Crater where base used to be, using "safe" reactor?

• Had a catastrophic meltdown using this reactor
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…heyzur5eeyrtsv4eaje4cem80

I've built that reactor several times on several worlds with no issues. It was on it's second set of fuel rods. I had just built a second reactor of the same design and both were feeding an IC2 MFSU. I started noticing i was being radiated even in a suit when i got near it, unfortunately I didnt get a chance to see what exactly was happening inside it b4 it blew. It did leave a HUGE crater. I basically lost everything. There were a few items floating around but I was unable to recover most of them due to filling inventory quickly. I was using Direwolfs latest updated modpack. Still trying to decide whether to try and salvage that world or start a new one.

So I'm wondering if overdrawing power would cause it to overheat? I had full set of ore processing and mass fab and replicator setup all over clocked and transformed to 512eu/t

Would two reactors right next to each other cause one to meltdown?

The one that melted down was just reaching the end of it's second cycle and I was preparing to change out the rods.

Do I need to do a step up transformer between the reactor and the MFSU? The MFSU was at about 1/3 capacity at the time. I never considered that it might be able to overdraw power from the reactor, is that possible?

I'll try to post screenshots of the crater. Right now I'm spawning at night in the middle of a pack of zombies that have killed me several times so can't really do it at the moment lol.

I think next time i'll just bite the bullet and build a blast proof reactor room. I hadn't been doing this because the reactors I've been using were pretty tame and hadn't had any issues.

Hope someone at least gets a laugh out of this. :D

• MFSUs and other storage devices can't draw power from anything, they can only receive it. The whole e-net is built on a basis of "if I have room in my internal buffer, advertise this fact so producers can send me packets". The reactor sends what it is capable of, and no more than that.

Now, unless you are playing multiplayer and someone messed with your reactor, I don't see how this one could possibly blow up either. You may have misplaced a component when setting it up initially; if the error is small enough, it can take nearly the entire cycle to overheat.

• Thanks Omicron for that clarification on the MFSU, it was what I thought prior to the meltdown but I'm just examining all the possibilities I could think of.

I'll allow that it could have been misplaced components, I guess I need to be more careful next time and do a side by side screen with the template and the reactor.

I also did not check the components regularly for heat damage since I had not experienced that previously with this design, that may have given me a warning of the issue.