Chainsaw Place Saplings

• I noticed something today. If you right click with the mining drill (only checked for the diamond version) on a block and you have torches in your inventory, it places a torch. It's a little odd, but it makes sense, as you can mine away without switching tools.

Then I was cutting some trees with the chainsaw and thought it should be able to do the same thing with saplings! I propose that if you hold a chainsaw and right click (NOT M-right-click) on a valid block while having saplings in your inventory, it will place one. Of course, since there are multiple types of saplings there'd be an issue of priority. I suggest going through inventory slots in order, with preference to the tool bar first, until saplings are encountered.

In this manner, cutting down and replanting trees will become a quicker and easier task, as one will no longer have to switch between your chainsaw and a stack of saplings.

• I don't see what that has to do in the Suggestions Section.

Anyway, it is, especially for mining, a great feature(Especially considering that it is one of those features not influencing the Game Balance at all-just making stuff easier, saving time going trough GUIs, without actually making something a different for the theoretical Computer playing Computer Games I just invented.)
    The Chainsaw, on the other Hand, may be problematic when felling natural diverse forests, since you will have more Saplings then you can plant, but with different types, selecting may be easy.

Anyway, a great feature anyway. Kinda.

Also, kinda is the new also. Kinda.

SPAm!

• It's in the suggestions section because I'm suggesting that this behavior be added to the chainsaw, which it currently does not have. I mentioned the behavior of the mining drill so the idea would sound more reasonable; I do that because people keep complaining about off-base ideas - I want to demonstrate that my ideas are grounded in reality.

• It's in the suggestions section because I'm suggesting that this behavior be added to the chainsaw, which it currently does not have. I mentioned the behavior of the mining drill so the idea would sound more reasonable; I do that because people keep complaining about off-base ideas - I want to demonstrate that my ideas are grounded in reality.

Ohh, okay. Maybe you should make it more specific that the Chainsaw Sapling thingy is not there yet, because I actually thought it would. Might interfere with the Sheeps though.

• Ohh, okay. Maybe you should make it more specific that the Chainsaw Sapling thingy is not there yet, because I actually thought it would. Might interfere with the Sheeps though.

Good point. I edited the post to make it more clear. Also, it shouldn't interfere with sheep. The right-click action is, I believe, smart enough to know what it is interacting with. So if a right click hits a sheep, it gets sheared. If it hits the top of a dirt or grass block, it plants a sapling. If it hits something else or nothing at all, it doesn't really do anything (unless there's other right click actions I don't know of). It can't do both. It's the same kind of behavior that allows you to push a button while holding a block.

• Official Post

The right-click place torch thing comes from Tinker's Construct.

No, it just makes sense really. It got added a little after in IC2, but the tinkers one only pulls from the slot next to it or from slot 9 in the hotbar, so ours is better :D

• Oh okay lol.

I kind of agree with this suggestion though. Makes sense. Then again, the chainsaw can be used to destroy grass etc and shear sheep and also a weapon. Maybe switch modes for the right-click ability? (E.g. mode 0 = charge on right-click, mode 1 = sickle on right-click, mode 2 = blocking on right-click.)

• Oh okay lol.

I kind of agree with this suggestion though. Makes sense. Then again, the chainsaw can be used to destroy grass etc and shear sheep and also a weapon. Maybe switch modes for the right-click ability? (E.g. mode 0 = charge on right-click, mode 1 = sickle on right-click, mode 2 = blocking on right-click.)

Well, a sapling can only be placed on the top of a dirt block. So if you right click grass, it wouldn't even try to place a sapling, it would act like a right-click on grass anyway (isn't shearing of grass done through left click?). And if you right click out into the air, it can have the charge ability it already has. And you have to hold it to block. We don't need multiple modes to implement all this behavior, just a context-sensitive right-click.

• Official Post

Pretty sure that is just the tool being updated. It does it automatically.