from the item list, but it's one hell of an annoying bug(?) nonetheless. Any suggestions here?

Hey all,

Things have been going well for my chums & I on our little SMP server, well enough that our miner now runs off of an MFSU fueled with a single lapotron crystal, instead of two geothermal generators chewing up lava cells that require unending Nether trips to pump out. When we tried to move it, however, we hit a snag. It absolutely refuses to dismantle. Using a fully charged electric wrench and lap-pack, I've tried right-clicking the output face, right-clicking every OTHER face, and from all different angles. I've tried double-right-clicking all the faces. I've tried sneak-right-clicking all the faces. I've even tried sneak-double-right-clicking all the faces, and I've done this entire process both with the MFSU wired and unwired.

I've done this both while the MFSU contained a bit of power, and while it as empty. Neither slot contained any items. I've tried it with the electric wrench on lossless mode and non-lossless mode. Absolutely nothing will make the MFSU come down. At the moment, we're getting around the problem by temporarily switching to creative mode, punching the MFSU out of existence and picking up a replacement from the item list, but it's one hell of an annoying bug(?) nonetheless. Any suggestions here?

True, but I already acknowledged the very low efficiency rating, and again: fuel is of absolutely no concern to us with the amount of uranium we've dug up and CONTINUE to dig up on almost every miner setup. Basically there are seven of us that play on the server, and about two three of us are usually on at once, plus we pool all of our uranium towards the same goal so we accumulate it very quickly. The first run of the reactors should keep us going for a few days anyway, our energy requirements aren't massive; frankly it's just more convenient than constantly sitting around in the nether, twiddling our thumbs while we wait for the miner/pump combos do belch out lava cells. The first run will "only" require 20 uranium cells, and for the 60 or more uranium ingots that remain I intend to split them among 8 cells each, producing near-depleted uranium cells and multiplying our fuel stock enough to keep us going virtually indefinitely.

Huh. That's... Huh. That is a really nice design, thanks! Looks like I still have a lot to learn about reactor design, although the lack of specification on the wiki doesn't help much. Oh well, live and learn.

While we're here, I have another reactor question regarding redstone. When a reactor is "deactivated" via a redstone signal, what exactly does that mean? Does it freeze the reactor's internal state? Say that a reactor has become hot enough to be an environmental hazard, radiation etc, and is then "deactivated." Will it continue to heat up until it goes critical, or will it just stay as-is, irradiating the area?

What-ho. :thumbup:

So my friends and I play on a little private SMP server, and recently we've reached the point where we're ready to start going nuclear. I played around with the reactor designer for a few hours last night, learning as I went, and I believe I've finally created something that has the perfect balance: http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…gl3am40kghjlvvjzszl9pbv9c

The requirements are pretty much to hit the "middle road." First and foremost, we want safety. Everyone except myself and one other bloke tends to be rather accident-prone, so I needed a design that I could be sure would not blow up under any normal conditions. With this particular design, removing just one of the singular uranium cells instantly turns it into a MkI-O with excess cooling, allowing it to cool down on the fly. We also want something that we can run fairly frequently, due to the large number of machines this will ultimately be powering (storage in multiple MFSUs), so the small 8-minute cooldown time is appealing, and 120/t is quite satisfactory to us since we've been running with geothermal power until now.

I realize that the efficiency is a bit low due to the number of fuel cells, but frankly we've been very lucky in our world and have dug up enough uranium to destabilize a small third-world nation. To us, the integrated heat dispensers are far more costly due to their lapis lazuli content, which is why I'm proud of the fact that this design only uses ten of the buggers. Overall, I think that for our available resources and supplies, as well as our safety record, this reactor fits the bill just about perfectly. Fact is, though, I've never actually tried building a long-term reactor setup before, so I want to know: how does this look to you guys? Good? Not so good? Better ideas?