[Question] Wind generator power output is now an integer?

• It looks like the wind generator outputs either 0, 1 or 2 EU/t but never say 1.3 or 0.4. This seems strange, is it intentional? Because my wind generators now will sit there at 0 output for a large fraction of the time, even though there is still some wind (can be seen from the wind indicator in the UI). I don't remember this happening at all in IC1. Could it be that power output is rounded down? So when output should be say 0.4 EU/t, it is rounded down to 0?

• Question, how do you know what the output is? At any tick the power output is either on or off, and It randomy gets *fuel* added depending on the wind, but produces power just like a generator. (last I checked anyway) This means that it will always produce an integer amount of power at any point in time, but if you average the power generated (use an EU reader over like a full day) you will probably get a fractional number.

• If it's either on or off, what EU/t is the wind gen supposed to produce when it's on? If you use a EU reader, you always get 0,1, or 2 EU/t, doesn't matter how long you average. It is certainly possible to get fractions of EU/t if you use a say a water gen, which produces 0.25 EU/t in 3x3 water if you measure it. So are you saying the water gen is only on every 4th tick? Does anyone actually know how these things work?

The reason why I think this is may be a problem is because the wind gen is supposed to produce 1.3EU/t on average, but if that is alway rounded down to 1EU/t, then you are missing a lot of power!! It may be even worse if say 0.9 EU/t is rounded down to 0!!!

Anyway, very few people seem to be using wind or water, since solar is IMHO too cheap in IC2, so if there's a bug in the wind gen then there's no point in using it at all!

• Official Post

After looking into the wind generator in detail, I'll start with what it is. It is in fact rounded down to the nearest whole number. Ranakastrasz has nailed precisely what it's supposed to do, which is (like the water mill) alternate between say 1 and 2 EU each tick depending on its fractional power generation, to achieve the expected average based on its placement height and the amount of empty space around it. Next version, it should be doing that. :)