1.6.x to 1.7.x block ID discussion

• Hey there Avalanche,

Did you ever get an upgrade from 1.6.4 to 1.7.10 working?
    I would love some help with this. Still can't get the old world into 1.7.10.

Thanks!

You still about elliot_z? I said, ARE YOU STILL ABOUT :oD

I got 1.7.2 working. Annnnnd, I'm shortly going to try and get 1.7.10 working as well. Details to follow, if you are still interested, but the short(ish) version is:

- Backed up config files and World
    - Started again with the latest Minecraft installer, so deleted .minecraft folder
    - Used a Java Version 7, not 8
    - Selected and installed 1.6.4/mods from scratch (not the previously running setup using Magic Launcher)
    - Copied configs back
    - Re-saved the World in 1.6.4
    - Backed up World and config files
    - Deleted .minecraft folder
    - Started again, but this time selecting and installing 1.7.2 still using Java 7
    - Mods and configs back in
    - Working in 1.7.2

Yeah, I know I have not given any mod names or versions, but let me know if you want the full details, while I see if I can get 1.7.10 working. Then if you're still interested, I'll give you version numbers of everything I can find :o)

Possible important bits???
    - For me, not using Magic Launcher!
    - Not using Java 8 at all.
    - Trying 1.7.2 before 1.7.10.
    - *Complete* reinstall from scratch, even for 1.6.4

I really don't know. I'll see what happens with 1.7.10 though. I just thought you might like to know.

• Official Post

You're best updating to 1.7.2 first then 1.7.10, unless you go for some of the earlier 1.7.10 builds as Thunderdark removed the migration code as it wasn't needed anymore.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• You're best updating to 1.7.2 first then 1.7.10, unless you go for some of the earlier 1.7.10 builds as Thunderdark removed the migration code as it wasn't needed anymore.

But... but it was needed by me :o)

I'm thinking though that that might explain a lot. So, 1.7.2 first. Thanks for that.

@ elliot_z

Apart from definitely trying 1.7.2 first :o) one more thought: it may not affect you at all, but my .minecraft/bin folder had had the .jar file manually updated by myself over many, many versions and only had the config files copied over for each version update. The rest of the .minecraft folder was left alone, so my guess is it was a real mess.

When I used the latest Minecraft installer, it was the first time I had the option to manually select which version of Minecraft I wanted to install, so that was why I decided to start completely fresh and install 1.6.4 again, even though that was already working.

(I feel as though 'Minecraft' should somehow already be in the spell check. I'm not sure how exactly. Just... somehow.)

• An update for anyone who is in anyway interested :o)

1) Very important: as per the thread linked below, empty all safes before upgrading to 1.7.2, as the contents will disappear,

Personal Safe is empty after upgrading from 1.6.4 to 1.7.10

2) I am getting this bug:

http://bt.industrial-craft.net/view.php?id=1060

I can't access safes (even newly placed ones), as even in Single Player, the games doesn't think I own the safe.

I'm still going to update to 1.7.10 and see if the Safe issue is sorted and how things go in general. Then I think I'll go back to the 1.6.4 complete .minecraft folder backup I made, empty all the safes (maybe even pick them all up), then update to 1.7.2 and 1.7.10 again. I might be able to just recopy each .minecraft folder, just making new saves each time and then copying the saves across.

I'll see.

Other than that, I did my best to check all items and see if anything was messed up and it all seems fine. Railcraft still thought there were 57 ID issues which it warned me about, but... I really couldn't find *any* problems in game, so maybe I'm missing something there. Even Railcraft's tanks kept their liquid, which surprised me.

• Official Post

I can't access safes (even newly placed ones), as even in Single Player, the games doesn't think I own the safe.

I'm still going to update to 1.7.10 and see if the Safe issue is sorted and how things go in general. Then I think I'll go back to the 1.6.4 complete .minecraft folder backup I made, empty all the safes (maybe even pick them all up), then update to 1.7.2 and 1.7.10 again.

Your best bet is to empty and break all your safes if you want to keep using them, if they don't open it will be to do with the way they are saved, most likely using the player's name but trying to compare that to the player's UUID.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Your best bet is to empty and break all your safes if you want to keep using them, if they don't open it will be to do with the way they are saved, most likely using the player's name but trying to compare that to the player's UUID.

Yes, exactly what I did. I first updated to 1.7.10 and the problem was indeed fixed, but a fair amount of other stuff was lost/messed up, so I went with the original plan of going all the way back to 1.6.4 and emptying all the Safes and recovering them. Plus tried to recover what else I could.

Surprisingly quick and easy to make backups of the whole .minecraft folder, and just delete and copy/paste a different backup at will, adding the Save folder and the config stuff.

In the end IC2 is in really good shape, now that I've got all my nuclear stuff rescued from the Safes. So joy. I did laugh when I came so very, very close to picking up the fuel rods without a hazmat suit. I almost forgot about that.

Thanks for the advice, Chocohead. Appretiated.

Related, for those interested:-

Nuclear Control lost a fair bit, but considering it's really Nuclear Control 2, I'm fine with that. I can rebuild. I'm just glad NC2 is back.

Unrelated to IC2, but here for completeness :o) :-

It was Railcraft that kinda freaked out, losing a fair number of items (57), weird changes to some stretches of different rail types to plain Vanilla, but not all blocks. And changing a lot of rail types in chests to "tile.railcraft.default.name", but not when in the Personal Inventory, so I recovered a lot of that EDIT: I got that wrong, the rails types revert to "tile.railcraft.default.name" even when they are held in the Personal Inventory, so I guess I'm going to have to create all the rail stuff again. Recovered a lot of Steel, by just converting it into steel blocks, as they didn't go missing, so that was fine. The amount of Crushed Obsidian lost though was... well... I really don't want to talk it right now. I need some time.

:o)

Good news is, the air isn't freaking Steam Ovens, so overall I call it a big win :o)

My thanks to those, past and present, who make Industrial Craft. On top of everything else, kinda insane that a World could remain largely intact over so many Minecraft version updates.